Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Real Xeno
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

So, I always used black undercoat but I`m going to start to paint my orkses soon and I just don`t know if I have to basecoat under the orkhide shade foundation.
Supposed to be a basecoat paint but in the "how to piant orkses" section (somewhere) they were using chaos black undercoat prior the orkhide shade.

So, do I use chaos black or do I not? What difference does it make? (Other then the shade) Does it badly effect the outcome of the whole painting?

It is all about lazyness :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I find that a black undercoat will darken your later paints considerably.. this has led to very good shadows in the recesses.

To paint Chaos Black undercoat under the orkhide shade foundation could produce some great results.. Me personally, I prime black anyway, so any base coats already have a black undercoat..

Regardless, always prime. don't rely on the foundation as a primer. Use white primer if you want more vibrant colors, use black if you want darker, and grey for more neutral.. Least that is my rule of thumb.

·
318 Posts
Black primer vs Chaos Black undercoat really doesn't make that much of a difference. I've painted on an undercoat when I didn't have spray primer available a few times, and I can't see any difference in the results. It's more what color you're using as opposed to how it's applied.

·
141 Posts
I know a lot of people swear by black - that's fair enough, you do get good shadows but actually I really like the way that white can make the colours stand out - although I tend to wash it after undercoating white, just to dull it down slightly and as also as a painting guide. Black does a good job on a mini where it's hard to get in there with a brush - you can just leave some parts black completely. I tend to switch between the two every now and then.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
It all depends on what you are painting. If you want bright colours or you are painting a mini that has strong colours ie Blood Angels, Imperial Fists etc then white undercoat is a must. If painting dark or dull minis then black is the way forward. However, I do occasionally mix my undercaoats. Mask off an area and spray black and then the other area white and so on. It all depends on what the miniture is going to look like and what I want the colours to do. Remember that artists often dull their canvas down to a pale umber colour to help them paint and see their colours on their canvas better. This is quite true of mini painting to a degree.

Undercoating also gives a 'key' for the brushed paint to stick too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.