Librarium Online Forums banner

Which common newbie mistakes really annoy you?

• Referring to Eldar (Dark/ Craftworld) as Eldars.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reffering to the Space Wolves as Space Wolfs?

• Calling the founding Legions founding Chapters?

• Having knowledge of only the chapter detailed in WD?

• Coming up with the ultimate Cheese chapter?

• Other? Detail below.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your major annoyances/ mistakes that N/b's make when either first entering the hobby, or desperately trying (and failing) to show some in depth knowledge of the hobby/ fluff.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i really hate the people who get into the game, spend their money and then give up on it... just a waste of minis...
i also despise really badly painted expensive minis, last time at the GW shop i saw this guy with a whole squad of expensive metal choas marines painted like a 2 year old would... <_<

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well i have two...

Uber cheese space Marine Chapters: the worse i encountered recently was a hybrid between blood angels and black templars, this was one of my first games with an actual army (i had done squad level engagements before this so i knew how my army worked)

The GW Staff were allowing a fellow newbie to try his own Space Marine Chapter.

here is the story:

squad fails its black rage moving D6 forwards (rolls a 6 because the the player drops the dice)

Now i shoot at the squad and cause it to Flee now due ot the Templar rules.. you guessed it... they run towards me.

Once again he drops the dice resultig in 2 6s moving the squad ANOTHER 12"

now you would think that was the worst of it, you would be mistaken...

My Guardians with the Star cannon were charged by these marines who due to the rule combination hit on 3+ had initiative 5 and strength 5!

So being as i was using an Ulthwe army i made a rapid counter charge with my Seer Council only to find that he had Death Company in this army too!

The Dice droping continued in combat leaving me with some Howling Banshees, 3 Vyper Jetbikes, 5 Guardian Jetbikes the tattered remains of my Seer council (1 Farseer and 2 Warlocks out of an original 3 Farseers and 7 Warlocks) and one tired, angry (but apparently invincible) Shining Spear Exarch.

However i won the game in the end for a great reason... it was a Clense mission and the bafoon had forgoten this leaving me with 3 quarters and him with 1.

so thats my two annoyances in one story,

chessy marine chapters and cheating players who drop the dice so they get 6s

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey! Cheese kicks ass! Well at least the food does.
What really annoys me is the bragging and the bragging. I don't even want to talk about it!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wow, when you said the Uber Cheese SM army, I was ready to be offended. I'm a huge fan of termies and like to field as many of them as possible...just like the fluff and look, and it actually makes things harder. But that guy was beyond cheesey, that's just overt cheating. His own chapter...ever heard of balance? Sigh...

I voted other, mainly because most newbie mistakes I just don't mind. I like seeing new people getting into the game and if they like it that's great and I want to do anything I can to encourage them. I'm sorry, but I've been a hard core computer geek for years and seen newbies treated pretty harshly sometimes...doesn't really happen in 40k, but I still don't like it.

That said, I don't like people who are whiney or who don't want to listen or want to learn. I am perfectly fine with playing a game against a noob in which I spend 45 min. explaining rules and so forth for every 5 I spend playing, even if I was expecting to play someone more expereinced (say, if I actually found time to go to the Battle Bunker or something), as long as they want to learn. I'm the same way with computers. I don't mind having to repeat myself 40 times, as long as it isn't because the other person doesn't care enough to listen. That bugs me. I actually get satisfaction out of knowing that I helped introduce someone to this huge scam and money-trap...I mean hobby...and hopefully given them a good game too. I just don't want them to be a jerk.

Sorry, but people who are rough on noobs is just kind of a pet peeve for me from my experiences in the computer hardware community.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thats true LT, newbies are sometimes anoying but everyone has to remember that they were once newbies. All newbies will learn the rules and tactics from experience.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
IMO there's no such thing as a 'cheesy' army. If the army's legal then it's fine with me! No army is unbeatable as long as it goes by the rules of the game.

As for what really annoys me, I'd have to say that I hate it when someone shows up with a badly painted army. I'm not talking about people who aren't very good at painting. I'm talking about the ones who can't be bothered to make an effort. It's easy to tell the difference.

Another thing that annoys me is people who can't have a good time if they aren't winning hands down. I played this guy once who walked out and slammed the door when I killed his Dreadnought!

By the way, I've got to agree with Suns that cheese is a good thing. It's a shame that it's become a negative word in 40K.. Maybe we should call it 'Marmite' or something.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well i can understand mistakes especialy with pronounciation i can live with that (ok if its a string of really dumb mistakes i may get a little snappy).

My oppinion on cheese is that its part of a balanced diet,

i have found the ideal army consists of

strength or power playing- This is picking stronger units because you know they are good (i.e. 10 Howling Banshees in a Wave Serpent to fight Space Marines because they are 16pts and have power weapons), after a point it becomes cheese (3 squads of Banshees) however the line between Strength and cheese is not well established.

Background or Theme- if you can think of a believable story why the units (especialy allies) in your army are there then that really enhances the game, allows the players to make their own scenarios and in my experience makes an interesting game.

Moderation- this is knowing how good your opponent is i.e. your not going to unleash your most powerful character on a newbie however if this is your friend and you both take defeat well and it won't affect your friendship then go for it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Originally posted by BobaHat@May 14 2003, 05:22
IMO there's no such thing as a 'cheesy' army. If the army's legal then it's fine with me! No army is unbeatable as long as it goes by the rules of the game.
If it's legal and so forth I don't think it's cheesey at all. But what shadowcat was talking about wasn't even legal. That's just down right bad (whether you want to call it cheese or uber-cheese or whatever).

·
1,019 Posts
Its mostly badly painted models, it stings me behind the eyes to see those noble minis desecrated in such a way.
Or to see some newbie who thinks this is all really silly and comments on your dedication to the game...Just let me at him i'll ********* and ****** with a fish!!

·
Registered
959 Posts
alot of things annoy me.
-no effort put into painting models, especially expensive ones.
-being a show off and trying to act superior.
-powergaming, cause they always get thrashed real easy.
-just being a general asshole.
-plus many others that i cant be bothered remembering.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My dad calls my warhammer pieces as warhammers (ie. "These warhammers are painted nicely.") He doesn't play or anything, so he isnt a newbie but its still annoying.

·
Registered
454 Posts
You fortgot thinkin they know everythin and then pissin u off!

·
1,019 Posts
*sigh*

For me it's badly painted armies and lousy fluff.

Don't get me wrong. A painter that is just starting out and has atleast "tried" to make his Ultramarines look alright (ultramarines...allow me to use LOL in this case. Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with Ultramarines...just that all the new people here seem to have them.)
A model that has been painted randomly green, purple and blue (indeed those are three colors and thus is tourney proof...but...) is NOT painting your model.

And then the fluff that goes like this:

"And he was like the SON of Abbadon and Slaanesh who killed like ten MILLION IG's all by himself with his kick ass Demon sword and then he like took a tank and GRa#/"2#gjsgje it too pieces...And then he joined MY army cuz i kick so much ass...EVEN more than that guy...And then there was this dying master and he was all like "My Revenge...FAILED!" So i got all *****ed and woved to avenge my fallen Sensei who'd died fighting in the battle for Terra.
And was also one of the guys that kicked the Emperors corpse...BEFORE anyone else."

That just makes me want to...grrr..
Those things ***** me off...*mumble*...i'm going to go play abit of Postal now to calm me down.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Its simple, People who try and bend the rules in their favor when playing the game. Cheaters all deserve to be lit on fire and let burn to death!

thankyou

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
First and foremost: Cheaters. That drives me nuts. In fact, there are a couple of known cheaters at my store and they cheat because they really hate losing. I have a special bag of dice on me for those players. On about half of them the two's have been changed to five's with the addition of extra pips. If they wanna cheat, then I'll belly up to the cheating bar with them. It really drives them crazy to cheat a lot and still lose. ;)

Second: Not even attempting to paint decently. For noobs, this aint no big deal; I can cope with it. However, there are peeps in our store who have been playing for 5-10 years and still don't bother with a halfway decent paint job.

Third: Proxies. I spend HOURS and HOURS collecting and painting before I ever put a model on a table top and then some kid comes in with about half of his models and then a group of 20 bases and wants you to pretend that the 20 bases are his Kroot squad, or that a big hunk of plastic is his forgeworld fighter jet that he's saving up for, but doesn't have yet. Grrrr!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Unpainted armies. I understand that some people can't paint **** to save their lives, but they could at least make an effort. Plastic-and-pewter armies are just pure annoying to look at.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
i dont mind proxies at all hourglass. as long as its not 2 squads of something completely different, or i can tell the difference between the two squads then i dont mind. i understand ppl cant buy units and find they dont work in the army and cant/dont use them. it sucks. iv been there.

wat BUGS me to no end is dice "dropping" this is 2 different things, but both equally AGGRIVATING.

a. dropping the dice from 4 feet above the table and having them bounce off the table, and keep re-rolling them, or bounce and hit my models. i just wanna scream at them, especially wen they hit my models that i painted.

b. dropping like in shadowcats case. where they slide off their fingers from 4 inches away from the board and barley if at all spinning or wat not. i know there is no proper way to throw dice but wen they are just plobing them down so they get double ones for ld tests and all 6's for rending claws <_< it gets a little (to say the least) annoying.

oh and yes, and they arent eldarS!!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.