Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been reading the tutorials and trying out the techniques on my brand new army of boyz. Still not that great at highlighting, but I loves me some washes. Tried mixing some paints, and...

I've got Citadel paint pots, and I've got a lil' palette tray. But how do I get the paint from one to the other? "just tip and pour" seems to waste paint and make a mess (or maybe I just fail at paint-pouring?) Should I be using my paintbrush to transfer paint to the palette, do I need to get an eyedropper (and how would I keep it clean, oy?)

I figure there has to be a simple solution, because I haven't seen anyone ask anywhere. Can anyone help? I like the results, I just don't want to pour all my paint out on my palette to get 'em if I can avoid it.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
I would buy yourself a new paint brush. I have one and its used for transferring paint and mixing. This saves my actual painting brushes from being ruined.

Alternatively you could try to get your hands on some dropper pots and transfer them into those bottles.

Kuffy

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
First off, the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask.

This is one of the reasons I hate Citadel paints. I use a toothpick to transfer paint from those bottles, but when you get a chance, invest in some paints by Reaper or Vallejo. Dropper-tip bottles FTW!

·
Chilli Fueled Heretic
5,839 Posts
I have always used my painting brush to mix and transfer my paint. I have some brush cleaning solution that removes any remaining paint from the bristles.

Im sure you know already, but its a good idea to water you paints down slightly. It will make them last much longer and keep the fine detail visible on the models.

Dan

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I use an old beat up bigger sized brush.

The more frayed and spread out the bristles are the better they tend to hold a lot of paint so it's ideal for transfering from the pot to the pallete.

I use water bottle caps to hold my paint so I just scrape the brush against the side of it to get the paint off the brush then I clean the brush.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
I also (gasp, shock) paint straight out of the pot with a slightly damp brush.. I use a daylight bulb to paint under and i find that using a palette means that my paint dries out in super quick time due to the heat off the bulb..
If you get practiced at it, you can actually not wash your brush between pot colour transfer.. i usually do this when i am mixing a custom colour.. i know, i'm lazy but mehh /shrug

I've not used any other paints.. but i've been using Citadel paints in their various forms for the past 20 years and i rather like them.. although I miss the old skool inks.

my £0.02

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I too am a straight out of the pot painter, using the inside of the lid as a pallet. I dont mix colours anymore, i found i could never get the same shade twice. Not what i wanted for massed infantry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.