LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Foil

I am terrible at using GS so I have found an alternitive. I used this technique alot in my dreadnought for parchment banners and trims on the side of the armour.

If you use tubes of glue like i do then you have a whole library of potential parchments, scrolls, seals and banners.
View attachment 1621
Once you have used up all of the glue cut the tube near the ends. cut one of the sides so that it opens up like this.
View attachment 1622
View attachment 1623
From here you can cut it into different shapes for tonnes of paper-related objects.

Bye:soldier:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Heh, thats a nifty trick with the glue tubes...

Nice Dread so far! :beer:

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
You have made a good job in converting the Dread... but the pics are so blurry...

What have you used inside the sarcofagus? The red as I see it?

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah... sorry bout the blur.

I used wires (mostly copper) from an old circut kit that I got when I was about 9. The red wires are just wires with the red insulating stuff on it. I also used copper wires, and wrapped one around the other to have a kinda power cable look.
If you have an old broken down (beyond repair) TV, computer etc then use the wires out of those.
View attachment 1635
This shot is VERY blury so I apologise

Cya:soldier:

·
Borderlands addict
971 Posts
I REALLY like this! :)

I've tried the glue tube trick as well, but have also used old toothpaste tubes for larger banners. I do like your renditions very much, they look really well done.

Now obviously I don't know what you use to take your pictures(camera, phone, etc) if you can find it, look for the symbol of a flower. This is macro and helps take close up shots. I apologise if you've already tried this, and I do not wish to insult your intelligence. I hope you take no offence ;)

Overall this is a very nice conversion...something I may have to try myelf... :p hehe *reps*

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks

I did try macro but my camera is realy old so ive got to make do

I'm going to my local hobby shop today to show it off and get a few ideas. Fingers crossed! More updates tomorrow.

P.S. none taken:soldier:

·
Hero of War
1,348 Posts
Nice work! Not the best photos, but the model is looking pretty cool! I got the AoBL set and was a bit gutted at the limited opportunities for converting, but I think you had done a great job! Certainly better than I could!

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
If possible, I think you should flip the Iron Halo on the sarcophagus so it rests on top of the Imperial Aquila's wings instead of on the bottom.

That said, it looks really, truly, incredibly awesome...much better than anything I could ever hope to do. Rep for you!

Edit: on second thought, I see you worked the helmet into the upper half of the sarcophagus...reversing the Iron Halo could obscure it, and I think the helmet looks cooler that way. So ignore the rest of this post :)

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, when I went to my local hobby shop yesterday, the owner Tom, told me to just "paint it up!"

I will try to get it painted this week but it might take a while cuz i'm realy busy. But first I'm gonna try to get some fantasy sheilds to put on either side of the sarcofigus. Kinda like this-----
View attachment 1643

So if anyone has some last-minute ideas than it is much appriciated.

Bye :soldier:

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
Hey, I like what you have done with your dreadnought. He looks really cool. Just a quick question, what type of head is that on the last picture. It can't be a normal marine head.

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, I like what you have done with your dreadnought. He looks really cool. Just a quick question, what type of head is that on the last picture. It can't be a normal marine head.
It's a normal marine but i did some sanding down at the sides so it would fit (the pic with the dreaddy with the sheilds is not mine).

Hope that answers the question:soldier:

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
You have no idea how much I HATE those tubes of glue! they are useless!
Nice work so far, I throw out all my old glue tubes, I don't keep much of anything anymore.

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey

Painting officially starts tomorrow after getting a new can of primer this afternoon. I haven't found any sheilds that would work yet so I might have to buy some from GW. Anyways thanks for the comments and happy labour day for Monday (for everyone in Oz).

Bye:soldier:

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Primed

Ok so I primed the Dreddy thismorning and it's looking pretty good.

Here are a couple of pictures of Saxus -NOTE these Pics are much better than the first ones.

Front
View attachment 1663
Back
View attachment 1664

You can see much moe detail on him once he's primed which is good because otherwise it just looks way too crowed.

I found this great website that translates english wors to latin. I've got some words from it that i'm gonna paint onto Saxus.

Morior in Emporor's Ira= Die in the Emporors Wrath
Laus Deus Emporor = Praise the God Emporor
and my favourite
Defaeco Immunda = Purge the Unclean

Paintig is Officially underway!!!:soldier:

·
No King Rules Forever
284 Posts
In Latin, "Emperor" would translate to "Imperator", which sounds a lot more awesome in my opinion. I don't think the translation site you found is all that great, but it does give you the gist of what you're trying to say. GW butchers Latin all the time anyway :)

·
LO's resident Yowie
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Torso painted

In Latin, "Emperor" would translate to "Imperator", which sounds a lot more awesome in my opinion.
Thanks & I agree.

Ok so i've almost finished painting the torso of Saxus and he is looking pretty good to my opinion. I've made up some fluff to go with him...

Saxus was a member of the ultramarines for a short time before his comander spotted him hacking through a mobs of orks without getting a scratch on him. He was promoted to a sargent and then climbed up to a company champion. His expertise in fighting the green horde was soon reconised by the first company. He was accepted into the veteran company and on his second battle wearing the white-trimmed armour a Squiggoth came rampaging through the squad that he was in. Saxus jumped into the air and with extreme percision, cut the tendon on the back of its leg. The squiggoth came crashing down and landed on top of him and three of his battle brothers. once the battle was over, Saxus was crippled by his broken legs and hip but still very alive. He called out from under the gargantuan where an Apothacary found him and took him to their stronghold.

After being entoumbed, he used his knowledge of the orks to aid his brothers for over 900 years.

So what do you think?

Here are some pictures of the painted torso (not finished)
View attachment 1669
View attachment 1670
View attachment 1671
View attachment 1672
View attachment 1673

Hope you guys like it!:soldier:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts