Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title basically says it all. I did a couple of Alpha Legion test models and I'm not entirely happy, if you guys have some suggestions please let me know - example pics are welcome as well!

Strongly considering doing something like the Warriors of Chaos scheme - a combo of boltgun silver and a dark colored inkor something like that. Anyway, let me know!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Hotspike, as far as tabletop quality goes, these are fine. The scheme in our dex is much more time consuming, so I'd save it for HQ and such.

If you do feel like spending the time, however, you might consider watering down the green a bit more, and adding a mix of the blue and the green as a transition highlight, so that the line between the two is not so apparent.

Still lookin' good though!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with Bigphil. About all you need to do is blur the green a bit so it doesn't stand out quite so much. Other than that, they're a ton better than anything I can currently do ;)

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the kudos guys. I suppose blending is indeed the next practical step. It's not something I've ever seriously tried, as thus far I've always used the paint right out of the bottle, but after reading some posts on LO and some Youtube videos I'm convinced that if I'm going to get better than I've got to start trying. Right now I'm completely bankrupt, so there won't be any progress, as I need new painting supplies, but hopefully I'll keep working on these fellas and see what comes of it.

Still, I might try another test model and go for a sort of ambiguous color scheme, cross between Black Legion and WHFB Chaos Warriors - idk, I have a terrible time choosing an army. Played the game for years with proxies and borrowed models. Plus, Chaos is getting boring! Our codex needs more stuff that can significantly change the way we play.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the kudos guys. I suppose blending is indeed the next practical step. It's not something I've ever seriously tried, as thus far I've always used the paint right out of the bottle, but after reading some posts on LO and some Youtube videos I'm convinced that if I'm going to get better than I've got to start trying. Right now I'm completely bankrupt, so there won't be any progress, as I need new painting supplies, but hopefully I'll keep working on these fellas and see what comes of it.

Still, I might try another test model and go for a sort of ambiguous color scheme, cross between Black Legion and WHFB Chaos Warriors - idk, I have a terrible time choosing an army. Played the game for years with proxies and borrowed models. Plus, Chaos is getting boring! Our codex needs more stuff that can significantly change the way we play.
I'd try a Thraka Green wash on the models, should shade the colors down to a more dull blue/green. Also, it will give the metallics a sort of green sheen, if you are interested in that (it's what I do for my legionnaires, but it only really looks good on my Chaos Lord).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes, I have a suggestion.....

Alpha Legion ARE NOT GREEN

They are blue with silver trim. (Or in disquise as Ultramarines or some other chapter).

The green trim is something a crazy GW person came up with a few books ago...but it's not the original way to paint them.

So drop the green.....paint the trim black first, then metal.

Clay's Chaos
Index Astartes disagrees with you, hotspike has it right. they're blue with silver trim and a bit of a green sheen around the edges.
Blue Font Electric blue Machine Illustration

·
Warboss Alf
587 Posts
Do what you want, but like I said - they did NOT start out that way. If you don't like the green, leave it off. I started playing these guys in 1997, so look for a reference older than that with green on it (other than the emblem).

See this Landraider of mine? The only green on it is chained to the front.

In fact, I'm going to take credit right now for the Alpha Legion adding some green trim to their paint scheme!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts