Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've started collecting a Tau army not very long ago, so far I have 2 troops, 1 heavy support, and 2 HQ's (1 special character, which I plan to take out when I'm finished my army). I have pretty much everything of my army covered, and I'm wondering if you guys can spot anything wrong with it. And I know there probably aren't many people collecting Tau here (hopefully there are), so if you need to ask any questions, please do so.

HQ:
Commander
Twin-linked missile pods
Shield Generator
Hardwired Shield Drones
2 Bodyguards, each with:
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Shield Generator
Hardwired Multi-tracker

I may choose to duplicate the above arrangement to fill up the 2nd HQ choice, or use an Ethereal (I am more likely to choose the former).

ELITE:
2 Stealth teams, leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight.
1 Crisis battlesuit team
Suit A:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Burst Cannon
Suit B:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle
Leader:
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
Hardwired Gun Drones

TROOPS:
4 Fire Warior teams
Leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight
2 Kroot Carnivore teams
Shapers (Leaders) have Pulse Rifles (Fire warrior normal guns)

NO FAST ATTACK (IMO they all suck.)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Hammerhead Gunship
Ion Cannon
Smart Missiles
1-4 Seeker missiles (can't decide yet.)
Multitracker
Sensor Spines
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pod
Target Lock
1-2 Broadside Teams
Suit A:
Shield Drones
Suit B:
Shield Generator
Leader has Shield Generator and hardwired shield drones.

The total of this comes out to approximately 2500 points, probably higher. I chose not to take any fast attack, since Gun Drones are only useful for taking hits (can't do that in a fast attack squad), and pathfinders aren't that much better, if not worse. I chose to have 2 stealth teams instead of 2 crisis battlesuit squads since I already will have a lot in the HQ choices by then. The tank has an Ion cannon instead of a railgun, since the Broadside battlesuits have railguns. What else...

The kroot carnivores are only marginally useful to my army, so I chose less. These will serve kinda like a padding to soften enemy assaults. Although they will probably all die in close combat (I stink at rolls.), the turns taken for these will preserve time for the rest of my army to go for more threatening targets (ie. heavy support). Hopefully by the time they are all dead, there will only be a couple units remaining besides the assaulting squads. I will then send in my HQ (if he has not already died) since he has BS 5, or I may try to shoot them down before they can get to me.

The only weakness I can see for my army is close combat. Kroot squads aren't very good at close combat either, compared to the armies I will be facing.

Whew...that was quite a long post! -_-

·
Registered
377 Posts
I can't comment on the army much, but it is a good idea to get rid of that special character. They detract from an army's interest more than anything.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Mucho problems... tau are poison in long range battles... (my nids got beat up again... ;()

especially their pulse lasers and drones, both cheap and monstrous in battle...

But a question: why does it says one shot? can it only fire once?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mucho problems... tau are poison in long range battles... (my nids got beat up again... ;()

i think it is a good army but if you play a clense mission (most spots on the board) you would want to play with ur 2 HQs because it would distract the other player while ur other troops do all the offical bussiness or you could just suicide him :roll:

·
Registered
523 Posts
HQ:
Commander
Twin-linked missile pods
Shield Generator
Hardwired Shield Drones
2 Bodyguards, each with:
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Shield Generator
Hardwired Multi-tracker

I may choose to duplicate the above arrangement to fill up the 2nd HQ choice, or use an Ethereal (I am more likely to choose the former).
Ok now I tend to go a different way with my boss. Plasma rifle and fusion gun and the bodyguard are equipped twin linked plasma rifles and fusion guns. This team can do the damage to anybody. I use a shield too with my Shas'o and then hw a multitracker and drone controller. Bodyguard equip hw-multitrackers and one guy goes hw-drone controller. I like etherals and I really like Anushi. Just my opinion though.
ELITE:
2 Stealth teams, leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight.
Stealth teams are cool and can be very useful. Nice choice two of them if you have the points.
1 Crisis battlesuit team
Suit A:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Burst Cannon
Suit B:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle
Leader:
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
Hardwired Gun Drones
I use missile pods and plasma rifles here too. Dont use the burst cannon though. Stick to a common equipment otherwise you may find yourself in situations where another plasma rifle comes in handy.

TROOPS:
4 Fire Warior teams
Leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight
2 Kroot Carnivore teams
Shapers (Leaders) have Pulse Rifles (Fire warrior normal guns)
These are all good choices. I hope their bonded though and the same for the rest of your troops.

NO FAST ATTACK (IMO they all suck.)

I do like pathfinders. 8 markerlights. 8 missiles. I once took out half a marine unit with these guys.
HEAVY SUPPORT:
Hammerhead Gunship
Ion Cannon
Smart Missiles
1-4 Seeker missiles (can't decide yet.)
Multitracker
Sensor Spines
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pod
Target Lock
I use the hammerhead too but I use two of them one railgun one ion cannon. They are extremely versatile and backed up with broadsides will rule the table.
1-2 Broadside Teams
Suit A:
Shield Drones
Suit B:
Shield Generator
Leader has Shield Generator and hardwired shield drones.
Gotta take 3. Their still good but three is so much better and two armed with target locks and the other with drones keeps them around and increases your fire opportunity. Thats 3 transports gone in the first round.

Well thats my 2 cents I hope it helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
YOUR SHAS'O HAS A TWIN LINKED MISSILE POD?! WHY DO YOU NEED A TWIN LINKED WEAPON ON A UNIT THAT HAS A BS OF 5?!

Besides that its ok

·
Registered
135 Posts
Give your Shas'o weapons that you need to hit with. For instance a fusion blaster for those pesky landraiders that make a move on you. Or a plasma rifle for the hords of marine players out there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
a tau cdr should not have twin linked weps, and max him out! plasma, fusion all that stuff

plus even then
he has 3 hardwired systems that do not take up space on the hard points of the battle suit
id max him out as much as possible

and ur elites
y do u have 2 stealth squads?
id improve by adding another crisis squad
crisis suits are powerful and have plasma/missile/fusion capabilities

your hvy support completely duplicates mine! and it rules!
hvy support is where all the rail guns of tau are located, and if u dunt have rail guns in a tau army, well there wasn't much point to choosing to use tau then

else...it looks pretty good,....a lot of troop choices, id cut those down in small point battles, unless u fite against army with numbers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks great to me. Only thing I'd change is making sure all suits (except Shas'O of course) have Missle Pods and Plasma Rifles. Shas'O works pretty good with Fusion cannons I've heard... Anyway, love the Fire Warriors. If it were me, I would even consider switching out the Kroot for more Fire ;) Thats just my little shooty-self though. kroot is probably the better option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.