Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings fellow Greenskins! I've perused this section a bit, and I have several questions that I did not see asked somewhere else.

1) What unit size works best for the 'Ardboyz? Do you try to make an elite-ish horde, or do you model the army after someone else? Is 2 units of 25 Big'Uns better than 3 units of 20?

2) Is the Effigy almost a REQUIRED part of any 'Ardboyz list?

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
1) Bigger is better. Big 'uns may be stronger then normal boyz, but they still have the same average leadership, and you don't want to lose a unit to a panic roll, do you. Besides, Big 'uns are still cheap enough that you can have loads of them.

2) Required? No. Damned useful? Yes. For 40 points, you get a free magic banner for all your units and Black Orc characters add to your dispel pool. That's a bloody bargain!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Unit sizes should be pretty much what you would use in a standard list army. 20-30 orcs works well as they can still have a decent combat res even if they get shot up a bit. Also it means having to take more losses before panic tests. I have been working on an ard boyz list and the only thing I am thinking of taking in 20's is black orcs.

I think the effigy is highly recommended, well virtually compulsory. Firstly it looks cool on the battlefield :yes: and your army is more likely to win the cooler it looks, fact :w00t: Secondly the extra dice it can generate for dispel can be vital as you are limited in the number of shamans you can take. Also giving a free magic standard to each unit rocks, so for 40 points I will be taking one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trolls vs 20 orcs?

I have been successfully running an ardboyz list for the last ten battles including two RTT's I am 7/1/2.
I am running an elite list grimgor and 19 bodygaurd plus Borgut and 20 2 hand wpn with the free big uns plus upgrade a bo boss (great axe/ dead ard armor) with 20 biguns 2hand wpns. include rugland entry plus 2extra orcs and a 2nd lvl shamen 2 orc chariots and two chukkas w/bully and a Effigy and that is about it.
it works really well but the frontage is a bit narrow and only a few units
my problems have risen with the sneaky wood elf / fast cav Dogs of war lizardman type skirmishers running around behind my lines and shooting the crap out of me.
I am trying to decide if I wean a few items like 1 BO lose a champion from a unit, remove a dispel scroll drop the 2nd hand wpn from the BO boss unit and make the shamen only 1st lvl I can take 16-20 plain orcs with a banner as an additional unit or three stone trolls.
the three trolls I see setting up in 12 of grimgor and use them to sweep up behind the lines instead of in front, with the fear causing that might help?
thoughts?
this list is pretty magic resistant as it is 6 dispel dice and Grimgor MR(1) and the trolls would be MR(2) and Grimgor is a freak

·
Registered
76 Posts
Killingblow said:
I have been successfully running an ardboyz list for the last ten battles including two RTT's I am 7/1/2.
I am trying to decide if I wean a few items like 1 BO lose a champion from a unit, remove a dispel scroll drop the 2nd hand wpn from the BO boss unit and make the shamen only 1st lvl I can take 16-20 plain orcs with a banner as an additional unit or three stone trolls.
the three trolls I see setting up in 12 of grimgor and use them to sweep up behind the lines instead of in front, with the fear causing that might help?
thoughts?
if this is a ard'boyz lit you can't have trolls.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts