Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ive been posting a lot latley, but with all the information available to me i just cant help it.

1 Quick question is he is planning on using the phalanx strategy. Which im sure you know but ill say it anyways, he plans on porting out his fist group of warriors when i charge him leaving me open to his second warriors weapons. Now since my fexs venom cannon is the only thing powerful enough to damage im just trying to think of another way around this. I know that i need zoanthropes, but i dont have the money. So with what i have is there a viable way to stop or make this not so frustrating.

Sorry for the rook questions and i know i have a lot of questions, but it bothers me when i cant answer my own questions and im afraid of getting ridiculed on here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
eh never mind, im getting a bit too competitive for just playing with friends. I should just play and have fun. I guess im just scared that a $200+ army will die way too easily. Sorry for the double post, i need to learn to settle down lol. I dont know how but if someone could delete this that would be great.

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander drizzit124

First a few comments
  1. Don't worry about posting multiple times on similar subjects. The forum is designed to have these discussions. I'm sure that even if you used the search function, you may find yourself drowning in information, none of which may apply to your personal issues. So don't worry about posting
  2. It would help us out if you either posted what units you currently have OR just point to a link that tells us your current inventory (built and unbuilt) of models. I remember the last time we spoke you were still working on your second Hive Tyrant and Carnifex, but don't know if they have been built already.
Now on to general advice...

1) Terrain will affect any advice that is given here.

When dealing with those Necrons (which I'm pretty sure you are by the context of your post), terrain can help your weaker units against that Monolith and/or volume fire. When you deploy and or move, make note of your terrain. I can't give you exact tactics, because the tactics change every time the terrain does. In general I usually make sure that there are around 4-8 pieces of terrain on the table (which usually will cover 25% of the board). The terrain will need to be a mixture of good saves (4+) and poor saves (5+/6+) and definitely offer opportunities to block line of sight (i.e. woods/hills)

If the terrain is "pre-set" before you play, take a look at the terrain and see if you can either reset the terrain OR roll for table sides. I generally look for boards that are symmetric for non-tournament games; the terrain on the board should appear the same no matter which side of the table you go on.

2) Try a weighted or refused flank deployment
In this type of deployment, you essentially put all your units on one side of the board. By doing so, your army attacks as one huge unit. So even if he's phasing through his Necron Warriors and shooting them, he has to deal with your entire army.

In this diagram, I used a shooting Carnifex, to feign deployoment on the right side of the board, then deployed my units on the left side. However, when I deploy, I usually deploy my Zoanthrope/Shooting Carnifex near the center of the table; you don't want to tell your opponent how you're deploying. You'll also notice that I used my Monstorous Creatures to block the LOS to my softer units such as my hormagaunts and genestealers. If you still have that CC Carnifex as a Heavy Support choice, you definitely want to deploy it in the center of the table and generally near the front lines. Deploying it in the center allows your slow moving unit to adjust to whatever side you plan on attacking

You may be asking, "which side do I deploy on?" And that's really going to depend on the mission, the terrain, and how your opponent deploys.

3) Deploy units behind terrain or partially in terrain
You can also deploy your units behind a piece of terrain. According to the "Area Terrain" rules, units cannot shoot through a piece of terrain. So in this diagram, the Venerable Drednaught might be able to shoot the Mixed Carnifex, but the unit cannot shoot at the Ninjafex, even if the Dreadnaught has the ranged weaponry to shoot at either unit. If you deploy correctly you can easily protect a lot of your units in the 1st or second round, simply by deploying behind terrain.

For units that you have a lot of (i.e. gaunts), you only need to deploy 50% of them to get your cover saves. So don't hesitate to put 2-3 groups in a piece of terrain to give them both better cover saves.

This information won't give you a guaranteed victory against Necrons, but some of these ideas may help you become a better player.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just know that in some forums they look down on these kinds of things.

As for my sniperfex im giving him a BS and a VC. Enhanced senses and toxin sacs(maybe)
My shootytyrant will have a BS(to help against infantry and cause of the same range as VC) and a VC. He will just have Enhanced senses. I am still deciding on if i should give him a psychic power or not.

Besides that i need to like you said just deploy smart and i never thought of putting my MC's in front of my smaller troops.

Ill be sure to keep these in mind, but for now i think ill just play and have fun and if i have and questions ill be sure to ask them. But for now i think i need to rely on my own strategies instead of taking other peoples. Thats what makes this game so great, the tactic behind it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Toxin sacs are wasted on a sniperfex mate; The VC becomes strength 10 because of the +2Str of the weapon, and the BS is max Str 8 weapon anyways, so the sacs are a complete waste of points.

The only real worthwhile psychic power for a shooty tyrant is warp field for the extra protection, but even then its a probable waste of points if your using him to hang back and shoot.

Just my minor input; I feel like a bit of a hypocrite as im only just starting 'Nids but iv had some good advice off the guys on this forum so im just passing it on!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heh i know what you mean, great advice here. And your right. they are wasted, guess its good to read before you slap something on you MC's

·
LO Zealot
1,330 Posts
I know that i need zoanthropes, but i dont have the money.
One word, proxy. It's the best way to learn whether a unit/model is worth the $ price. Zoanthropes use the terminator size base (20mm I think). I would just use one of your warriors or a blank base to represent zoanthropes for a few games. I'd say only about 5-10% (if that) of 40k players really care if your proxy for friendly games. And most non-GW tournaments don't care either (although they don't like seeing blank bases). I was at a tourney not to long ago where a guy cut out little paper wings and taped them to a unit of gaunts to represent gargoyles.

Don't let the lack of models keep you from playing the list you want to play.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Remember, he can't shoot into close combat, so if he brings out another warrior squad, well, that's fine.

The problem with Necron Warriors (among other things) is that, if they're beaten in combat and run, you can easily chase him down and completely wipe out the unit with no WBB save. Not sure how the rez orb or tomb spyders affect that, though. So if you cut down his first warrior squad with, say, genestealers, then you may be able to consolodate into his next warrior squad.

Also, remember, sniperfexes are the bane of monoliths. Just keep it shaken, stunned, and if you get lucky enough to immobolize it, charge a carnifex into it to finish it off.

Because many of our MCs can get 2+ saves, Necrons are at a severe disadvantage. It will take, on average, 36 hits (not shots) to put a wound on an EC'd monstrous creature. That's a huge advantage. The only items that you'd have to worry about would be the Necron Lord, Heavy Destroyers (which not many Necron players take), and the center hole of the Monolith's uber-cannon.

Necrons are at such a huge disadvantage against a proper list that is played well, it's not even funny. It almost makes you feel sorry for them--until they keep making their WBB rolls. Then the pity goes away. :3

·
663 Posts
yeh modeler did not have this in mind when sculpting it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.