Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just thought I would throw this up, my step son fought an appoc battle yesterday, he used 3000 points of crons, my son used 3000 pointsa of mech Eldar and they took on 6000 points of marines and armoured company, usd by the store staff, now the game has been lined up for several weeks, and the boys knew about 2 bane blades that the store staff had, but they also turned up with a Hell hammer.

The imperials bid well below anything my step son stood a chance of setting up in (his list has 60 warriors amongst other things, the imperials bid 2 mins and got away with as they had so few models)

So the boys were faced with a horrific ammount of tanks and they would have second turn, my son promptly decided he didnt want to get all his serpents shot down turn 1 before they moved, so the Eldar contingent was deploying from reserve, add to that the scatter dice for deployment zones had been cruel, one end of the line pretty much disected one of the long table edges, giving the necrons about a quater of the board to set up in.

So Typical Necron player, Ross has no super heavies, he is constrained to a quater of the table with two pieces of terrain bisected by no mans land, and only one piece in his zone, he has to deploy his mostly infantry army (one monolith and it started in reserve) and is facing an absurd ammount of fire power, not the lease of which is 2 bane blades, a hell hammer and 4 leman Russ, his opponents were dancing with glee almost (well actually to give them their due they were rather concerned that Ross would get wiped out on Turn 1 or atleast phase out on turn 2 before the Eldar arrived.

This worry anyone? sound familiar? a culmination of events which dont look good!

Final outcome? a win for the boys, 3.5 objectives to 2.5. So I thought the following may be usefull nor the more novice players, how Ross escaped from this death trap?

ok well 2 things made a world of difference, and they are simple and effective:

1. Strategic asset - blind barrage - Ross dropped this right accross no mans land in front of him, a bane balde managed to nudge the end of both its big guns though and do some damage, but the entire imperial gun line could not shoot on turn 1, buying the necrons time, at first glance this appeared to be a bit pointless, simply delaying the inevitable, however:
2. Scarabs with disruption fields - Ross had 12 of these in 3 squads, he has never really managed to get much out of them in normal games, but he pushed these three opposite the imperials best tanks, as little as 12 inches away, turn 1 the few guns that could fire had dropped templates on the warriors, the scarabs now on Necron Turn 1 leap accross the gap and piled into the hell hammer, one of the bane blades and a predetor, net result, none of the template weapons would be firing in turn 2 either, and a dead predator. Turn 2 saw most of the imperial fire shooting up scarabs in an attempt to stop them repeating their trick on turn 3, saving the entire necron army from a sizable kicking and allowing it to advance, largely unhindered, into rapid fire range

Hope that is of use to those cron players about to fight appoc battles

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Sweet. I played three games like that so far (around 7K-10K per side) with mostly IG and Tau/Eldar players. However our group actually deploys 24" into the table (6" wide, 12" long) so there is sooo much space there that any foot infantry gets eaten by the turn 3. Another issue is that our group has a large collection of Forgeworld/Armorcast stuff, so you see at least 5-6 Super Heavies every time, starting with Baneblades, Shadowswords adn ending with Titans (Imperial, Eldar and Tau VDR) so all those (template) strength D weapons do not help...

And Pylon is not really that great to start with... Necron datasheets are also not helping, as Monoliths are easy to down with Destroyer weapons, so the Phalanx is easy to disassemble by taking one of them out. We need the Tomb Stalker (or at least I need it for my group)!!!!!!!

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Yeah, I agree the crons got hosed when someone doled out superheavies, and screw the Tomb Stalker. Someday I think I'll just VDR my own.

@Cheredanine: Nice trick. I always use my scarabs to tie things up to protect my lines. Just goes to show: Some strategies work no matter what the point size!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.