Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has played 40k has had bad luck at some point.
Whether it’s a lone scout taking out 5 berserkers or 4 veteran sergeants dying in one turn due to plasma overheats (something that has happened to me personally)
I just wanted to hear some good old-fashioned rough luck stories

Have at it.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
First and last time I ever used the Veil of Darkness on my Necron Lord. Took a unit of 10 Warriors with him, scattered onto the enemy and it cost me the game.

·
Registered
45 Posts
During my third game ever my friend and I scraped together about 1500 points of Eldar and Guard to play a two-on-one game against another friends Necrons. My Leman Russ(the only thing we had that could scratch his Monolith) got decimated by Destroyers on turn two. By the end of turn three my cannon fodder bit the dust and my friend was well on his way to single-handedly annhilating us with no casualties. It was pretty pathetic.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Rough luck? Let's see... 6 Grey Knight Termies, led by a Grandmaster. 10 man tactical squad, all bolters. One shooting phase at around 10 inches later... 6 dead termies, 1 wound left on the GM. I just stared at all the ones and shook my head. Granted, old Nashorn (my GM) utterly devoured the Tacticals when he went looking for revenge next turn, but still, 8 ones out of 11 or 12 saves! Aargh!!!

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
Rough luck? Let's see... 6 Grey Knight Termies, led by a Grandmaster. 10 man tactical squad, all bolters. One shooting phase at around 10 inches later... 6 dead termies, 1 wound left on the GM. I just stared at all the ones and shook my head. Granted, old Nashorn (my GM) utterly devoured the Tacticals when he went looking for revenge next turn, but still, 8 ones out of 11 or 12 saves! Aargh!!!
I've had the opposite actually. In a small game of FB, my High Elves against a fried's ogres, my spearmen managed to cause an absolute bucketload of wounds on his leadbelchers - probably about two thirds of my attacks actually wounded, but then he rolled his saves (they had a spell that gave them a regeneration save) and passed all but one of them. That was a case of great rolling on both sides, but it was quite annyting to see all of my spearmen's good work go to waste like that.

Talking of dice rolling, actually, the other week I saw a game where there was one particular die which rolled a 6 nearly every time one of the players used it, but whenever his opponent used it I can't remember it scoring higher than about 3, and it was usually 1. After a few rolls with that I was vrtually on the floor laughing...

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
6 Raveners charged 5 Terminators, 30 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 5 raveners make 20 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 4 raveners make 16 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 3 raveners make 12 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators lose one to regular wounds, kill 1 ravener. Next phase, 2 raveners make 8 attacks, 8 rends. Sigh. 78 attacks with 0 6's, then 8 attacks with 8. Still barely over half of what odds were.

·
709 Posts
Cleanse mission, 1250 points. My IG vs. Vanilla marines. Drop army with vindicator in reserves. I deploy and get first turn, tanks are in reserves.

Bottom of turn 2, entire marine army, save vindicator, comes in. All land on target. 4 tactical squads proceed to annihilate my army. One squad with a good chance of returning fire runs off after 3 casualties.

Top of 4, my tanks come in. I also sucessfully manage to kill a squad of 10 down to all save one marine...who has a flamer.

Bottom of 6, a handful of hardened vets hold out in the middle of the table. I have 5 models left on the board.

Worst loss I've ever had.

·
Registered
52 Posts
One of my early games versus Tau with my Eldar;

I was rolling up his flank, having taken out his skyray and a unit of 3 battlesuits. Minimal casaulties on my side. A second unit of 3 suits jump in. My entire army shoots at these three suits, guided scatterlasers, 2 dire avenger bladestorms, 8 Warp spiders, a falcon and a serpent to kill essentially 6 Space Marines (6 wounds, 3+save) he made 27 consecutive 3+ saves. GG right there!

·
Registered
301 Posts
6 Raveners charged 5 Terminators, 30 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 5 raveners make 20 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 4 raveners make 16 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators kill 1 ravener. Next combat phase, 3 raveners make 12 attacks, 0 rends. Terminators lose one to regular wounds, kill 1 ravener. Next phase, 2 raveners make 8 attacks, 8 rends. Sigh. 78 attacks with 0 6's, then 8 attacks with 8. Still barely over half of what odds were.
I was going to tell my tail of stealers and rending lacking, but its poor in comparison to this -- what offence did you make to the dice gods for 4 rounds without 6s (and more importantly what offering did you make to get 8 all at once after that?)

but I can tell you of my loss to Tau; 2 turns, 2 hammer heads with rail guns against 30 stealers at range. Result - 30 dead stealers and the backbone of my army shattered! (even before the stealers could do a thing!)

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Last man standing 40k related game during a lunch-break. Probably 3rd edition

One chaos lord running past the front of my Leman Russ MBT. Exactly 6" away from said tank.

Battlecannon fires, scatter dice happens. Leman Russ blows itself up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When I was playing my dwarves a long time ago, pair of cannons, each firing for 4 turns, managed to kill 1 cold on knight. 1. My guesses were on every time, but of the 8 shots only one hit due to poor artillery dice rolls. one stopped 0.5 of an inch short of the enemy general.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Battle Cannon

Playing marines at 1500 points last night I was busy rushing my Tactical squad forward within their Rhino when my IG opponent fired the Battle Cannon of a Leman Russ at the hapless vehicle.

He promptly rolled a 4 to hit, 5 to penetrate and then scored a six on the ordinance damage table removing the vehicle and the entire tactical squad, 270 points all together from the table. The blast then slew 2 scouts who were taking cover in the woods from which the rhino had emerged only seconds before.

Next time I will be taking two Rhinos.

·
335 Posts
I'll tell you the ultimate rough luck story.

Me and a bud were playing in local indie. Something like 2k points.

Half way through the game (before like more than 10 models were dead) the table snapped in half, crushing almost every miniature and then the heavy terrian fell on top of the ruins.

In the middle of my 'holy crap!' Shock unable to move or speak moment, my bud took it alot easier and after a few seconds he yelled "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!" Which made the moment funny for a few minutes.

Total damages around $400 worth of models, another $200 of terrian and $15 for the table.

Ah, good times -_-

·
Resident Mongoose
797 Posts
I just read that and winced. That doesn't happen often. I really don't know what else can possibly compare to that.
But as for the worst luck, my friends and I have had some funny encounters:
And entire devastator squad, including the sgt, overheating plasma cannon round and killing itself to a man in one shooting phase. Missing a rhino with four lascannons for four consecutive turns. Earthshaker rounds scattering every which way, killing anything indiscriminantly.
Our personal best: My friend vs thousand sons, 3rd ed codex. He's running two basisilisks and a demolisher. Ordinance killed nothing that game. NOTHING. He put down 3 instant kill pie plates of death a turn, and killed NOTHING. The highlight was his earthshaker scattering and acing the demolisher.

·
575 Posts
40k 3rd. ed:

One game, my opponent's Rough Riders charged my Ork HQ. 14 attacks with hunting lances didn't even manage to cause a single wound and when the Nobz struck back, the Oomie's ride really became rough 8Y

But I also had my share of tough luck: Once my Ork Warlord suffered 3 Wounds whilst in CC. He was wearing Maga-Armour then. So just making at least one of the three 2+ saves and he will bring his Powerclaw to bear. And the chances of three dice all coming up "1" are less than 0.5%. But that day, the dice gods weren't green... :?

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I once fielded a Farsight Tau army in a local tournie. In a game vs Tzzentch daemon-bomb, my opponent went first. His total shooting on turn 1 were two bolt shots at Farsight & Retinue (3 suits, 2 shield drones, Big Red). The two bolts killed both drones, Farsight failed his leadership roll and fled the table. Turn 1 loss, basically.

More recently in a 400pt conbat patrol tournie, I fielded a Plaguemarine squad and a Raptor squad vs Emperor's Children. After a vicious battle, it was down to 1 PM with a plasma rifle and 1 EC champ with powerfist, 6" apart from each other. And it was my turn! My PM fired twice, overheated twice and died. So close....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll tell you the ultimate rough luck story.

Me and a bud were playing in local indie. Something like 2k points.

Half way through the game (before like more than 10 models were dead) the table snapped in half, crushing almost every miniature and then the heavy terrian fell on top of the ruins.

In the middle of my 'holy crap!' Shock unable to move or speak moment, my bud took it alot easier and after a few seconds he yelled "THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!" Which made the moment funny for a few minutes.

Total damages around $400 worth of models, another $200 of terrian and $15 for the table.

Ah, good times -_-
Thats the saddest thing i have ever heard.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This pales to invisibility next to the horrors that have already been posted, but this is my only real brush with bad luck; and it wasn't even mine.

I was versing a friend's tyranids and all I had was a dire avengers squad. Killed his entire squad of hormagaunts in a single shooting phase, his brood lord and retinue appears, rolls poor for terrain, and is 2mm too far away to assault, they are killled in a single phase with 5 wounds left over. another squad of genestealers appears and are again 2mm too far away to charge after rolling poorly for fleet they are likewise eliminated. It really wasn't his day. but on the bright side (for him), my DA's were all eliminated when he charged a hive tyrant and CC fex into them the next turn.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.