Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question about scoring in the Annihilation mission:

Is every independent unit worth 1 victory point, without distinction?
It appears this is fairly clear in the rules for the mission.

What about units which are "bought" together as one choice?
e.g. 3 Necron Tomb Spyders are bought as one org chart choice, but are deployed and act as 3 separate units in the game. I would assume these are worth 3 points each.

What about transport units bought as an upgrade to a unit?
i.e. are Troops and their transports worth 1 point each?

If this is the case, then it would make transports a liability in 1/3 of all games, due to being an "easy" point.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Every independent unit is worth 1KP.
Regarding the three Tomb Spyders: they are bought as a unit, but the Codex states that they operate as independent units throughout the game, so yep: looks like 1KP per Spyder.
Troops and Transports are treated as separate units (P.92 BRB under 'Multiple Unit Choices'). This does indeed make them a bit of a liability. The Tau Devilfish with Gun Drones and a unit of Fire Warriors can be particularly 'costly' re KPs. If the Drones disembark, either by being forced to do so after the DF is destroyed, or else of their own volition, they become a 2-man unit which gives away a KP when it is destroyed. The DF is another KP, and the Fire Warrior unit will be a third if it is destroyed.

E.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
See, the problem with KP's is the rulebook is terribly quiet on any sort of specifications regarding them. It literally only talks about them for 2 sentences in the tiny little "Annihilation" mission box. Specifically, it says that you get 1 KP for each unit destroyed by game end. Thats it. There is the noted exception of how an IC with a dedicated retinue is 1 kp for the whole group, but outside that there isn't any more clarification. Worse still, the last few codecies have introduced a variety of units which operate a little differently than the standard units found in most books.

Overall, its something you will have to talk with your gaming buddies about, as the exact definition of "Unit" can be considered differently by some people. By RAW, a squad and its transport are different units, and hence different KP's. This seems reasonable enough. By RAW, 3 Tomb Spyders are said to be "independent units" by the Necron Codex and hence are 1 KP each. This also seems reasonable to me but some may dislike it. By RAW a unit of Wolf guard can be a tricky situation. Most people would say that as the wolf guard are split up before the battle any split off wolf guard just count as a part of the unit they are attached to, and are for all intents and purposes part of that unit for the whole battle. But I have seen some claim that they still count as part of the original wolf guard unit as well and hence make that particular Wolf Guard unit very hard to score a KP for, and RAW wise their is an argument as the Pack leaders rule doesn't specify that they cease counting towards their original "unit". And what about Sanguinary Priests? They are bought together and do have the option of staying together but as IC's they technically can move about independently and are targettable in CC, hence RAW wise they are each their own unit and hence KP, though to some this seems a little harsh considering the low survivability of a Priest.

Like I said, at times the whole KP issue can get cloudy as the only thing the book gives us to go on is that each "Unit" is its own KP. Unfortunately any further clarification is unlikely to be forthcoming and the fact that some persons have a different view of what a "Unit" entails means this type of debate can keep popping up.

·
Registered
579 Posts
There is the noted exception of how an IC with a dedicated retinue is 1 kp for the whole group
You've got that backwards actually, the retinue and the IC are one KP each.

By RAW a unit of Wolf guard can be a tricky situation. Most people would say that as the wolf guard are split up before the battle any split off wolf guard just count as a part of the unit they are attached to, and are for all intents and purposes part of that unit for the whole battle. But I have seen some claim that they still count as part of the original wolf guard unit as well and hence make that particular Wolf Guard unit very hard to score a KP for, and RAW wise their is an argument as the Pack leaders rule doesn't specify that they cease counting towards their original "unit".
This is covered in the SW FAQ; after deployment Wolf Guard are considered for all intents and purposes to be part of the unit they were joined to.

And what about Sanguinary Priests? They are bought together and do have the option of staying together but as IC's they technically can move about independently and are targettable in CC, hence RAW wise they are each their own unit and hence KP, though to some this seems a little harsh considering the low survivability of a Priest.
Considering their particularly low points cost in relation to their hefty abilities, being worth an extra killpoint is almost certainly a balancing measure to counteract their insane abilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts