Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What happens when an ambushing unit's entry point is blocked by enemy/friendly units? I wouldn't place the entry point in such a blocked area, but it can happen that the entry point ends up in a blocked area if the ambushing unit fails its leadership test.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just scatter them an inch to the left or right of the blocking unit. In essence, they come on wherever they come on, but they must stay an inch away, so randomize it.
I played a game against Orcs and Goblins recently. My opponent had blocking units cover approximately the entire one half of his deployment area. When my ambushing herds came on one failed its leadership check and the scatter dice pointed to somewhere very close to the centre of this blocked area. If we had used your scatter suggestion, the herd would have had to be moved some 20".

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I played a game against Orcs and Goblins recently. My opponent had blocking units cover approximately the entire one half of his deployment area. When my ambushing herds came on one failed its leadership check and the scatter dice pointed to somewhere very close to the centre of this blocked area. If we had used your scatter suggestion, the herd would have had to be moved some 20".
Left or right was unclear. To one side or the other of the blocking unit, along the table edge. Make sense? 1-3, one direction. 4-6, the other.

Either that, or you go straight into combat.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left or right was unclear. To one side or the other of the blocking unit, along the table edge. Make sense? 1-3, one direction. 4-6, the other.

Either that, or you go straight into combat.
Perhaps I was being unclear myself. I hope the diagram below illustrates my point a little clearer.

----------------------X----------------------------Y--------------------------------------------------
|AAAAA BBBBB CCCCC DDDDD EEEEE FFFFF
|AAAAA BBBBB CCCCC DDDDD EEEEE FFFFF
|AAAAA BBBBB CCCCC
|AAAAA BBBBB CCCCC
Z
|
|
|

Units A, B, C, D, E and F are deployed against the table edge. One of my ambushing herds fails its leadership test and its entry point is randomly determined to be at X. The herd cannot enter the table at X, because it is blocked. If I use your approach and randomly enter to the left or right of the blocking unit(s) then the herd would come on from point Y or Z, both of which are a long way from X.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Y or Z is the best the Beasts could do though, so i agree with David. requires a house rule i think. Either go straight into combat, or 1-3/4-6 for sides.

In a 12" deployment zone... who deploys like that?? lol... thats just a general question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a 12" deployment zone... who deploys like that?? lol... thats just a general question.
I play a heavy ambush army (6 ambushing beast herds) backed up by 5 chariots. My opponent has played against the list before, and he found that beast herds in the rear area and chariots in the front area made it very difficult to move without being charged in the nether region. He was trying to simplify the situation by making it impossible for my ambushers to get into the rear area. He didn't actually block the area using blocks of infantry: he blocked the area using 4 goblin bolt throwers, 2 goblin glider thingies, 1 unit of 5 goblin wolf riders and 1 unit of 7 savage orc boarboys.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
except you can't go directly into combat. The ambush rules specifically state that the unit comes on from the board edge just like they had pursued off the edge, thereby it is impossible to march or charge and even shoot (not that it matters for beastmen)

Your stuck with points Z or Y whether you like it or not. Ambushing is not very reliable and sometimes not even advantageous to the beastman player. I had a player deploy a 25 gnoblar unit all along the back and front of his deployment zone just to keep me from ambushing from that corner one game. They were 8-10 tall and about 15 or so long.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Sorry, double post. Pressed enter by accident, and didn't know.

Oh well. Ive got this space to myself now, so i might as well do something useful with it...

GO BEASTMENT!!!! KICK SOME HUMAN OR WOODELF BUTT! THEN EAT IT OR WHATEVER...

Tim

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Go to page 43 of the BRB. You have to treat the unit as if it had pursued off the table.

The table is moved to 'as close as possible to the same point...'.

So, David, you'd only have to dice off if the point of entry was equaly distant between two possible 'closest' entries.

It's impossible to enter combat from ambushing, save an effect from a spell.

Regards, Tim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.