Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
SW: can Fenrisian wolves be used in competitive armies?

ive never used them them but there only weakness is there armor save. keep them in cover when they move. they got move,run(with fleet) and 12" charge, making them get in assault fairly easy.

·
Venerable Member
314 Posts
generally, the smaller the game, the better they perform. this is just my opinion

their numbers are a great strength, and so the overload of bodies could be a big bonus in a smaller game. the larger the game though, the more likely they will get shot to death fast. Their one role in larger games though, seems to be as screens that provide cover for your other units, notably the thunderwolf cavalry. I never tried it but i've heard about it.

i have only ever used them once, and it was a casual 400pt combat patrol. MVPs hands down. i'd venture to say that this 128 pt unit could have beaten the opposing 400 point army single-handedly. The opponent was veteran-heavy imperial guard

·
650 Posts
generally, the smaller the game, the better they perform. this is just my opinion

their numbers are a great strength, and so the overload of bodies could be a big bonus in a smaller game. the larger the game though, the more likely they will get shot to death fast. Their one role in larger games though, seems to be as screens that provide cover for your other units, notably the thunderwolf cavalry. I never tried it but i've heard about it.

i have only ever used them once, and it was a casual 400pt combat patrol. MVPs hands down. i'd venture to say that this 128 pt unit could have beaten the opposing 400 point army single-handedly. The opponent was veteran-heavy imperial guard
They may get shot up faster, but that is also less guns focusing on the rest of your army.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It depends on what you use them for. They pack a decent punch if you can get them to the enemy, but how long should a unit with their save realistically be expected to last in the 40k world? Exactly.

In my opinion, they're meat-shields, and should be used that way. Buy small packs of them to add to your Thunderwolf-riding characters at the very least, and, if you want to go all out, deploy large packs in front of your entire army to soak up bullets. The bonus is that if any survive to get to the enemy, the wolves will definitely cause some casualties before they go down. By that time, you'll be in position to swamp the enemy with the rest of your army.

On the flip side, if the wolves are ignored, then try to keep them that way. They're a decent-strength, high-attack assault unit that will surprise your enemy, as long as you can get them into assault in one piece. Use them to tie up a good shooty unit, or an assault unit that you're rather worry about later. You may even eliminate that unit from the game, which is an added bonus that any player would take.

Wolves would work very well with drop pod armies, and may become a huge help against horde armies like Orks and 'Nids. Being able to place large packs of wolves on the board will clog the lanes of movement for horde armies and allow you the time to maneuver your army into place.

That's my take on them. There are better units in the SW codex, but none better when it comes to meat-shields or underestimated assault troops.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It depends on what you use them for. They pack a decent punch if you can get them to the enemy, but how long should a unit with their save realistically be expected to last in the 40k world? Exactly.

In my opinion, they're meat-shields, and should be used that way. Buy small packs of them to add to your Thunderwolf-riding characters at the very least, and, if you want to go all out, deploy large packs in front of your entire army to soak up bullets. The bonus is that if any survive to get to the enemy, the wolves will definitely cause some casualties before they go down. By that time, you'll be in position to swamp the enemy with the rest of your army.

On the flip side, if the wolves are ignored, then try to keep them that way. They're a decent-strength, high-attack assault unit that will surprise your enemy, as long as you can get them into assault in one piece. Use them to tie up a good shooty unit, or an assault unit that you're rather worry about later. You may even eliminate that unit from the game, which is an added bonus that any player would take.

Wolves would work very well with drop pod armies, and may become a huge help against horde armies like Orks and 'Nids. Being able to place large packs of wolves on the board will clog the lanes of movement for horde armies and allow you the time to maneuver your army into place.

That's my take on them. There are better units in the SW codex, but none better when it comes to meat-shields or underestimated assault troops.
good advice

·
650 Posts
Also like to add that Saga of the Wolfkin is rather cheap to make your wolves attack faster than most troops in the game and will most likely get the charge being beasts. Keep them near the thunderwolf cav if you have them and they get to re-roll failed LD of 7 while getting shot up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts