Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ello all. Right I used to be a VC player back in the day of Nagash. *Shudder* But I lapsed and fell to playing other armies. Now back to the forces of Undeath and for my first challenge there is a Fantasy Double's Tournament. I need to field 750 points. My partner is a Wood Elf Player so I was thinking about doing an army from the Barrows in Athel Loren.

Wight King
w/ Lance and Skeleton Steed

Black Knights ( 5 )
w/ Banner Bearer

Skeletons ( 20 ) x 2

then for flavour, either 2 Cairn Wraiths and a Banshee or a Vargulf

Now, it has been said to me I need a vampire as the army general, I can't find this rule in the book. so if you can direct me to it, I'd be most thankful. Other advice I got, was that I'd really need a magic user. Considered this, I could drop the Rare choice and take a Necromancer and the Banner of the Barrows.

What advice can you chaps give me?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
read pg88, first sentence under the 'choosing characters' chart. so yes, you must always include at least 1 vampire in a vampire counts army!

as for your theme, i suggest this to 'count as' a powerfull barrow king:
vampire w/dark acolyte, avatar of death, sword of kings + other item.
so, you've got a Lv2 wizard to handle all your resurrecting needs, and you still have killing blow as all wights do! with the last of your magic items pts, you could go for some magic armour, or perhaps the black periapt to swap a dice between magic phases?

you could even say nuts to magic entirely and opt for the fighter powers like infinite hatred, walking death, red fury or such... (red fury with a few killing blows on multi-wound targets pegasus knights/characters can get really silly!!!)

either way you choose to go though, i would advise that you get at least 1 magic user into your list... undead in general can't fight their way out of a soggy, wet & falling apart bag that's already half decomposed! we tend to still rely on the good 'ol tactic of static combat res + outnumbering to grind down and eventually break our foes.

anyways, i hope this helps,
cheers!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah-ha! Excellent. Thank you. *underlines sentence*

Right, What about a Vampire with Dread Knight and Infiniate Hated or Supernatural Horror?
Book of Arkan and Black Periapt?

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I can make a suggestion about your list: drop the Black Knights and get GraveGuard.
The WoodElf player can take core cavalry and has access to Wild Riders. You should be using your army as the inglorious anvil to his attacks, providing plentiful, expendable units that can protect or boost his limited resources.

Drop out the Wraiths and focus on Magic Defense.
Wood Elves probably won't have much defense. Ask him what he's doing about magic. If he's going with defense, I'd still take the Varghulf over the 3 Wraiths. You're going to be on the "average" end of the magic spectrum for the first time in your career, trust me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
*Looks at his beatuifully converted plastic Black Knights and the left over bits from the box of Grave Guard he had made them with*
Um... maybe next time. :)

Yeah, I dropped the Banshee and Wraiths, took a Necromancer with a Staff of Socerery or Book of Arkan and Black Periapt, while spending the remaining points on the Banner of the Barrows.

I'm generally not a magic heavy man, I have a Fire Wizard in my Empire Army (magic defence Provided by my 2 Warrior Priests) and my Dark Elves have only a lvl 2 scroll caddy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Make an ethereal vampire, the WE player can cast bear's anger on him and he can rage around the board pwning things with the 2 wraiths and banshee.

EDIT: Disregard this, only lord level WEs can use lore of beasts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts