Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My past two games I've gone against Tyranids in a 2 vs 2 match. 2000/team and 3500/team. And both times my Eldar have wiped out a Hive Tyrant and Trygon Prime by or on turn 3 before they were even able to do anything. I usually let my two 5 man squads of Pathfinders shoot at the Hive Tyrant from afar and let Perils of the Warp and failed Psychic tests take care of it. For Primes, A Wave Serpent with 7 Dragons and Farseer with Doom and Guide lay waste quickly by 2nd or 3rd turn.

In my last game, I had two Primes Deep-strike on the end of the 2nd turn right on top of my Eldrad and Pathfinders holding the Loot and Salvage objective for Battle Missions "Pillage." I had a Wave Serpent with Dragons nearby, and Warp Spiders Deep-striking on the 3rd turn. I easily Doomed both Primes, then shot with everything I had. Finished both Primes in my Shooting phase before they could do anything.

Is it usually this easy? The Tyranid troops that have to foot-slog rarely do anything unless they assault a nearby building of my 5 man Pathfinders on turn 4 or 5. I don't see that as much though. And my opponent is by far no noob to WH40K.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Skimmers are really good against Tyranids in general. The fact that ours are fast, carry ok weapons, and come in nice bunches of 6-8 in mech lists doesn't help the matter. I've heard that Hive Guard are good at killing skimmer because they ignore the obscured we get for moving over 18". Also, with more then one Tervigon a Tyranid player can quickly end up with more troops then you can deal with. In games with many objectives I think lots of Guants>some Dire Avengers. Footslogging Eldar will have trouble escaping all those claws and even Mechdar will be hurt by 6 Zoanthropes and a Doom of Maliwhatever in Spore Pods.

Don't worry, your opponent will soon adapt to your tricky ways and start taking your tanks out of the sky. Its a good codex but not one tailored to fighting many skimmers.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skimmers are really good against Tyranids in general. The fact that ours are fast, carry ok weapons, and come in nice bunches of 6-8 in mech lists doesn't help the matter. I've heard that Hive Guard are good at killing skimmer because they ignore the obscured we get for moving over 18". Also, with more then one Tervigon a Tyranid player can quickly end up with more troops then you can deal with. In games with many objectives I think lots of Guants>some Dire Avengers. Footslogging Eldar will have trouble escaping all those claws and even Mechdar will be hurt by 6 Zoanthropes and a Doom of Maliwhatever in Spore Pods.

Don't worry, your opponent will soon adapt to your tricky ways and start taking your tanks out of the sky. Its a good codex but not one tailored to fighting many skimmers.
I see. He had a Tervigon, but it was dealing with my Daemon ally over at our other objective. One of the created units got lucky actually wounded his Bloodthirster. I usually have no problem with Zoanthropes as long as I have a squad of Pathfinders shooting at them from afar. Can usually kill it in one turn since they only have 2 wounds a piece. But yeah, I see the potential havoc they can make.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hive guard, and spore podding zoanthropes can really put a hurting on serpents. mainly because they have a good chance of at least disabling the 1 heavy weapon it has.

Generally the MC are easy to put a mass amount of wounds on because shuriken cannons can come in surplus for the eldar. But dont go charging a carnifex with your seer council, or u might get a squisheddd farseer.

Hive tyrants with wings can be such a pain, and hive tyrants with 2 tyrant guards can be too.

Just like the guy said, your opponent will soon adapt to tricky eldar. lictors and ymgril genestealers can mess up any objective campers, zoanthropes can really mess up wave serpent when they pod behind your tanks, and trygons and raveners can change the course of the game with DS.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hive guard, and spore podding zoanthropes can really put a hurting on serpents. mainly because they have a good chance of at least disabling the 1 heavy weapon it has.

Generally the MC are easy to put a mass amount of wounds on because shuriken cannons can come in surplus for the eldar. But dont go charging a carnifex with your seer council, or u might get a squisheddd farseer.

Hive tyrants with wings can be such a pain, and hive tyrants with 2 tyrant guards can be too.

Just like the guy said, your opponent will soon adapt to tricky eldar. lictors and ymgril genestealers can mess up any objective campers, zoanthropes can really mess up wave serpent when they pod behind your tanks, and trygons and raveners can change the course of the game with DS.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Anything used badly can be taken advantage of by eldar.
Same as most armies. We just have a few specific tools that every viable build holds that make some things that little bit easier.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Eldar have plenty of advantages against Nids. Pathfinders, Wraithguard, and Fire Dragons are perfect for bagging MCs, and the bulk of their anti-tank is in Zoeys which you can nullify, and in MCs in cc which will require 6s to hit (since you should ALWAYS be moving more than 6" each turn against nids. We also have plenty of anti-hoard in the form of Dire Avengers and Striking Scorpions.

However we have plenty of disadvantages to go along with them. Zoeys have a 3+ invul and usually come in pairs. Runes of Warding reduces their likelyhood of success to a 50/50 chance, so odds are one will pass their test, and if they suffer a perils, they have the best capability of anyone of stopping it. This means your opponent won't be afraid to use their powers like demon princes will. Also there's the fact that MCs with dual talons (a common load-out as far as I can tell) re-roll misses which means they are much more likely to roll that 6, and will likely penetrate even if only 1 attack gets through. Shadow of the Warp is very potent psychic defense (not quite as good as RoW but all synapse gets it for free which is annoying), and psychic powers are critical to an Eldar army's success. This is what makes Rune Priests and Synapse creatures so dangerous to us, they shut down the key component of our army. RoW is great for shutting down enemy psykers, but no race needs them as much as we do, so when a Librarian doesnt get his powers off, it's not as big a deal as when a farseer fails to cast fortune.

Like Kris said, we can tailor our lists to deal with just about everything. Unfortunately if things go wrong it can be hard for us to improvise

1 - 7 of 7 Posts