Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone use a list like this:
GW Online : Warhammer : Wood Elves : Ambusher Tactics

I was thinking it sounded fun and was wondering if anyone could give me any experiences, tactics, unit composition, army lists, or any other general advice about it?

I was also wondering, do I have to give a lord the Waywatcher kindred for him to join a unit of Waywatchers? Or can I just give him the scout kindred so he can still scout with the Waywatchers, but still use a magic bow and magic arrows?

·
A Freaking Ninja!
271 Posts
the only kindreds that effects what units you can join is wildrider & glamourweave, these you can only join forest spirit units

apart from that you can join units as normal

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
you can't use the special scouting rules if you put a scout lord in with your waywatchers.

Yes, a waywatcher lord can use magic bow and arrows, but he will lose the lethal shot.

What point size are you thinking? There are so many weaknesses in this type of army, depending on who you face, you could lose the game by turn 3. I don't think this would be as effective as you think. Maybe I'm just a debbie downer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm shooting for a 2,000 pt. list, and I wouldn't play this type of list to win, it just seems fun, so effectiveness isn't my top priority, it still plays a part however, that's why I wanted to know any strategies or anything. :)

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Well, probably the first strategy would be to make sure there is plenty of terrain on the board. WE have to have trees, so if your opponent is playing on a board with lots of rocks and hills, or impassible terrain, you may not have anywhere to scout. The only advantages the waywatchers have over the regular scouts is the lethal shot (rarely comes into play), and the fact that they can scout within 10" if unseen. Yes their BS is better, but the scouts are quite a bit cheaper, so I think that's a wash.
Another major disadvantage of the scout/WW characters is their inability to take combat effective weapons. At some point, you're going to have to fight. You're going to get charged, if for no other reason, than to keep you from shooting. My main problem with these kind of lists, is that your guys shoot just as well from far away as they do up close. If there was some kind of killer unit that could get really close, then eveyone would take them (ie. alter nobles, wardancers with moonstone, etc) otherwise, the whole point of having ranged weapons, is to shoot them out of range of the enemy. I don't know if there is any strategy to this kind of list, because I don't think anyone plays it. The list on the website was intimating more towards a fast moving list with skirmishers wasn't it? Glade riders and waywatchers with forest spirits. That makes some sense, but why not use the other units. IF you want to scout a couple of units, get 2 small units of waywatchers instead of the eagle. Then get some gladeriders and wildriders and forest spirits to back them up. The problem with the list that GW proposes as the ambush list, is that you have nothing that can stand combat. This army can only kill other ambusher armies. None of the units can hit hard enough to make the enemy disappear. It could work in small point games, but in a large army list, it doesn't have a chance. Nothing is over str4 in the entire army. Most of the army is str3. Dryads are good, but they are generally horrible against ranked units. You're basically hoping for the opponent to line up his guys and you try to panic them all off the table. It's unrealistic. I would instead go for a faster moving army which hits hard. You have to have something that can smack teh opponent or burn through armor, otherwise there are several armies that will just eat you alive.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What you need in an army list like this, is something thats gonna hit hard and cause your opponent to panic.

I tired something similar to this, where I took glade guards, lots of dryads, and lots of waywatchers/ 2 treemen

If your gonna try this take an alter lord with bow of loren, arcane bodkins and glamourweave. Trust me this will really help you. You should be ale to panic several troops really easily.

I find a waywatcher noble lacks because he can't benefit from the lethal shot rule, with a magic bow or arrows. Which would be a load of fun with a hail of doom arrows.

Please refrain from using internet speak on this forum, such as "u" in place of "you". It’s against the forum rules and makes your posts difficult to read. - Arklite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.