Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have a Vampire on an Abyssal Terror (or at least Hellstead) for use in larger games / for a change.

How ever I am stumped for inspiration, and with no news on a GW produced version of either of these it looks like improvising is required.

Has anyone given any thought to these two mounts and what they might use to represent them?

N1AK

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I thought about this thing: Games Workshop Online Store — Nightmare Dragon

With a Bat head. Not sure how to go about fashioning such a head. Possibly a felbat, or maybe some sort of model bat, or sculpting out of green stuff.

Then maybe some green stuff fur and/or hangy bits.
that's hideous. Is that an actual model or a bunch of parts cobbled together (looks like the latter)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have you seen the artwork for the Abyssal Terror? A bunch of parts cobbled together with a bat head is pretty spot-on... ( also I think the longer you stare at it, the less stupid it appears. Kinda like 'abstract art' for miniatures)

Really not fond of the artist they got working on the VC stuff, the one they did a feature on in the February's WD. Just looks like he vomitted on an otherwise mediocre drawing.

·
459 Posts
Isn't Abyssal Terror just the new name for the Winged Nightmare? couldn't you just could use the old model, maybe with a bat head switch if you had to have a bat head?

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a project lined up for my new Winged Nightmare, now it seems it will be my new Abyssal Terror. ;)

It is the body of the shaggoth, with the wings from The Lord of Change and the head of a tuskgor. And greenstuff to make it all fit together. Plus a little creativity, my weak point...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope:

Nightmare - Basic Mount
Hellstead - Winged Nightmare
Abyssal Terror - Monstrous Mount
Zombie Dragon

I had a project lined up for my new Winged Nightmare, now it seems it will be my new Abyssal Terror. ;)

It is the body of the shaggoth, with the wings from The Lord of Change and the head of a tuskgor. And greenstuff to make it all fit together. Plus a little creativity, my weak point...
Liking the sound of it, the Shaggoth body is a very clever base to build up from :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Really not fond of the artist they got working on the VC stuff, the one they did a feature on in the February's WD. Just looks like he vomitted on an otherwise mediocre drawing.

What the artist John Blanche????? um the games workshop art director whose vision has practically sculpted the entire warhammer world since conception and who pretty much invented miniture painting??????
ok, im maybe going over the top and if ya dont like him, ya dont like him, but you should at least know who the guy is!

·
Registered
84 Posts
i thought it would be cool to get the dark elf manticore model and add a couple of parts from the vargulf to it. like the head for example.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
What the artist John Blanche????? um the games workshop art director whose vision has practically sculpted the entire warhammer world since conception and who pretty much invented miniture painting??????
ok, im maybe going over the top and if ya dont like him, ya dont like him, but you should at least know who the guy is!
Haha, I honestly didn't know who John Blanche was when I posted that (Warhammer art never being that interesting to me, in general).

Since then I've become aware of who he is and what else he's done, and I realize that I like ALOT of his work, it's just the VC stuff doesn't look the same as most anything else he did. And I'm just not fond of it at all (though the Varghulf and Dire Wolf picture are pretty good).

I especially love his Inquisitor stuff.

·
260 Posts
Nightmare - Basic Mount
Hellstead - Winged Nightmare
Abyssal Terror - Monstrous Mount
Zombie Dragon
N1AK

I think its more like
Nightmare - Basic mount
Skeletal Steed - Basic mount with ethereal movement
Hell Steed - Basic mount with flying movement
Abyssal Terror - Old version Winged Nightmare
Over priced (points) Zombie Dragon - Worse Zombie Dragon

·
Registered
199 Posts
i thought it would be cool to get the dark elf manticore model and add a couple of parts from the vargulf to it. like the head for example.
I was thinking along these lines. Is the Vargulfs head seperate from the rest of the body?

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
N1AK

I think its more like
Nightmare - Basic mount
Skeletal Steed - Basic mount with ethereal movement
Hell Steed - Basic mount with flying movement
Abyssal Terror - Old version Winged Nightmare
Over priced (points) Zombie Dragon - Worse Zombie Dragon
The zombie dragon thing is debateable. Sure it lost a wound, a toughness, and an attack, but its also a bit cheaper and the increases WS means that it will be hitting 1/6 more often against most foes. Before most foes hit it on 4s. Now most opponents hit it on 5s.

More WS means it takes less hits in CC, and it actually hits more often than it did with WS and 6 attacks. Plus, you can still heal it.

·
It's what's for dinner
1,284 Posts
Well, I personally can't help but to cross over Fantasy and 40k miniatures. Example, I use kroot hounds as my dire wolves, and use lizardmen as 40k daemons. To your question though, why not use some Tyranid bits? They tend to be complete flesh and bones, very gross, clawed, and predatory. Mix some bits in with some of the already vicious Fantasy beasts, and you got yourself one mean mount that will scare most opponents.:0

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
I have a vampire riding a Balrog for my abysmal terror which I used as a winged nightmare last edition, he needs to be re-painted as I painted it a while ago so it could look a lot better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts