Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Sorry to inflict this upon you all, but once again another 'beginner' is stuck choosing a new army. I have looked at the sticky above but it hasn't really helped me as most of the stuff in there I already know.

The problem is I have played the hobby for about 8 years but sold all my stuff 6 months ago, yet now I want to get back into the hobby. I have played Tyranids, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Daemon Hunters and Space Marines through my GW hobby Career.

I decided to pick up Orks due to their character but there are a few things that turned me off. I dislike the mass of men due to painting, kind of fed up of full on assualty and the new 5th ed rules with glancing hits puts me off them big time; specially as I am playing competativly.

Basically, I would like a shooty army that is also competitve. It would also be nice to have a HQ to go thumpin things in combat.

So far I can't decide between:

Witch Hunters (Unsure on same metal models + Organ thing looks dumb)
Tau (Funny feet, lol)
Space Marine (Can be anything I want them to be, but a bit bland and common)

Any other suggestions would be great. I think so far I am leaning towards witch hunters, but are they comeptitive in GT and can they deal with enemy tanks AV14 ok?

Thank you, sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Suggestion

I would humbly suggest Tyranids. Or did you say you already have them? Anyway, with the current rules Tyranids can be shooty, assaulty, mixed, and always have an HQ unit that can squish pretty much anyone in Hand to Hand. Plus you can always go for swarm or medium or small numbers depending on what units you choose. So much variety, how can you go wrong?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply

I have had tyranids in the past and I think I'd like to try something different. True they are fun but unsure if I want to go down the alien/bug route this time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'd go with chaos.....well I went with chaos :?, anyway. They have great hq, and good versatility. Not the 6 man las/plas, but the oblits have great minis and chaos termies rock. Plus realy custumazible squads with the Icons. Tzench = inv saves, nurgle= tougher marines, slanesh= faster reaction time and khorne extra att. So realy depends on the role you give them the mark you give em, or just go with no mark at all

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think you should go with the tau,they are probably the most mobile shooty army (maybe eldars too?) and can very easily adapt to any situation.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the witch hunters. personally i struggle finishing my marine army off but if i would switch to something it would most def. be the inquisition.

psy-cannon inquisitor w. HB servitor retinue
eversor assassin
death cult assassin

very, very tempting to drop my marines for these reasons alone ;)
then of course you have the faith points for sisters that give them all kind of different abilities so I would say they are most definitely competitive. I'd go with a mobile list with lots of flamer and melta goodness myself. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.