Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that may want to start sisters, because she likes the fluff, but money is limited and she may want to play at a GW store. I was thinking of helping her out because I might want to play them too. Since I don't feel like paying over 130 usd a squad, I was thinking of getting regular marines and putting buying up some female heads, for a VERY simple conversion. Would this look right, or do the actual models differ in size?

·
3,395 Posts
They would look odd side-by-side with actual sisters models, but as a force of their own they could work.

Obviously you want to make sure you don't end up paying so much for the custom heads and parts that you could have gotten the sisters cheaper.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
The problem is that you want to play at GW. It means those heads have to be GW bitz as well - you can't go through sites like Victoria and others (not that female heads are easy to find anywhere as it is).
Your best bet would probably be to start looking at the Fantasy line of models. The obvious choice is Sisters of Slaughter, but at $5/model their bitz are probably pretty stinking pricey. If I were doing it, I'd go for the High Elf archer kit. They've got bobbed, jaw-length hair, and it's not like GW can sculpt the difference between a male/female face otherwise. This is what they look like:

The good news is that even most High Elf players don't want to use them for conversions, and you can get 16 of them for $35 if you absolutely must pay full-kit prices. So they're only ~$2/head (which is still steep, I know). You can get them at a reputable (where I go personally) eBay store at $3.50 for twenty, and they'll probably never run out.
LINKY
They've got a bit of armor on them, but I actually wouldn't mind that on Sisters. It's kind of "Wonder Woman meets Sparta" looking, and they've got ball-joint necks with modeled collars to fit nicely into your Space Marine bits.

Another suggestion from me: leave the shoulder guards off your Space Marines, it'll slim them down a bit. Maybe even use Dark Angels so that you can get some robes and the like, make them a bit less bulky looking.

·
1,249 Posts
I thought a model only had to be 75% gw to be official and that customizing with outside bits was fine?

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
If they're still allowing the 75% rule, then it has to be covered and unrecognizable. However, from the 'Warrior's Code' .pdf file:

1. All your miniatures have been produced by
Games Workshop (Citadel, Forge World or
Warhammer Forge).
We do not allow the use of other companies’ models, scenery or conversion kits at Warhammer World.
If we see such a model on a table, or we suspect that a model falls under this criteria, then we will politely ask you to remove it from the table.
Also, in regards to money-saving conversions:

9. You do not use proxies at Warhammer
World Events.
If there is a model available for any given unit, we expect you to use the correct model. If you wish to convert models to suit a theme for your army, please see the next section about conversions.
Examples of the kind of Conversions we would
want to check:
• Converting Centurions into Obliterators
• Using a converted Khorne Lord of Skulls as a
Bloodthirster
• Turning an Elf Dragon into an Eldar Exodite
tank
• Using a Bad Moons Rhino as a looted Ork
Trukk
So here's the deal: if she wants to play at GW stores or events, be prepared for them to site this stuff. Generally, GW can remove whatever they feel violates their terms from the table/store, because it's their right as a business. They don't want you using characters from a company that isn't GW - it's free advertising in their store, for their competitors.
Now, I haven't had many problems with this in the past, but be aware that it's something that could happen.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The obvious choice is Sisters of Slaughter, but at $5/model their bitz are probably pretty stinking pricey.
I'm surprised he didn't mention the High Elf Sisters of Avelon (sp?) or Wood Elf Sisters of the Thorn, but I think the Captain's nailed it there - it actually makes me want to convert some SoBs myself...

Another suggestion from me: leave the shoulder guards off your Space Marines, it'll slim them down a bit. Maybe even use Dark Angels so that you can get some robes and the like, make them a bit less bulky looking.
I'm not sure about leaving the shoulder pads off altogether. You could try rotating them, so they stick out (like old Dark Eldar shoulder pads) - that would be sort of in keeping with the style of the official models, but would add width and apparent bulk.

Perhaps if you can find some older marines, from 2nd edition or so, they may be slightly smaller, which would be appropriate. I think the Rogue Trader 'beakies' had backpacks that might suit too, but getting enough of those would cost a fortune.

Another, more radical, approach would be to try basing your models on Eldar Guardians, rather than Space Marines - but you'd need to source lots of imperial weapons and generally do more conversion than just a headswap, so I wouldn't recommend this for a newcomer to the hobby.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I'm surprised he didn't mention the High Elf Sisters of Avelon (sp?) or Wood Elf Sisters of the Thorn, but I think the Captain's nailed it there - it actually makes me want to convert some SoBs myself...

Another, more radical, approach would be to try basing your models on Eldar Guardians, rather than Space Marines - but you'd need to source lots of imperial weapons and generally do more conversion than just a headswap, so I wouldn't recommend this for a newcomer to the hobby.
I hesitated to suggest SoA (and especially SoT) heads for two reasons. First and foremost, I think that if you're using Marine bodies the WHFB female heads are going to be far too small. I'm having this problem with Gor and Dryad heads on my Chaos Warriors and Knights right now, and that's not even making the jump to the 40k line (which tends to be slightly larger overall). Secondly, the cost difference between the two is massive, considering that the kits are 16, 10, and 5 for the number of models/heads provided.

Using the Eldar models as a base would certainly work, and sourcing bolters shouldn't be too hard, actually. You'd need heads, and this is where you might be able to get away with the female Fantasy heads, although I'd probably just poach the hell out of the Dark Eldar range. With the slimmer Eldar models though, you'll probably be expected to sculpt the breasts (on most of them - Guardians come with a handful of female bodies, iirc), and that could be tough for a newbie.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As I said, I think you've nailed it with the HE Archers heads - great suggestion.

My puzzlement was why you thought Sisters of Slaughter more obvious than Sisters of Avelorn - both seem to have the same drawbacks (size, price, not really being the right style anyway).

Anyway, it seems that plenty of people have tried these ideas, e.g.:

Sisters of battle converted from Eldar Guardians - Forum - DakkaDakka

More Tanks #thedailypaint and New Sisters of Battle (Greenstuff Robes) | Plastic Warriors

sisters of battle | eternalhunt

·
Registered
928 Posts
I would think the most obvious base would be Space Marine Scouts. They're a little smaller than the normal marines, and should work ok (you'd need to sculpt half tabards on all of them, because the crotch on their armor is definitely male).

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm still wondering why I thought "hey, Sisters are FINALLY getting into a new, REAL book. It's not their own codex, but maybe they'll finally come back with rules that aren't crap, and be fun!" Maybe they'll even get new, better models, or at least ones that aren't pewter!" They ARE in the new Inq book, at least to some degree, and I suppose they ARE getting a new Canoness, made out of resin (I think it was resin), but nothing on their site seemed to hint, yet, at any other new stuff, like their one tank that fell off, years ago, any other new, interesting units, or just plastic minis. Oh well, at least I'm not surprised, and MAYBE they will be doing some of this; just not right now, when they are tossing out so many other goodies (possibly decent 1K Sons).

I will keep wondering, though, if "new" Sisters will still be their WD entry/ebook, but now just penned into a real book, or of they got any (preferably good) rules revamps. Will have to wait for my Inq Codex to arrive. ;)

As for your friend wanting to field them, I'd personally say stick with the Sisters. Thing is, modding Space Marines into "not exactly female Space Marines" is going to look weird. Certainly, the Adepta Sororitas is heinously overpriced, thanks to still being pewter, but I've personally never really seen them play great as a stand-alone force, anyway; not since Codex: Witchhunters. I've seen one battle report where they DID play okay, against Orks, but they have some glaring weaknesses, and their best trick used to be inducting others to patch that up. Now, with Inquisitorial Agents, they can do that, again, by allying. You can bring their effective units, and field some other fighters to the cause. If you do that, then the number of original Sisters you need is considerably fewer. This is mostly just my own opinion, though. While you shouldn't, necessarily, have to pay Sisters prices to play Sisters, if you don't, and others see you play, you might get some smart comments, even if your conversions look nice.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
The Imperial Agents supplement apparently has a full army list for the Sisters. That, plus the new Canoness model, tells me that GW is either testing the waters to see if plastic Sisters would sell, or that they are telling the existing Sisters community that they are still considered an existing line that won't be eliminated in the near future.

And considering that GW's new head seems to finally be listening to the community (Chaos Legion rules, Age of Sigmar point values, fan-fuelled FAQ), that hopefully means that they will listen to the outcry for more Sisters.

·
3,395 Posts
The Imperial Agents supplement apparently has a full army list for the Sisters.
This has now been mostly leaked. Changes of note -
-Celestine gone
-Units split up into FoC slots (priest HQ, command squad elite, conclave into component parts available in its original form as a formation, etc)
-Rules and costs basically unchanged - a few minor things such as faith lasting until the end of the turn (but still started half way through) and the immolator officially getting its fire point back.
-The detachment is pretty much a regular FoC that trades obsec for a once per game reroll saves of 1 and a compulsory elite purchase.

Rules-wise it's pretty much the ebook in print, albeit weaker for the loss of Celestine and the restrictions imposed on priests.

The limited edition Canoness is said to be a Jacobus-like walking buff aura - a 12" bubble of precision attacks, but armed herself with nothing more than a strength 3 power sword and bolt pistol.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You mean they aren't re-hashing them?

Aw, nuts. And I was already disappointed that they weren't getting new minis (at least not in the plural). And dropping Saint Celestine (easily their best mini in the range) completely makes up for that one addition.

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
You mean they aren't re-hashing them?

Aw, nuts. And I was already disappointed that they weren't getting new minis (at least not in the plural). And dropping Saint Celestine (easily their best mini in the range) completely makes up for that one addition.
Oh nobody said they were not getting new models. And St.Celestine was dropped so folk could get THIS.

Have fun.

Have any of you seen the Grishnak 'War maidens' up close'? They are pretty much perfect from my point of view, and it's clearly no co-incidence.

https://spikeybits.com/2016/05/grishnaks-new-plastic-sister-models-we-update.html

https://spikeybits.com/?s=Grishnak
[MENTION=86688]Luther144[/MENTION] - Thread necromancy is not looked upon with kindness around here. If you have a question like this or something to share of this nature, please start a new thread.

JvK B)

·
867 Posts
Yes those new plastic Sisters of Battle look great. Hopefully they will re-issue the entire range with new plastic figures. I have the old Celestine but the way the new one looks, oh man I really want it! And apparently there are new Seraphim-type models seen with her in that photo. If GW does do the full line of Sisters in plastic that would be the most opportune time for anyone who wants to start a Sisters of Battle army.

My understanding is that there will be some content regarding the upcoming Sisters products in the next White Dwarf, but I may very well be wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts