Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading through several threads on this forum about people's various experiences in the hobby, I thought a cool thing to have would be a thread where we could all tell the general story of our wargaming...how the hobby we all share is unique to each of us, and what it means to you and I as players, modelers, and painters. So I drew up the following questions, and I'm hoping this catches on and people answer them on the thread.

Copy and paste the questions, and answer away. I hope you enjoy it!

1. Name (or username) and location.

2. How did you get started in wargaming?

3. Are you primarily a gamer, or more into painting and modelling, or perhaps both equally?

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game?

5. Tell us about your greatest and / or proudest achievement in the hobby.

6. What is your favorite model? What's your best painted or converted model?

7. Do you play more on a casual level, or in tournaments?

8. What are the best and worst experiences you've had in gaming?

9. What are some wargaming websites that you really like?

10. What should we know about you as a wargamer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start.

Ben T. (Tekore on most forums). Durham, NC

I got sick a few years ago, and was looking for a relaxing, low stress hobby. Painting army men sounded like fun, and soon I was hooked! I remember seeing the cover of the Bretonnian book from Warhammer Fantasy in a storefront, and thinking that I really liked the look of the Knights...one thing led to another, and I've never regretted a thing!

3. Are you primarily a gamer, or more into painting and modelling, or perhaps both equally?

I got into the hobby to paint and model, but I have grown to enjoy playing games as well, and do so quite successfully. If forced to choose, I suppose I'd go with painting, but only by a bit. I think I'm a good all around wargamer.

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game? What armies do you have?

I have armies for Warhammer 40K, Warhammer Fantasy, Hordes, and Warmachine. WFB, however, is my main game. I get a few games of 40K in a year, and very little of the Privateer Press games.

My armies are:

Warmachine - Khador
Hordes - Trollbloods
40K - Raven Guard, Imperial Fists
Fantasy - Bretonnians, Dark Elves, Beastmen

Wow. Finishing a fully painted Raven Guard army was a big moment for me, and my Dark Elves are looking pretty good as well. On the gaming side, any tournament where I get top sportsmanship and painting scores makes me pretty proud.

I also run a Fantasy tournament each year in Durham, NC, called Grail Quest. It's at www.thebigbluewaaagh.com/grailquest. It's been a big success, and is something I'm proud of.

My favorite model is the Harbinger of Menoth from Privateer Press. I've owned it for years, and haven't had the nerve to paint it yet. The painted models that I'm most proud of are my Dark Elf army, as I managed a unique and good looking paint scheme universally across a large army.

I'm very much a tournament player, as those are the events I'm best able to schedule around my work, as compared to weekday night games. I also enjoy playing to the best of my ability and challenging myself.

Best - I think the best experiences I've had in games are those cinematic moments that come from throwing caution to the wind, like a lowly Scout Sergeant charging and killing Abaddon in close combat. The greatest thing I've gotten from the hobby are the people I've gotten to know, near and far, through the game.

Worst - Rude and unfriendly gamers ruin my experience. I've had a few just outright hostile opponents, especially in tournaments, and they can really flush my day. However, I've found that these folks tend to work themselves out of the scene, so it's worked out in the long run.

One of the first sites I came across, and one of my absolute favorites, is Librarium Online. It's friendly and helpful. I'm also a regular reader of Warseer, although I don't post there much. I have my own blog, The Quiet Limit of the World, at quietlimit.blogspot.com. Also, a great site for the North Carolina and surround community is www.thebigbluewaaagh.com.

I'm a perfectionist with my own play, but I think the most important thing in a game is for both players to have a great time. I'm constantly friendly and cracking jokes at the table, or at least I try to be that way. I'll almost always give you the benefit of the doubt.

Tekore

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
I like talking about myself...here we go...

James, Chester UK

A friend introduced me to D&D in around 1987, then Heroquest- and from their I learnt about GW- soon afterwards a GW store opened up in my local city and I bought my first ruleset- WHFB 3rd edition

Painting, I rarely game, much to my regret

See above, none! I've always been more interested in WHFB until fairly recently when the speed and ease of play of 40k seems more attractive to me- I also own a few different Warhammer Historical rulebooks- Legends of the Old West/High Seas, Trafalgar, WAB and Great War and i'm collecting some things for them too.

The armies I own are:

WHFB: Dwarfs, Empire, High Elves
40k: IG, Emperors Children CSM, Eldar, Orks
WAB: Early Imperial Romans
Great War: Early War BEF and Imperial Germans

Managing to collect several largeish, fully painted armies is a source of pride for myself.

I have no idea...its been a long day at work...I do like all of the Dwarf Lords.

Casual, I wouldn't know where to start with tourneys

No bad ones, its all been splendid- a source of constant joy for me.

LO is the only one for me!

I'm not your typical wargamer (but then who is?) and I actually suck at wargaming- but i'm a nice opponent

·
2,076 Posts
Omegoku Ireland

Back when I was 12, Memnoch found a leaflet advertising 40k. The decision was made to get into the hobby.
My brother and I got the 3rd Edition Starter pact, I got Marines and he got Dark Eldar. Memnoch picked up some Marines too.

I seem to spend more time painting and assembling these days, I get a game in every month or 2. Back when we started I would easily play 2 games or more a day, everyday we didn't have school.

40k is my primary game. I have never stopped playing it.
I have a Dark Elf army for WFB but haven't gotten to use it in over 3 years
I have played Mordenheim, Necromunda and GorkaMorka. All of which were fun and brief.

Keeping the hobby going for over 12 years, through a recession, the birth of my Son, Moving house twice and getting married

I love the Techpriest Enginseer model, he is my most recently painted but I've wanted him for years.
I love the Deathwatch marines too.
I converted an Ordos Xenos Inquisitor from Commander Azrael of the Dark Angels, giving him Cortez(?) warhammer and a deathwatch bolter. I then Green stuffed some glasses on him.

I am very much casual gamer, playing for fun and for fluff.
Played in one tournament, wasn't much fun so I never tried again.

Best: dunno
Worst: Getting Sun stroke from painting Termagants in the summer heat. Took a few months to be able to look at them without feeling quezy
Lib online only
Fluff is my favourite, keeps me going between games

·
running
1,274 Posts
Simon (xbanditsx). Boston, MA.

I had an older cousin who played 2nd edition Chaos Marines and he introduced me. I painted sporadically for a long time until 4 years ago when I got seriously into 4th edition 40k with a good friend.

The vast majority of my hobby time was painting only until about 2 months ago when I stumbled onto a local Warmachine group. Now I play there once a week and paint in my free time.

4. Which games do you play? What is your primary game? What armies do you have?
I play Warhammer 40k, Fantasty, and Warmachine. Warmachine is my primary army. I have a small Tau army, Crimson Fists, Wood Elves, and Khador.

I get a big smile anytime anyone at the store tells me they like how I've painted my models.

My (current) favorite model is Jeremiah Kraye. The best model I've ever painted is a toss up between a few - The Butcher, a Sons of Orar veteran, or a Crimson Fists veteran.

I've only played in one tournament, so I'd have to say casual. I would enjoy playing in more tournaments but haven't had the opportunity yet.

I can't think of any horrible experiences I've had. The best one would be when I found the Warmachine group that I play with now because I had really wanted to play.

LO is my go-to site but I also post stuff on the Ammobunker. I read a lot of blogs too, my favorites being my own (stuck-between-stations.blogspot.com), REINFORCEMENTS (tpcreinforcements.blogspot.com), and From The Warp (fromthewarp.blogspot.com).

I'm horrible at playing wargames.

·
Registered
665 Posts

Lewis Botting, therefore Lewbot1. Wales, Near Abergavenny

Dad painted and assembled Ships as a kid, Grandad kept painting ships, when I was 10 I got my first models, a box of roman legionairres around 2 cm tall... I learnt to paint small things first which was hard when doing detail. when I saw Warhammer 40k models I was 11 Played with Older edition rules as they were cheaper. Powercreep and simplification of rules began. I vowed not to return until rules got better again. Sold my Marines and started WHFB with Lizardmen who I've had ever since.

I'd love to game more but current constraints (time mainly) prevent me from gaming as often as I'd like :/

Ex 40k Marine player, Current WHFB player with Lizardmen.

Finishing my 2000pt Lizardman army in under a year, Going with my friend on a solo wargaming/drinking weekend to Warhammer World and Games day!

Ancient Stegadon with an Engine of the Gods, for those who don't know its a giant Dinosaur with epic killing power :)

Casual, dont have time for tourney play but I would like to!

Routing over 50% of a skaven 2000pt army in one turn has to be my best moment, My worst was seeing a night goblin with 1 wound left, hack down my dragonslayer who still had full wounds :(

Librarium Online :p

I have a deep hatred for current watered down 40k rules and over powered armies... I don't hate 40k players though I just pity them for their lack of knowledge of how it used to be! Other than that I'm a pretty nice guy :D

·
859 Posts
8people, England :)

My two best friends in high school got into it after on of their brothers played Orcs. They both picked two of the elf races and I was allocated the Dark Elves - apparently they fit me the best - lol!

All three interest me greatly :) I haven't played very many games but I enjoy them a lot. Due to my condition I cannot paint and model for very long.

Fantasy, 40k, War of the Ring and Hordes. Primarily Fantasy - I only have one 40k army and have yet to assemble a proper army for War of the Ring - Hordes I have stuff for but find it tricky to get into.

Making Mr Fuzzbutt, the Cygor for new Beastmen, he's going in a shop window :)

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, is the one reason I am considering Warriors of Chaos. I have very little painted and don't believe I am very skilled. I like how my Zoanthropes look though.

Casual all the way ;)

Best have been playing with friends, worst have been playing with previous partners, lol!

I only visit LO

I'm a crazy cripple who collects dice - I treat all my dice and models with a respect and get rather possessive if another player tries to pick them up or take them to use without asking. I hate it when people do that!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Tyler Stone. Harrisburg area, PA, US

Saw an ad in Boyslife featuring a Black Templar Landspeeder. Got online to look at the site, and was going to play 40k. Then I was at my best friend's house and saw the old Lizardmen/Brettonia WHFB starter. We got the models out and played some games, and I was hooked. It took a long time though before I could really play a game, as I was only 9 and working with limited funds.

Both. Sometimes I get on a kick and start painting everything I can get my hands on. Other times I convert. When I have time, I eat up the opportunity for a game.

WHFB, WH40K, BFG, Inquisitor. Primary game is certainly WHFB.

My tournament wins, but also all the times that I've been complimented on a conversion or paint job.

Currently my favorite would have to be my Dragon Ogre Shaggoth. They just look awesome. My best painted model (after Shaggy) is my Dragon Mage, and my best conversion is my mobile-shrine Dreadnaught

My group of friends all play against eachother as practice for tournaments, I'm a very competitive player.

Best: megabattles. I love the unity within the teams and the sheer epic scale of it all
Worst: every time I've played a standard 40k mission, unfortunately.

LO is really the only one I've stuck with.

I consider myself a bit of a veteran, depsite my age, and I love to help people to improve in whatever aspect of the hobby they enjoy. If you play against me, I will be trying to table you, but I'm not a WAAC player- I want to make friends and keep people in the game. I take a laid back approach to my gaming, and while it's a big part of my life, it's certainly not the center of it.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
This seems somewhat interesting... I like everyone else's' responses thus far!

Brett (aka Deadstar_MRC). I say I'm in Adelaide in South Australia even though I live about 40kms from there.

I believe we borrowed some White Dwarf magazines from a friend, back around the time when the Tau were first being released. And something about the Tau must have resonated with me, even though I also liked the look of the Chaos Marines (It may have helped that one of the first battle reports I read involved the Night Lords...)

Definitely more of a painter and modeller. Something about me demands that I only play with a fully painted army, and as I haven't really ever finished painting an army... I don't manage a lot of games! A lack of opponents doesn't help all that much.

I have started to look in to Warmachine, which may become my gaming stable because I know some people who play it. Though again, I don't really have an army for it yet.

When the first Secret Santa was run here on LO, I was really quite happy with the model I painted (A Bretonnian Damsel on foot). I would be quite proud of my Black Coach if I hadn't taken ridiculously long to finish it... (I'm hoping to have it done in the next few days)

6. What is your favourite model? What's your best painted or converted model?
I have a Lahmian Vampire I was quite happy with when I finished it that also featured a small conversion. And there's a Techmarine I have lying around somewhere painted in the Sons of LO colour scheme that I also like.

I'm not sure I could handle a tournament.

My lack of gaming means I can't really answer this.

I don't think I really go to any other sites aside from LO. Occasionally I'll swing by the Privateer Press forums, or the GW site - mainly to look at pictures or artwork, or read some fan-written stories.

I think it's the background and the stories that draw me to wargaming rather than the game itself. I prefer writing, painting and modelling over everything else, and kind of see the gaming as just something to do with the models you've collected! (Probably a rather odd view but everyone's different...)

·
The Future
4,848 Posts

Simon, aka RealityCheque, from Bedford in the UK

I can't remember which happened first, AT introducing me to 40k or my physics teacher selling a mate Blood Bowl. Either way, I was hooked.

I'm a gamer, I only paint so I have nice models to play with. I'm not very good at it, but I do like putting together an interesting model. Mostly I'm better at planning a conversion than the execution though ;-)

40k first and foremost, but I also play Blood Bowl and Necromunda. Technically I play WFB too, but not for ages as none of our regular crew have armies.

We've 10 people in our gaming group, organising that lot is an achievement and a half ;-)

My favourite model is my Stormlord - it took me ages to paint, but still has a bit of work to do like adding Assault Cannons to the pintle mounts :D I'm looking forward to painting my biker captain though, it'll be my first proper conversion project.

Casual tournaments really - we take it in turns between a few of us to run a themed series of games, but it's usually in a tournament structure.

Best: Taking out a genestealer with a laspistol equipped juve and giving it an old battle wound :D
Worst: Losing a half-squad of Vanguard to 8 IG troopers. My luck was absolutely appalling (every dice coming up a 1 or 2!), but I figure it's punishment for me going into the battle overconfident.

Edit: Oh I suppose I should add to the 'best' bit that I met my missus in GW... lol.

Just LO.

I play to win, because I think anything less is doing my opponent a disservice.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
I treat all my dice and models with a respect and get rather possessive if another player tries to pick them up or take them to use without asking. I hate it when people do that!
Damn right, people should leave my bloody dice alone - they might make the luck fall off :(

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hello there! I'm Petite Francois, but you can call me Frankie. I live in Kaneohe, Hawaii, not far from the Marine Base (Bless them!)

Ha ha, I'm old:) I first saw Rankin Bass' "The Hobbit" cartoon on television. I was so enamoured with Tolkien's fantasy I day dreamed about it all the time. Well, a friend of mine showed me 'Dungeons and Dragons', and I got hooked on Role Playing! I have to say, I've never really been a miniature gamer. Though I only play 40K now, it's for the fun of telling stories with my models, to see who lives and who dies, which of my friend's enemy armies are becoming the ascendant power in our area of space... The fluff is everything, ha ha!

I'm really a day dreamer, and a wannabe fanfiction writer (only I'm too lazy). But I like painting Sisters of Battle, because they are brave and faithful and beautiful! I enjoy gaming 'cause it's a good way to socialize with friends! Most of all I like to open new boxes of models!

I've played a lot of games, RPGs and Miniatures. But right now I only play 40K.

Hmm...I ran a couple of RPGs a long time ago. I was happiest when I saw excitement in my players' faces and they praised my GMing. That was a long time ago, and I've told all the stories I know... I don't RPG now. In terms of Warhammer 40K, my happiest moment was giving up Slaanesh to do Sisters of Battle again!

My favorite model is the Seraphim Sister Superior with the power sword held high, and a plasma pistol in the other hand. I don't paint well at all, just "3 colors and a base"/Sloppy Mop style, but I love that model anyway:)

Very casual. I have gamed with friends for many years. We are comfortable enough around each other that we can try new things. Once a friend rewrote the old Slann (not Lizardmen) army for the edition that left them out. It was great fun! With a steady group of friends, you get to game so much you're not afraid to experiment too:)

My worst experiances have been when I feel depressed about losing and I know it's making my friends feel bad. I can't help it sometimes it just happens. My happiest moments are when my friends win huge victories, either against me or each other. I used to immerse in the game too much and felt grief when I lost all my 'troops'. Now I know it's a game, and that the role playing is a hobby, not another 'reality', ha ha:)

I like Librarium Online of course! Classy, fun filled, with vast wisdom in articles and from the members!
My fave site is Hawaii Gamers HawaiiGamers.Net - Powered by vBulletin
Warseer is great, but a little less intimate feeling 'cause there's so many members I can't keep track. Good site though.
Bell of Lost Souls is a nice site, I'm learning about the staff from listening to 40K radio, which makes it even more interesting.
Dakka Dakka is nice, my only problem is trying to keep track of what I've replied in already, ha ha:) But I'm kind of clueless so it's just me...

10. What should we know about you as a wargamer? Uhm...I like to roleplay:) I am a terrible painter and a worse general. No, really, guys feel so bad for me they apologize for tabling me sometimes. That's not fun. If they enjoy a great victory against me, it's cool because my friends had fun. If I make them feel bad 'cause I am a terrible player, then, well, I guess I have to try harder?

Thank you for a very fun question and to all of you who shared your answers!
Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

·
Registered
447 Posts
Al from Newcastle, UK

A friend took me into a GW store during my middle school years. I bought that Dark Angels Captain with the feathered helmet. This was a matter of months after 40k 2nd ed was released.

I like converting and painting. I enjoy gaming but rarely get the chance - I know few people into the hobby and the stores tend to be full of people I try to avoid.

40k and Fantasy. Blood Bowl's my favourite ever game followed swiftly by Necromunda. I like Epic. Non-GW Twilight is great too.

4000pts of Wood Elves (the first Army Book).

My favourite ever model is the Dwarf Blood Bowl Referee. Best painted: probably the Ork Warlord from the Warhammer Quest upgrade pack. I converted a Space Marine Captain I'm quite pleased of. And a Chaos Blood Bowl team.

Rarely in either.

All good.

This and The Forum Of Doom.

I generally prefer whisky to wargaming.

·
3,395 Posts
Andrew (A.T.), UK

Originally dabbling with Adeptus Titanicus and epic. Corax, Boreus, and Validus - my old warlord battlegroup.
At my middle school the headmaster set a room aside each monday afternoon for chess and wargaming - initially just myself and a friend playing Space Hulk until a number of other players including Realitycheque joined in playing 2nd ed 40k and a number of pen and paper games.

Gamer, because I fail at painting and always seem to stall half way through modelling projects.
I've been trying to get my models in order though, no more mass proxying.

40k (inquisition) and numerous pen and paper stuff including Dark Heresy lately.
Necromunda (but not recently, I ran the last extended tourney), Bloodbowl (lizardmen).
Spacehulk and Epic space marines from way back.

A doomed patrol of guardsmen, about to get wiped off the board by an ork flame trike. The sarge stepped up, blew the front wheel off with his bolt pistol, and sent the vehicle flying clear across the table to land on (and kill) the well hidden warboss, winning the game. Much fun to be had.

Not a great or proud moment, but satisfying to squash our recent tournament winner and his evil anti-luck field.

Grey Knight terminators - the reason I picked inquisition when we picked up 40k again for 5th ed (after a long hiatus from 2nd ed).
My sisters win 'best painted' be default, because my old 2nd ed stuff is crap. Just need to get the white right.
I am quite fond of the huge imperial eagle wings effect on my night-camo Valkyrie though.

Casual.
I play to win games but i'm not particularly motivated to win beyond a general desire not to lose.

Best:
Skipping the entire second half of a blood bowl game due to double pitch invasions against the slowest player in the universe. This guy won a tourney game because his opponent walked out in disgust part way through.

I also enjoyed playing a recent demonstration/exhibition match for a friend - they rolled and picked targets while I placed models and ran commentary on target selection and strategy. More laid back type of game.

Worst:
Bruised ribs against a realm of battle board (stupid wooden floors). Ouch.

Most recently "you and your bloody flamers". Moving three vehicles in from the board edge and killing three infantry models generating more frustration in an opponent than it really should - my WH have built up enough of a reputation that the sun shines out of their backsides no matter how badly they actually do in a game, to the point that it's skewing other player's perceptions and enjoyment of the game.

Generally just LO unless i'm fishing for rumors, I spend too much time browsing already.

I play in an aggressive but generally lazy manner - I get annoyed with myself when sloppy placement or lack of foresight costs me but my default response is to push though as if nothing had happened, a general 'pressure' game to make my position appear stronger and make an opponent feel that their own position is weaker than it really is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dan Robinson, Fairborn Ohio USA.

I started playing RPGs in high school, and became the main miniature collector for our RPG group. Eventually, I started collecting Citadel miniatures to complement our games. The local store stocking miniatures happened to carry White Dwarf magazine, and after I picked up a few issues, I was hooked on Games Workshop's games and miniatures. It took a few years to move from RPG's to wargaming, primarily due to the miniature collecting differences between RPGs and wargames. Going from collecting 2-4 miniatures to represent an adventuring party to collecting and painting 50-100 to play a single game is a big leap.

I'm definitely more into painting and modelling. As a result, I have many small collections, but only one fully completed "full-size" army: Black Templars.

I play WHFB, WH40K, and Warmachine. I'd have to say WH40K is my primary game, as I have more gaming experience with it.
My WH40K armies in progress include: Black Templars, Tau, IG, Orcs, Eldar.
My WHFB armies in progress include: Empire, Orcs&Goblins, Dwarves, and Bretonnians.

My proudest achievement is twofold. The first tournament I attended was a local WH40k Combat Patrol tournament, and I took my first fully painted 40K force to reach 400 points, which was Tau. I managed to win 3 games and draw a fourth, and I met some great guys associated with the hobby. I had such a great time, that I decided to run my own CP tournament to meet more players, and I found that I enjoyed the social aspect of tournaments as much as the pure gaming aspect.

My favorite model will always be the general/unit champion of whatever army/unit I'm working on currently. Right now, that would be the Gallant for a unit of Bretonnian KotR from Quenelles. My best painted model definitely has to be my WHFB giant, which I modelled and painted as a dogs of war addition to my Empire force. I completed it one month before the latest Empire army book removed the option of including dogs of war elements in Empire armies. :(

I generally play a hybrid: I play with a casual level of skill and army composition, but I only manage to play at local game store tournaments, because I find that they are the best way I arrange games due to a very hectic family schedule.

The best experience I've had gaming is with one of the local tournament champions, whom I've played to a draw on a single occasion. He is a great sportsman and makes any game enjoyable, whether you're playing or watching. The worst experience I've had gaming was attending a local doubles tournament without arranging a teammate beforehand. I managed to team up with someone I had never met, but we never managed to coordinate or even get comfortable working together. Add to that the fact that the last game was against a repulsively obnoxious powergamer who had to explain why every move we made was wrong and how our army choices were doomed due to his unstoppable new VC force. We performed so poorly as a team that our opponents actually left during one of our turns to get something to eat. Not a proud moment, and one that effectively spelled the end of my WHFB enjoyment for a couple of years.

Librarium Online is my go-to site for all things related to Games Workshop. Way of Saim-Hann was a handy site for learning more about Eldar when I was collecting them. The Round Table of Bretonnia is turning out to be a good place to research Bretonnians as I'm currently working on them.

I'm always ready to play a small game of WH40K or WHFB if someone's willing to schedule a couple of hours on a weekend.

·
Aspiring Champion
695 Posts
Memnoch-Cork.

Exast same story as Omegoku funnily enough, I picked up a pamphlet in some random hobby shop one day and was hooked by it, Omegoku and his brother were getting in to the hobby so I picked up the starter paint set with Marines and then collected marines for a while before switching to Chaos.

I tend to have more time painting than gaming these days with other commitments.

40K, Mordheim was a favourite for a while and played the odd bit of Space Hulk and Inquisitor.
Played 1 or 2 games of WFB as well.

My Chaos Space Marine army. 4000/5000+ of Black Legion.
Getting my girlfriend to watch a full game of 40k and not have her think Im a weirdo. :)

Ive a few favourite models, the new Commisar Lord is the current favourite.
My favourite painted model is either a standard Black Legionnaire or an Ork Warboss.

Casual, only for fun.

Best- Making group trips to Dublin to GW store when we were young lads. Winning hard fought battles.
The laugh you have playing with the same group of players. Funny stories involving people swallowed by deck chairs/smashed Lictors
Worst-Bad mannered opponents, rubbish games etc. the same occasion Omegoku had sun-stroke I got badly sun-burned making my first Chaos army and lost interest halfway through, it took a while to get around to finishing it.

Lib Online, Bolter and Chainsword (though I never post) battlewagon bitz and GWs site can be useful on occasion.

I love 40k Chaos.......,I started collecting CSMs in 3rd edition but the intial collection was awful. When the 3.5 codex came out I got back in to collecting Chaos instead of Ultramarines and never looked back. Plans include expanding to have a Daemon army as well.

·
The Future
4,848 Posts
Best:
Skipping the entire second half of a blood bowl game due to double pitch invasions against the slowest player in the universe. This guy won a tourney game because his opponent walked out in disgust part way through.
I was the opponent, and I just couldn't stand looking at his stupid face as it contemplated for half an hour how to move a single man any more - my poor elves were dying of boredom :(

Most recently "you and your bloody flamers". Moving three vehicles in from the board edge and killing three infantry models generating more frustration in an opponent than it really should - my WH have built up enough of a reputation that the sun shines out of their backsides no matter how badly they actually do in a game, to the point that it's skewing other player's perceptions and enjoyment of the game.
You wiped out his entire army bar 4 models in one turn with only half of yours - I'd be a bit miffed too :p He just wrongly put the blame on your flamers when it should have been the Exorcist and the teleport assault he was bitching about ;)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Heh. Great thread. I'll bite:

Canew, USA. Grew up in N.H., live in Maine, work in Mass. Don't ask.

I'd had an itch for some time to build something as a hobby, but I didn't wanna be one of those guys with a few hundred model ships, starships, P-51 Mustangs and the like crowding for space on the shelves collecting dust. My brother's childhood friend's father used to paint historical miniatures that fascinated me. A few years ago, someone told me about Warhammer fantasy. When I learned there was a sci-fi version, I was hooked. It made so much sense to build something, then actually DO something with it besides put it under glass and hope people liked looking at it.

I strive to do both. I got into it for modeling, but I pride myself on being a proper general, too. I like to bring painted stuff to the table, and most of the stuff I game with IS painted.

Right now it's just 40k. I'm close to finishing a small "battlebox" sized battlegroup for Warmachine (Cygnar, in case you are wondering). Currently, I have nearly 1,850 points worth of Necrons built and painted. I have a marines army of equal size that I seem to be perpetually working on, currently not playable.

Finishing a Necron battleforce was a huge moment for me. For the first time, despite still not having a FULL army painted, I felt like I'd crossed the hump. Always better to have more stuff in your army done than undone. That's a good feeling.

Gamewise, I played against a veteran player at the local store, a guy who was a veteran Necrons player. I went up against his Dark Angels (this was not long after the codex came out, and everybody thought they were unstoppable). I won, largely because I paid more attention to the objectives than he did. He doesn't make mistakes often, and he's beaten me more than once since, but after that win I finally felt like I was getting better as a player.

My Necron lord was a labor of love. It involved one magnetized arm, one arm that I cut, drilled and ground away (man, that was tough!) and replaced, and a cork base painted like rock. I don't think it'll ever look perfect, but I like it. Truthfully, though, I think my "best" model isn't done yet.

I'm not opposed to tournaments, and won't shy away from them, but mostly I'm a casual player. My ultimate goal is to develop a playstyle/list that is fun and friendly, but will still be competitive. I'm selfish. I want to win friends AND games!

Well, as I said, the best game was against the Dark Angels player. It wasn't a turn 2 blowout. It was pretty much anybody's game right up to the end. I like games like that. MUCH more fun!

Worst experience was probably my first 5th edition game. Again, a Dark Angels player (but not the same guy). He played very, very well, but my lack of understanding of the Dawn of War deployment led me to think I HAD to leave most everything in reserves until I rolled to bring them in later on. Of course, that's wrong, and I was corrected right away, but that just set the tone for me. I don't get to play often, and I like to make the most of the experience, so when I felt derailed at the start, I got irritated, and it quickly (unusual for me) led to me getting frustrated. I wound up making some really boneheaded mistakes (allowing his land raider full of uber-command squad to roll right up to my destroyers, and didn't move. Dumb!) that I wouldn't have made had I been thinking more clearly. The game was pretty much over by the end of turn 2, but because I'm stubborn the game dragged on and on... and on. I finally lost by phase-out in turn 5. The other player practically apologized for beating me, and he shouldn't have. He beat me fair and square. He outplayed me, and on top of that I just was NOT on my game. I probably behaved a little crankily (is that a word?) too, and while no one said anything, he probably noticed. I haven't played him since, but I'd like to, just to show him I'm better than that. Not my finest hour.

Well,

<mod mode>

Librarium Online is the Internet's finest source for all tabletop gaming-related needs. Everything you need from painting and modeling advice to in-depth discussions and army list reviews for the most popular gaming systems out there!

</mod mode>

Seriously, I wouldn't have become a mod if I didn't believe in this place. It's a good, supportive community. That said, I don't think I'm betraying my fellow LOers by saying I do frequent other sites such as Warseer, and while some (myself included) disagree with his attitude, Stelek's advice on Yes the Truth Hurts is top-notch.

I like to think I'm a fair guy, and I try to be a gentleman and good sport, no matter what. I'll always shake your hand before deployment and introduce myself, and shake your hand after the game's over and say, "good game," whether you win or not. I don't believe in the artificial distinction between "hobbyist" and "gamer." This is a GAME, and meant to be played, so if all I did were make models, I'd be missing the point. Ditto if none of my models were painted or in progress whenever I played with anybody.

I also don't believe in the artificial distinction between "friendly" and "competitive" games. It's possible to win tournaments without playing like a rules-lawyering jerk, and I also believe if you're not having fun (in a competitive environment or otherwise), you're missing the biggest point of the game of all.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Intrepid, Monterey Peninsula, California

I needed a social hobby, tried out a GW store and enjoyed wargaming. They eventually kicked me out for not basing my models well enough (said models being otherwise well-painted) but I kept gaming at independent stores and branched out into roleplaying.

I used to be heavily into conversions but my focus is now on gaming exclusively.

40k, WHFB and Warmachine. Also Dark Heresy and Pathfinder RPGs. 40k is the most popular at my store but I'm coming to appreciate WHFB more. I want to like Warmachine but the major players at my store are far too competitive for my taste; I keep a small army that gets played occasionally.

I have a dragon-themed Night Lord army, ranging from mutated Raptors (made with Lizardman bits) to inhuman Possessed (based on Reptus models from Reaper miniatures) right on up to full-size, draconic Daemon Princes. An absolutely cool army to see on the tabletop.

Best painted would be a squad of six Chaos Terminators. I put so much effort into them that I had to take a month off painting when I finished. My Dark Elf Manticore is a centerpiece, too, or it would be if I could get the model to actually perform in a game. This year I'm trying to make a Warmachine diorama--the painting competitions in No Quarter have me fired up despite my inadequate painting skills.

Casual, with local tournaments. My focus is on socializing, not competing, although I do well enough.

I lucked out in my choice of Dark Elves for WHFB; they're a perfect fit for my playstyle. Conversely, I've had some nasty experiences with powergaming. The now-obsolete Eldar Craftworld Codex, in particular, still haunts my memory. Sportsmanship is a very high priority of mine.

Druchii.net is the only one I visit with any regularity. God knows I waste enough time on LO.

I'm an odd-duck player. Units that are useless to everybody else work for me, for example Dark Elf handbow Corsairs and Possessed Chaos Marines. Tactics, too; I panic the regulars at my store every time I do something that doesn't make sense, like putting Druchii Shades in the middle of nowhere or having my Land Raider retreat from battle.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts

Adam/Kuffy(eh) I am currently in Sheffield England.

I am still slightly hazy on this myself, but I know it involved Heroquest. My dad then told me some guy he works with does "something like that", so we went to see him. I witnessed a 3rd ed Fantasy game of Undead (back when they were undead) vs Orcs and Goblins. That Christmas I got a painted dwarf army and some old WD issues my dad brought off the greenskin player. I have been in the hobby since, that was back in.. um... 1997 ish.

A painter. Mainly because I don't go to game. I'd like too, but I just don't. Will try to fit it in more.

Fantasy and 40k. I have dwarfs and Orks respectively. I plan to expand into owning an Orc and Goblin army and Space Wolves. I have considered Warmachine/Hordes, but I need to witness a game properly to understand it and all.

Hm. I am not sure I have one as such. I like getting nice comments about my minis. That's something, right? :p

Oh gods... where to begin! I think conversion wise, it would have to be my Black Templar. Painting, maybe something dwarfish. I have a love for the dwarf lords/thane models GW do. They have so much character.

Play? What's that? :p It would have to be casual, if at all.

Loosing a game to Dan Jones. That is like bottom of the bottle, right there. :p ;)

I of course use LO, and have done for a very long time. I also frequent, randomly, various forums - warseer etc. I also use blogspot.com a lot. I have two blogs on there and there are some amazing blogs out there, something I would recommend painters do, is get a blog.

The Trading Post

The Grumpy Stunty

Kuffy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts