Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something i've noticed for a while in this forum is the way that many people gravitate towards single playing strategies in this army. Deamonhunters is one of the most diverse armies i have ever had the fortune to play as. Even with this glaring diversity i find that many people gravitate towards the "Get into combat as fast as you can" lists. I personally do not think that this is the only or even the best way to play DH and would like some more stylish methods of combat that any DH players have developed over their playing histories. So let it all out people, every weird little strategy you would like to use that you have ever thought of.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I use a combination of firepower and speed for my list. 2000 & 2500 Daemonhunters with inducted IG. Basically, a small GKT HQ unit, two mechanized IST squads for armor-hunting (usually Rhinos & meltaguns, with a Sarge with TP Homer), two Armored Fists for general firepower (usually Missile Launchers or Autocannons and plasma or grenade launchers, plus Improved Comms), a unit of three Sentinels (autocannons & spotlights only, for a quick armor kill), and two full size units of FAGK. All of the GK start in reserve, so there are four transports and three sentinels on the table at deployment. I rush forward with the IST, and use the AF squads seperate from their Chimeras (so that I have more things shooting) to try and pin down the enemy. IST and incoming GK take objectives. Granted, this list *does* attempt to get the GK into the fight fast, but even without them I can lay down a lot of hurt.

·
Registered
313 Posts
One of the most diverse armies? My feelings are a complete opposite. If you want diversity look at Nids or Chaos.

As for alternate play styles, I toyed around with a nearly all deepstriking army (min sized stormies, 3 fast attack, termie hq, 1 callidus, 1 inquisitor with termie armor, 1 inquisitor with termie armor/gk termie squad). Seemed like fun, but the randomness of reserves, and the waste of the troop slots deterred me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My style of playing daemonhunters is as follows in an 1850 list-

I mount 3 units of storm troopers in rhinos they are armed with melta-guns and plasma-guns. I also mount a CC inquisitor lord SUPRISE SUPRISE! he has a full retinue and 2 cc geared henchmen. I also attach a GK grandmaster to this unit as well. So on the charge i have 2 in. 5 characters that are a nasty combinaiton. I will generall play with the tactic of running the rhinos in a wedge pattern in front of the command chimera. This prevents the chimera from being picked off from enemy fire. I try to keep these units togather so as to prevent them from being isolated and picked off. I generally run the "CIRCLE THE WAGONS" strategie. That is to say that after i move with the rhinos i pivot them pop smoke and dump the storm troopers behined them. This shields them from on comming fire and enables them to fire next turn where as they wouldnt if they had stayed in the vehicles. I run two inquisitors with small retinue just for that plasma cannon. These units are by far some of the most effective shooty units in the army. With two sages youll almost never miss. And for only 90pts they almost aways make there points back. These are very effective at the dreaded drop pod armies. I also go with a dread. with plasma cannon just to get another one. Then there is the eversor assassin who is there beucase every opponent fears him and he makes the opponent change his plans just to deal with him. Also the three dropping gk squads are just a nail in the coffen for my opponent.

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
My DH Style: (1500)

I use a single GM and attach him to a squad of regular GKs (8x man), including 2x incinerators, and put them in a LRC. I use a squad of Dominions with 4x meltaguns and an immolator for my anti-tank (a little costly but works like a charm). I run a squad of 10x GKs (all regular /w Justicar ofcourse) on the opposite side of my LRC (usually). Also, I use a 5x Man Terminator squad /w regular BC and will either DS them or run them along side my walking GK squad. Normally, the immolator lines up closest to the enemies tank threat and the LRC up to their biggest threat (Demon Prince, Honor Guard squad, demons, etc.)

·
durus
2,578 Posts
My HQ is a Grandmaster and Retinue of 6 Termies Teleporting, my Grandmaster has a Psycannon, and I give one to a Termy for a shooty squad as well.

In 1500+ games I ALWAYS take a Callidus, in small games I might take an Eversor.

I like to have one smallish PAGK squad with two Psycannons, and an attached =][= with Psycannon for my firebase. I have one PAGK squad of 10 that marches.

One FAGK squad of 10 with Melta-bombs, two of these squads if points permit, and a squad of Seraphim if I don't take IG.

I like at least two dreads one with TLLC/ML and the other the same or sometimes AC/CCW.

If I have extra points I will take Armoured fist squads (Lascannon, Plasma Gun, Vet Sgt) with a Chimera with Improved Comms.

If I play against a CC oriented army, I play shooty until assaulted, and against a Shooty army, I go on the offensive and DS for CC.

In a Cleanse game I will Deepstrike for sure, but in long board edge games I will start most of my squads on the board.

·
Registered
442 Posts
DH are actually pretty limited in choices compared to many armies.

Radical cannot take GK (half the codex)
Puritan cannot take Daemonhosts (a small, but very flavorful part of codex)

There are several ways to play DH.

Personally, I once chose a "shooty" GK army. It was something like:

Grandmaster w/psycannon
GKT retinue of 2 GKT, 1 w/psycannon

5xGK squad w/2 psycannons

2 GK Dreadnoughts w/TLLC & ML

This is not my exact comp or points, off the top of my head it's close though. I outshot a Tau army with this force. I sat back at 30" and traded shots with the Tau. Shrouding worked wonders, and the AP4 on the psycannons tore through the Tau armor. I had some success with a similar army against a BA army (I was on defense) by being able to shoot his troops (and Rhino's) before they could get close enough to assault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts