Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have this HUGE game planned against Orks. I have a couple months to prepare and LOADS of IG to field. I need some help on tactics since I haven't faced Orks since around 3ed, and I've only played ONE Apoc battle.

I am going to field 12 russ variants, 10 of which will form an Apoc Tank Company data sheet.

1 squad of Demolishers
2 squads of standard
1 HQ Exterminator with HB all around

The other two are a Laser Destroyer and a Vanquisher.

I also have a Thunderbolt I plan on fielding.

I have a Shadowsword and a Baneblade that I'd like to throw down. The Baneblade will be the Fortress of Arrogance, since the idea behind our game is the battle for Armageddon.

The rest of my army I need help piecing together into the most effective force. I have...

4 Lascannon, 2 Autocannon, 1 missile launcher and 1 rocket launcher sentinel.

3 FULL platoons of IG, and 20 conscripts.

4 Full Stormtrooper squads

I have loads of heavy weapon, HQ and advisor models, so my options are pretty open. As far as heavy weapons, I have loads of rocket launchers. I prefer them, but I'm not limited to them.

I also have a bunch of Adeptus Mechanicus (my second army) models that I could add in and substitute with. I could use "counts as" rules for some of that stuff.

As far as Strategy, I'm thinking that I should take the doctrines: Techpriests, conscripts, Close Order Drill, Xenos-Fighters, and sharpshooters. I could substitute COD for Stormtroopers, but I think stormies are a big point sink. If I sub the Ad-Mech for WH, then I could take the stormies as allied WH.
I'm not sure about any of these fine details, and need help with specific tactics against the new Orks.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Ok well first off, I more or less broke down the new ork codex in an earlier thread here is the link for you while i haven't been able to actually play the new orks myself due to time constraints I'm pretty sure it should all work.

Your in for a hell of a challenge my friend. There is very little room for mistakes here. I'm still awaiting my apocalypse rule book to arrive :? So I'm going to speak in generalizations primarily and avoid anything specific until the book is in my hands ( which better be later today cause im getting a little angry)

Things that are a must: Thunderbolt i would rock this bad boy out with four bombs. When it comes it you will have a nasty little surprise waiting for any ork mob that is getting way to close for comfort. Stormsword and Baneblade: The amount of fire power these things pack is great the stormsword is a must just incase there are some Stompas roving around the field, the baneblade because you can level an entire ork mob in a single turn. Autocannons on everything you can. (Or missiles) Because of the mobility of ork trukks and the deadliness of fighta bombas i would ax heavy bolters from this list. There was a new data card put out for orks called Ork Trukk convey (check out that and the Green Tide here ) This means the already insanely fast Trukks are going to be moving even faster, hit them with autocannons and missile launchers early on to try and take away his legs. Also the extra 12 inches of range means you have a better chance of hitting any flyers that come zooming past. (A note on flyers, tack hks on everything even if they don't have and fightas they help when you have a tank stranded on the far end of the table and you have a trukk that needs killing. Due to the size of Apocalypse you might as well take them now)

i would drop COD in favor of stormtroopers. Maybe even xenos fighters. Simply because your goal is to stop them from getting into combat with you. I think once a mob hits your lines you need to start thinking about damage control, there is no way you are ever going to beat them in close combat. Keep the storm troopers as your reserve force. Deep strike flank march what ever you need to do, these are your big ticket item for hitting things like Shokk attack batteries, and big gun batteries. When they do get back there pretty much the entire ork army is heading the opposite direction leaving you easy pickings on his heavy weapons.
I'll have more after I get the book.. whenever that may be
This is what close to 8k? (or somewhere in the massive region)

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention that I have a basalisk and hellhound at my disposal (only one of each).

Yes, that deep strike on Stormies will be VITAL. Good point. Those guys will need to strike into enemy lines with some vehicle popping power. I've played an Armor vs Armor battle and it takes a long time for things to pan out. Them deep striking with melta bombs, a melta gun and a plasma gun could be good.

I was also thinking about a vet squad. They have BS 4, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra points. They're pretty fragile, but the added firepower of 4 special weapons (3 vets and 1 sgt) in a chimera might be able to lend some much needed punch to any holes in my line.

That's an interesting take. I never dreamed I'd be thinking of taking away heavy bolters! I was thinking economy of force here. If I take H Bolters, I can take MORE of them for the allotted points, but you may have a point. The extra range will give me a turn of shooting. There's only ONE small problem. If he gets to deploy first it may leave me cramped on deployment. The way Apoc works, I may not have the space I need to use long range weaponry.

I know for a fact that my enemy is taking an armored company similar to mine, but his models will be at BS 2. I also know that he has ONE flier he plans on fielding, but I'm not sure what kind it will be. The Ork fliers all carry bombs from what I remember, so I will try to shoot it down when I can.

I have never taken bombs on the Thunderbolt, so this will be new. I know that thing will shred any light vehicles. At least one of my vehicles will have improved comms, so I shouldn't have a problem with it showing up on turn 2.

Yes, this battle is going to be HUGE. It's going to be played at GenCon and it may take upwards of a day and a half.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Oh how are you on assassins? Vidicare assassins can really take the pop out of a mob. Nice shot right between the nobs eyes means thats like 5 less power klaw attacks. My big thing with autocannons is you only need a 2 in order to wound. And a 3 to damage a trukk, it makes life SO much easier having that flexibility. Then theres the missile launchers. He is going to have to cluster in order to fit his men on the table, once they are in a bottle next let her rip.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been busy for the past hour or two counting things up...

Well, as it turns out, I only have 3 auto cannon models, 8 lascannon models, 16 missile launcher models, and about 9 heavy bolter models.

I have 15 infantry squads which all need heavy weapons. The rest can be placed into platoons and HW support squads to attach to the HQ.

I have 9 plasma guns, 2 grenade launchers and a couple meltas and flamers. I don't plan on using those meltas and flamers. By the time the enemy gets that close, you're done. That leaves 4 squads without special weapons. I thought I'd use those as shields. Running them up to stop incoming traffic.

I do have a Vindicare. I also have 3 guys with sniper rifles. I was going to leave them out, but the assassin sounds like a good idea. I forgot about his targeting rule.

·
596 Posts
Templates, templates and more templates.
A few more basilisks would really help here, but you could get by without them.

Dont be tempted to use your large guns on the closest orks. It would be much better to target squads just behind their front runners to avoid having those valuable shots scatter and miss.
Use your heavy weapons to take out those squads isolated out in front. Heavy bolters will be of use here.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oooh, that's good! Thump em over the head then let the heavy guns take care of the rest.

I'm really concerned about which doctrines and which strategems are really the best ones to take. If anyone has any Apoc specific advice, I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive played a game of Apocalypse agaisnt orks. My opponent ran that 100 ork mob, and a few trukks deployed in the beginning, and flanked marched 12 killa kans and deff dreds into our side lines, and an orc baneblade with 30 boyz in our back with flank march.

If your opponent plans on doing something like this, I would take the Ambush assest for picking off his flankers, and if te field has a lot of trees, which ours did, Anti-Plant Barrage was probably the most uswful asset I took, leaving all his mobs out in the open. My team was mainly Guard with some Dark Eldar vs. mainly Orks with some Tyranid.

Bringing tanks in behind his lines with flank march might be useful, and orbital bombardment might be useful, but if he is fielding massive amounts of foot soldiers, the bombardments dont cause enough damage to justify their use. Hope this helps.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke with a master tactician at my local GW and he suggested the following Strategic Assets...

Bunkers - When combined with Cameoline it will give IG a 2+ cover save.

Tank Traps (Obsticles) - When placed correctly, it will funnel their vehicles into a kill zone and it will make their infantry want to stay put. Especially when combined with...

Minefields - Placed behind the tank traps, minefields will make the infantry think twice about coming through those tank traps to get into HtH.

If I put the tank traps 5 inches from no-mans land and a row of minefields 5 inches inside of the tank traps, then it will prevent jump infantry from making a full jump for two turns.

At this point, the only thing I worry about is his aircraft, which will have a field day with all of my bunched up units.

I also realized that I have the only weapon on the field that is Str D. This is going to be a huge advantage and one that I must protect. My Shadowsword is going to be a huge asset!

·
Registered
29 Posts
He's more than likely to go 'ooh, flank march' as an ork. Thus, tank traps and minefields...not so useful when he can go around them.

Wish you had more hellhounds. Those things are godly. I agree with your not using flamers and meltas, though. Considering that orks with a truck can assault, what, 26"? Yeah, pretty useless. Then again, so is a lasgun at that point.

·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He's more than likely to go 'ooh, flank march' as an ork. Thus, tank traps and minefields...not so useful when he can go around them.
He would have a hard time deploying from my table edge when there's 5000 points worth of IG all over my table edges. Besides, I'm not talking about bisecting the board, I'm talking about surrounding my entire army. You get a LOT of obstacles for your expense. The only problem is, I can't possibly capture an objective this way. I'd have to move through my own obstacles.

What would you suggest in stead of the obstacle/minefield idea? (I still think the Bunkers are a good idea)

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Tank traps wouldn't be a half bad idea. You can create a hell of a funnel for his trukks. Razor wire and barricades are ok, but more likely then not he will run right over them. If you take tank traps make sure you use all 12 sections to create a funnel for the trukks. These things work both ways though, because now your trapped. So if he has some sort of cunning plan you could be seriously up the creek with out a paddle.

I think your assets may be better spent on Supreme Headquarters, Scheduled Bombardment, and Strategic Redeployment. Supreme Headquarters for proving yourself with a solid center that won't be running anywhere, tank hunting teams will be even more effective around it. Scheduled Bombardment, you know they are going to be heading one way and one way only. So pick your targets and watch them get blown to an Orky hell. Strategic Redeployment is sweet for when your opponent overloads one flank with trukks. Let them get just close enough then have move enough of the flank so the trukks will be siting there stranded.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Having just finished a game. Orbital Bombardment Orbital Bombardment Orbital Bombardment. (And vortex Grenades)

One thing I learned. Be careful with your baneblade(s) I had the misfortune of a suicidal necron lord teleporting behind my banebalde sticking a vortex grenade to it blowing it to hell. Flank marches are also increabilly painful things. One idea I had was next time i play flank marching my baneblade and leman russes deep into enemy territory. Force the enemy to divide their troops, while you mop up everything you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.