Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, the last Arena of Death met its premature end last August. It was unlucky, as the Game Master had some circumstances that prevented him from running it through, but the AoD failed not due to lack of interest. When the GM was having problems, many participants offered to fill in for him. Are they still ready? I have never participated in such a thing and I'd like to try it, if there be any possibility - I don't think frequency would be a problem. So, any of the fluff-masters and narrative-chieftains?

Miko

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I'd be willing to run a small one, 8 members tops. I can do the rolls, and the writing. The only problem that I'll have is getting the actual rules - I don't own many of the new 8th edition armybooks (Empire. That's it for 8th) so I don't have the statlines and upgrades available for each of the armies. I would need someone who would be willing to quickly verify the rules for any of the entrants that I cannot check for myself.
I ran a 32-player arena once, and I will not do that again. It took a year of solid effort to complete, stretched out to a year and a half because I ran into person issues right around the middle.
I'd like to get more interest in Arena's here on LO - clean up the section, get a league running, etc. I'll see what I can do. If someone is interested in being my "build checker" we can get this underway.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
There are times when I don't doubt my psychic abilities...
I was thinking just last week, that since I hadn't been active at LO for a couple of years, that I hadn't created an Arena contestant for a while, and so I started working on one.
You have a definite entrant here if this goes ahead.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, Capt'n, I was just thinking of you, though I dared not speak openly. I'm not sure I could check everything, I've got some books but not many, and running to and fro to a hobby store is insane. But I will certainly enter.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
More Arenas? Yes Please! :D

I'm happy to help with writing, but that's about the extent of my usefulness. I've run a small arena in the past, only eight entrants, but I had someone else checking the builds and performing all the rolling duties for me, and I believe I had a few other writers contributing.

I've had an idea for an arena sitting somewhere on the computer for a while now but not done anything about it. And it might not be the best idea to re-start the arena season with, so I might hold off on making use of it just yet. But I'd be happy to help organise/write for an arena if the interest is there!

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Good idea fellas! I had begun to contemplate setting one going once again, it has been too long since we got the community involved in stuff like this. My idea was to do a special character one, get a pick of the best and see how they fair. Maybe later. Good luck on this, and I hope you get loads of entries! I might even step forward...

Kuffy

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Well, this is great, but right now all we've got is a lot of hot air blowing around. Like I said - I'm willing to start a "standard" style arena at the drop of a hat, with 8 members. The next available size would be 16 members, and that's a LOT of people to both find interested, and to write/read for the first rounds. If I know that I can farm off a few of the first round matches, I could handle 16 players, and have the arena concluded in 4-5 weeks from the start date. 8 players is optimal, I could have it done in 3-4 weeks.

Books that I have personally:

Empire
Ogre Kingdoms
High Elves
Warriors of Chaos
Brettonians
Wood Elves
Dwarfs

I would need build checks for everything else.
The stats I would be looking for:
WS, Str, T, Ini, W, A, Ld
Base points (for the character)
Points spent on wargear
Points spent on magic items
Special rules, including rules for any magic items not found in the BRB

If I can get someone to do that with the other army books, I will put all of the builds into a thread and have people check them. The "build checker" is allowed to participate in the arena of course, but in the interest of fairness, I would rather that they not be responsible for checking their own build.

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's March now so I'm assuming this died out? Due to personal issues I've been away from teh forum for a rather extended amount of time. With that said I have the Beastmen book - which I'll be using and soon enough I'll have the new WoC book as well, though I don't currently own it.

So ... Beastmen.

If no one else has that I'll grab a WoC book soon.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has died out... sort of. The arena started a long time ago, was magnificently led by Capt'n, and then it ended a week or two ago. You can read it above, it's sticky.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ha ha ... late to the party as always. Thanks!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Blackheart, coming up in April I have plans to start another arena-inspired event. The idea will be to run an entirely site-based campaign, where players submit a regiment worth up to 500pts (can include 2 characters) and an Arena character, for a total of 750pts worth of "stuff" to duke it out with. Each week players will declare a territory to attack and one to defend, and I will pair them off, roll up the fight "arena style" and then update the post and map to show the progress of the two teams. I'm working on getting everything set up, and trying to figure out what my schedule is going to look like for the time period that I plan on running this, and then I'll let you know what's up. Sound good to you sir?

Sorry you missed the other arena though, it seems a common trend. It was sort of nice though, it meant that a lot of newer players and arena-first-timers got slots, and with the builds entered everyone seemed to have a pretty fair shot (except anyone who fought Tzerah - that guy was a beast) and a good time.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I'm working on getting everything set up, and trying to figure out what my schedule is going to look like for the time period that I plan on running this, and then I'll let you know what's up. Sound good to you sir?
Sounds great. I'll try not to mess it up lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts