Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000pt game vs Deathwing (drop pod and deep strike heavy).

Last time I beat it pretty easily, however it was easy to sit back and let him come to me through a hail of storm bolters.

This mission has loot counters worth a lot more than killing the enemy so I need to make serious movement to the objectives.

My concern is drop pods. My Inquisitorial shooty squad and it's free shots at deep strikers may be worthless when the enemy can put the pod between my inquisitor and his termies. Has anyone had luck using that ability with pods? I may put the points elswhere if I don't see this working.

I'm thinking of fighting termies with termies. If I do the GM squad AND an elite squad, which I've never done, that's two squads of the best termies in the game and I will get the jump on any thunderhammers he may have, and go toe to toe with lightning claws.

I'm also of thinking of walking these guys to maybe get the jump on deep strikers. Although the road may be a long one to the objective.

I'm doing no STs in this one.

My main plan is to keep all my GKs tight and dominate the closest objective and make a last turn attempt the second, leaving the third to my opponent. That way I can put serious pressure on the second counter. Basically sweep the side of the table so any DS fall to one side only.

Anyone else with luck against Deathwing. I'm not worried actually, just curious on others experiences.

· Registered
376 Posts
I'm surprised he footslogged across the table to get to you. I play Deathwing and as it happens I played DH about twop weeks ago. I used drop Dreads with Plasma and DSed a few squads in. Stormbolters against Acs are not a good match up for GK and termies are better saves as well. His only unit that I feared was his GM and retinue and I held back my Libbie and retinue in case I had to counter charge - never came to that as my Dreads did their work.
Psycannon Dreads are pretty useful. Use two termie squads and fight fire with fire. Why no STS ? Use Stormtroopers and load them up with plasma - nothing is worse for termies. They can tie these guys up long enough for you to get close and do some damage. And put them in Chimeras with some weaponry.

· Registered
445 Posts
Since your playing 2000 points, how about taking 2 LRCs for your 2 GK troop squads, then take everything else Deep Strike. Put a tp homer on each of your squads in the LRCs. LRCs can drive fast to a counter (or two) and unload GK to grab it/defend it. Then you have plenty of GKT/FAGK that can DS onto other loot counters, or using tp homers, can DS in to help defend the ones you've got. They also then avoid foot-slogging and any return fire from your opponent.

Also, don't forget that Drop Pods are immobile, and GK are S6 in assault. That means, if you charge it you will automatically hit. You do need 6's to glance, but all you need is 1 weapon destroyed result (or immobilize, which becomes a weapon destroyed) to make it useless. It can also provide your troops cover (as a vehicle it blocks LOS for infantry).

· Registered
3,523 Posts
Use the same tactics that you'd use against SM: Plasma, Plasma, Plasma!

Multiple Inquisitor units, with either a Plasma Cannon (or even Multi-Meltas) or with three Plasma Gun Vets. Don't put plasma on the Inquisitor - if it overheats and he dies, his entire unit is removed. Every one of these squads should have 2 Sages (for the reroll, which can beat overheating) and as many Mystics (for the ability to shoot at Deepstriking units) as you can squeeze in. In fact, if you take the max of four Inquisitor units, each with two Mystics, you can basically negate the problem of a Pod blocking LoS.

IST with plasma guns. I know you said you aren't using them, but for 100pts you can get an 8-man unit of these with 2 plasma guns. Not bad, considering that he'll only have 2 terminators for that many points.

A Dreadnought or two with Plasma Cannon will help you - a blast template that negates the armor save of a Terminator? Yes please! Keep a DCCW on the other arm and these guys can back you up in combat.

Orbital Strike (Lance, probably) could be handy, as it also negates their armor save. Place it somewhere fairly central and hope it scatters into newly-Deepstrike enemy units. Since Drop Pods scatter as well, he can't avoid the Lance's danger zone as easily.

A good sized unit of GKT would be handy, yes, but I wouldn't bother with a GM in this case - too easy for him to be killed in return. Don't bother with special weapons or hammers, just stick with the standard loadout. As much as I dislike this item, a Holy Relic might really save your ass here, since you'll be depending on taking out them before their Initiative comes up.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
410 Posts
Yes, go plasma heavy. Also consider putting assault cannons on your dreads. You get twice as many shots that way.

I would say throw in a Callidus assassin too. She will chew up a bunch of termies like no tomorrow and easily pay for herself.

I think having the Grandmaster (necessary to take the Dreads) is a good idea. His initative will beat most termies.

· Registered
281 Posts
a lot of good advice here.
normally im against plasma weapons - but this case is a exception. a plasma cannon on a dread would be positively evil against troops dropping in. an 8 man st squad with plasma like the one megalo mentioned could be very useful and it wouldnt need to kill much to get a good return on points.

as for the inq squad - i wouldnt go overboard on either end. keep one, but dont take four. remember that two mystics allow a unit within 6 inches shoot for you. this neat ability would help against those drop pods he is screening with by allowing a close by unit to take some shots. give this guy a P.C. servitor, a few sages and several mystics and sit him within 6 inches of a dread with a P.C. or another shooty squad and you shouldnt worry much about his drop pod technique.

other advice: get to the marker you want to hold fast! st's in a rhino would be good, or even a LR. get two vehicles there and use them to make a "wagon ring" around the objective. this will make it very difficult for him to menuver to it, or ds to it. even after the tanks have been busted they will still block los and act as instant terrain. from here you can make a good push to the 2nd objective, even before many of his units have landed.

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice all.

I totally forgot about the plasma dread we can have. I'm doing a conversion this weekend. Two would be great, but I traded one for some sister stuff. CCW would normally be good to tie up termies with Lightning claws, but my friends army has a thunderhammer theme. Good for my GK intiative though.

STs with two plasma is a great deal no doubt, but my experience has been bad so I'm trying a game without.

Here's an interesting little inquisitor bit. If I take a 2HB/plasma cannon ret. I get a lot more range and shots with the 2 sages since it counts as stationary shots. If I take the plasma guns, I get only 1 shot at 24". Sure no save, but HBs would probably be better for performance. Of course the average sight distance is 13 to 14 inches. So maybe plasma guns are better.

Orbital strike could be very nice. I'm thinking of targeting the far objective. Always good for laughs.

· Registered
3,523 Posts
bonedale said:
Here's an interesting little inquisitor bit. If I take a 2HB/plasma cannon ret. I get a lot more range and shots with the 2 sages since it counts as stationary shots. If I take the plasma guns, I get only 1 shot at 24". Sure no save, but HBs would probably be better for performance. Of course the average sight distance is 13 to 14 inches. So maybe plasma guns are better.
Something many people neglect to try out is a unit composed solely of Inquisitor (almost nekkid, maybe a bolter & auspex), 2 Sages, Mystic, and PC Servitor. You won't be wasting points on those Heavy Bolters (which, as funnymouth pointed out, allows them their saves), but you'll still have the 36" range. Its an effective solution if your list is already over the points limit, since we all know how expensive a DH force can become when you aren't paying attention to it. I've also found that a lot of people will skip this unit over - I mean, it's a unit of 5 infantry with only one real weapon in it! But when you look at the abilities - it's basically a Plasma Cannon Dreadnought for less points. The sage's reroll ability negates overheating, and the mystic's ability gives it even more usefulness than a Dread. Not as hardy, yes, but it is a viable option.

· Registered
445 Posts
Whenever I take an =I= it's always the 2x HB + 1 PC shooty retinue. It works very well for a turn or two, until they get blasted to bits. They have the durability of a wet paper bag, unless you load up with cheap 6+ save guys and sit in 4+ fortified cover.

I also love the PC on the dreadnought. However, the newest problem is with 4th Ed. The AC got a huge boost, but the PC dropped. By having to center the PC blast template (not a particularly bad ruling, mind you) the effectiveness of the template dropped significantly. The chances of getting more than one model under a blast template now is remote. It might as well not get a blast template. Still, it's a nice weapon to use against SM/CSM because of the S and AP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.