• No

Votes: 43 63.2%
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...plays against myself?

Just wondering here. If you do play against yourself, do you show any form of bias towards one particular side?

As for me, I do quite a bit. It's how I learn what some units can and can't do, and get more liberal experimenting with stuff than I ever would/could in a competitive game, and it's an EXCELLENT time killer.

-AFG

·
the mandrake
352 Posts
I voted no because
a) I would be totally biased towards my Dark Eldar and
b) I only own one full army, which is probably why I'd be so biased towards it.
Even if I did, I'd probably not let any of my favourite models die, so it would be pretty pointless for me. But it doesn't make you strange, people play chess against themselves. I can't do that either 'cause for some reason i'm always biased towards the black pieces.

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
I play might against myself on occasion when I am trying out a new unit or strategy and none of my friends are around. I try not to bias toward any particular army, as I try and honestly think about what I would do in each situation for both sides. The hardest part is that I cannot "trick" myself, because I know what I am planning, so fight are usually brutal, and might not be representative of anything but how good a unit is.

·
King of France
737 Posts
I do not play with myself, much.

I only do it when I'm bored, because god forbid I actually finish painting something!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nope.

Although I math hammer something chronic and really that's virtually the same. I also create dozens of army lists I never use, and character builds I never try which again is the same sort of thing.
In fact I suppose actually putting the models on the table and using them is probably better than thinking about it!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sometimes put together small one or two squad forces just to see how something might work in the game. I try mathhammer but if i really want to know how my lictor will fare against a couple of terminators, i drop them on the table and see how it plays out. I never however go so far as to create army lists and place terrain... hahahah that's just a little sad.

I can just picture myself with a nice glass of wine on a saturday night playing warhammer against myself... lol!

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Don't know what I could learn playing against myself that I couldn't learn with a calculator. If you enjoy it, who's to question that? As a pracitce technique? Seems like a good way to get caught badly offguard when you develop expectations about what's going to happen based on your own playstyle!

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
:D:D:D

Well, I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to go there... While it did take longer than expected, I've not been disappointed. Bravo, Liffrea!

As for playing against myself, (not going there, either...) not really, no. Some minor math hammer, but that's it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah I play with myself and I try not to be biassed towards a one of the sides. This works most of the time if I don't cheat like saying: oops that roll doesn't count because (fill in an excuse). And playing against yourself can be useful for testing new tactics and units.

·
I'm back!!
851 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I didn't. To be honest, I yearn for combat but there are so few people who play here, I bearly ever get a chance to face anyone. :(

ALl these years of playing against myself have taught me to be somewhat unbias towards both sides. Although theres always teh occation that i'll be shooting...some crazy roll of 1s comes up...and i'll reroll lol. I like playing Emperor...:p

-THe God of all Machines

·
Registered
65 Posts
I tried once, and found myself completely biased towards my loving LM. I even set one of the units up for a chain reaction through my slaan's magic...

·
Registered
301 Posts
He = Problem with playing 40K or any game like it with yourself is that you first have to know the rules really really well. Start playing with errors and there is no one to correct you - or question you - so you can end up making huge huge errors (me and my bother -- many many many years ago got the turn rules messed up in our match against each other = each of us moved then each shot then each assualted - confusing)
On the other hand, once you know the game that well you know that you cannot really impove your tactics because you already know what you are going to do and how you want to counter it - no surprise element.
Plus

they always fell into games of proper toy soldiers xD Pew pew pew and everything! xD
because they are truly more epic! and don't need you to roll dice ever moment!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.