Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The title says it all. I figured since I have a camera now I may as well put it to good use and take some shots of the things I've recently been working on. First of, the lion chariot. I finished this a couple of months ago, and while it's not a perfect display of painting like some members here I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

And now, also I think much more impressive, my dragon. It took a while, and I only recently touched up a few highlights which I thought were a bit underwhelming, but other than that it's been done for over a month.

I have to say the pictures turned out better than I expected, but they still look better 'in the flesh'. I'm mostly done on my Phoenix Guard too, but I'll wait until they're finished before I post them.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I really like the way you have painted them... and especially the freehand details (since I suck to them it is nice to see people making nice freehands!)

The color scheme is something I haven't seen to High Elves... very nicely done and expecting more...

+rep ;Y

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Two things I would like to point out:
1) On your freehand the paint looks to be too thick, it stops you from getting smooth elfy shapes and gives you streaky coverage.
2) You should shade the area where the helmet meets the face, as it is a small area you really don't want the surfaces blending togeather. A small amount of brown, black and or green ink would really seperate the face from the helmet.
Other than that you look to have a strong cohesive scheme, that suits the pieces very well.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
very nicely done. The Lion chariot is great and the dragon rider is pretty nifty.
The only thing I can suggest - if I may be so bold (not having posted any of my models) - is maybe a little more variation in shading or highlighting with the lions - they seem a little flat. A bit more highlighting, especially around the haunches, would really finish the model off.
Great work nevertheless.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good points everyone. I've still got a few things I might try to improve on these, but I probably won't do it straight away as I'm getting close to finishing my Phoenix Guard. They just need the finishing details and the bases doing at the moment.

Walex said:
1) On your freehand the paint looks to be too thick, it stops you from getting smooth elfy shapes and gives you streaky coverage.
Actually I've noticed it in a few few more areas than just the freehand recently, but I don't think the other places are too obvious. I can live with them anyway, but I might have another go at improving the freehand bits.

Walex said:
2) You should shade the area where the helmet meets the face, as it is a small area you really don't want the surfaces blending togeather. A small amount of brown, black and or green ink would really seperate the face from the helmet.
I've known for a while that my helmet/face boundaries aren't as contrasting as they could be and I have been working on it. I think I'm improving there, but again it's something I'll look at. I think this is one of the bits that does look a lot better in real life than in the photos.

Exarch Thormo said:
The only thing I can suggest - if I may be so bold (not having posted any of my models) - is maybe a little more variation in shading or highlighting with the lions - they seem a little flat. A bit more highlighting, especially around the haunches, would really finish the model off.
Good point. I had quite a lot more shading on them, but I thught it was too bold, so I tried to tone it down. It seems I did a bit too much!

I might look at improving a few of these things later. Thanks everyone. :)

·
2,244 Posts
The metalics look great on both the models. There are ares that can be improved but you seem to be aware of them.

I can't wait to see the Phoenix Gaurd I know that you really like the miniatures, so I am sure that you wil do a great job on them.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't wait to see the Phoenix Gaurd I know that you really like the miniatures, so I am sure that you wil do a great job on them.
Thanks for the rep. I'll try and get working on them again soon. It shouldn't take very long to finish them, but I haven't picked up a paintbrush in about a week. I've had a lot of Uni work to do, and I seem to have spent most of my free time recently playing guitar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.