Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am a Necron player using the lists below, but my two regular gaming partners have started making murmers about Necrons being overpowered and indestructible... Do all Necron players get these comments, or is it my list, or is it that I'm too damn good? :p

Here's the list at 1500pts:

Lord + RO + VOD
Lord + RO + DB + PS + WS

Immortal x 10

Warrior x 10
Warrior x 10

Wraith x 3

Destroyer x 5

Scarab Swarm x 6

The list is adapted from the original one which I changed because I found the Immortals and the Heavy Destroyer too easy to kill off:

Lord + RO + VOD
Lord + RO + DB + PS + WS

Immortal x 5

Flayed One x 6

Warrior x 12
Warrior x 12

Wraith x 3

Destroyer x 3

Scarab Swarm x 6

Heavy Destroyer x 1

My opponents play Tyrannids and Space Marines, and will soon be playing Imperial Guard and Orks (now the new Codex is out).

I'd like to know generally people consider the Necron army as a whole to be fair and balanced rather than beardy and broken.

Cheers
Tony

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
That's a reasonably strong list I suppose, got a mix of some good tactics. But Necrons are not overpowered they're just really tough, I can see nids having mild problems depending on their army build, but SM (as another balanced army) usually don't loose too horribly. Maybe you're just way luckier than them?
Thing about 'crons is they have to either be using tons and tons of attacks, or really strong attacks to take them out efficiently. (this is true of every army but more-so against necrons because of their infamous durability.)

Also this is a "Necron Army Lists" post.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
I dunno about you, but I haven't had any trouble against marines so far. Now I haven't gone against a Lysander wing all terminator army yet, but regular marines are a push-over. Necrons are just a really strong army when played correctly. Far from indestructible, but they can be very tough to beat when you're playing someone who isn't too experienced.

As for the list itself, it's mediocre. Not bad at all, but not a beardy army. You have 3 single units of Necrons that if wiped out have no chance to get up by joining another squad. You're not spamming immortals and/or destroyers. You're not doing a 2-3 monolith "you can't kill me" army. It's a balanced Necron list.

The tyranid player, assuming he has a decent list, should beat that army a lot more than it loses. Marines, eh. Unless they have a drop-podding librarian with fear of the darkness, they are an easy win.

Orks will be a tough fight. Guard will be tough if they have deep striking hardened vet squads with 3 plasma guns and a plasma pistol, plus a command squad or two with four plasma guns deep striking. They can easily drop down and completely kill a squad so it doesn't get back up. Without that, they're not that tough.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Your list is not cheesy. No Lith, no Destroyer spamming. Slap your mates for me eh? I hate it when people call Cheese on Crons just because theyre different, its practically racism! well.. it is :p

Anyway, Crons arent overpowered or Indestructable. Your opponants just need to find a way to play against them they may not be familiar with yet. And when they do find it, then bring out the 3 units of 5 Destroyers ;) See what they make of that...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I hate this sort of thing. Take away phase out and Necrons would be pretty cheesy, but your enemy always wins if he kills 75% of your Necrons. I've lost games when I still had more models on the board than my opponent. In most games I play, I have only a vague idea of what my opponents will bring, while they know reasonably well what I'll have. They know what they need to bring to beat you by going for phase out, as well, and if they don't load up on power weapons, fast moving assault squads, and the like, your Necrons aren't the problem, their tactics are. As far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't be accused of cheese if you're not bringing two Monoliths or 10+ Destroyers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback, it's good to have a some pro-Necron
support. I never thought my list was cheesey (not intentionally so anyway), but I was starting to wornder in the Necron race was just too strong because my mates have been kinda suggesting that... Not in a really bad way or anything, they just get very frustrated when my dudes keep getting back up!

I was just re-reading the Codex and I've newly discovered that the Gauss 6s rule doesn't just work for glancing tough vehicles, but for infantry too.... now it's worth my warriors shooting at the bloody great Carnofex which I've not killed once :) I sense even more Necron love from my mates coming my way at the next session...

I can see nids having mild problems depending on their army build, but SM (as another balanced army) usually don't loose too horribly.

Thing about 'crons is they have to either be using tons and tons of attacks, or really strong attacks to take them out efficiently. (this is true of every army but more-so against necrons because of their infamous durability.)

The 'nids army I face is usually this list (apologies for the lack of definite details, I've never played with 'nids before so this will be quite rough):

Carnifex x 1
Hive Tyrant x 1 + Tyrant Guard
Hormagaunt x loads (one squad)
Genestealer x some (about 10 I think) sometime with a Brood Lord
Warrior x 4 (close combat)
Warrior x 4 (shooty)
Zoanthrope x 3
Biovore x 3

With my newer list I cut the Warriors and 'stealers down with the Immortals' and Destroyers' AP4 guns, and usually just avoid contact with the 'fex and the Tyrant because I have real trouble killing them. I just rely on nailing everything else by pulling back and redeploying so even if the 'gaunts do get me they are severely whittled down when the do. For a while we were using the big template for the Biovore shots which made them very nasty, but we changed that after checking the rules. What do you think of this list as a Necron threat?

The Marines I face are usually this list (again, not much detail as I've never played as Marines... yep, I know...)

Terminator x 8ish with Assault Cannons (are they called that?)
Terminator character with nasty multi-wound-sucking weapon
Assault Marine x 10ish
Assault Chaplain with claws rerolling hits/wounds and yelling a lot
Tactical Marine x 5
Tactical Marine x 6
Devastator Marine x 5 with Rockets and a Razorback with Lascannon
Dreadnought with Flamer and Lascannon
sometimes with a Land Raider or Crusader or Whirlwind or Vindicator or Land Speeders

I find it very easy to smack his vehicles with the VOD Lord taking Warriors or Immortals with him, and I'll always try to either deny the Devastators any Line Of Sight or I'll tie them up with Scarabs. I make sure to single out the Tac squads with everything I can shoot at them so they go down a squad at a time or I won't bother firing at them at all. I also tie these up with Scarabs when I need to. If he wants to charge with the Assualt squad I'll redeploy to make sure he have to charge through a rain of fire on the way in, then either pre-emptive assault with anything, or counter assault with the Lord and Wraiths or the trusty Scarabs. Most worrying is the Terminators which he deep strikes with... I'm glad they don't start on the table because that means I get turn one free of them. Once they arrive I back away constantly and hope the fail a few saves. What do you think of this list a a Necron threat?

Necrons are just a really strong army when played correctly. Far from indestructible, but they can be very tough to beat when you're playing someone who isn't too experienced.

As for the list itself, it's mediocre. Not bad at all, but not a beardy army. You have 3 single units of Necrons that if wiped out have no chance to get up by joining another squad. You're not spamming immortals and/or destroyers. You're not doing a 2-3 monolith "you can't kill me" army. It's a balanced Necron list.

Thanks man, I think it's pretty balanced. I do have a Monolith, and enough Warriors to fill up the bulk of a 1500 force, which I've often thought would be very hard to beat, but I've never used it. If I did I think it would just be for special occasions rather than a proper army, I don't think it would be much fun to play or play against.

I hate it when people call Cheese on Crons just because theyre different, its practically racism! well.. it is :p

Anyway, Crons arent overpowered or Indestructable.

I totally agree! Well, the next time I encounter any Necronism I'll be sure to remember that we are a proud race of killer robots who will not be dragged down by small minded bigots! Besides all that, having people insinuate you're some kind of spoilsport or powergamer just for using your army's standard rules make you feel pretty much like a beardy almost-cheater... NO MORE

I hate this sort of thing. Take away phase out and Necrons would be pretty cheesy, but your enemy always wins if he kills 75% of your Necrons.

Y'know, that's a very good point... no matter what the mission all he has to do is nail x amount of my guys and he wins... no table quarters, no sabotage, no deployement zone invasion to worry about. I don't think my mates have really thought about concentrating on erradication enough.

I was never really able to use wraiths effectively I preffer shooty necrons and a big squad of scarabs is the extent of my CC units.

I love the Wraiths primarily because they are so hard to kill. No matter where they go I take the Warsythe-sporting Res Orb-toting Destroyer Lord with them and they just will not die! That's a 4 unit group of guys with great weapons, great saves, and great invulnerable saves. Once the Scarabs have tied up an area of the board with annoying multi-wound goodness these four dive in and mop up. I love 'em :)

well if necrons where cheese my roommate would complain about the lith I use in 1K games but it's jst a question of good positioning and just lot's of luck that will determin who wins in the End

Definitely, positioning is the cornerstone of my Necron army. I make sure that no-one is out of Res Orb range unless there is a damn good reason (which adds to any luck I might have), and before I place my first deployment I'm always thinking about my lines of fire, where the enemy is likely to be/go, and what my withdrawl routes are. I think I win a lot by setting up in one formation, then from my first turn boosting and teleporting and ducking behind cover enough so that suddenly my opponent has very little to attack and is being shot to bits with everthing I can muster in one small location. For a so-called "implacably advansing phalanx" I think Necrons can be an extremely mobile force with lots of potential for redeployment and tactical retreat.

·
kut maar krachtig
1,323 Posts
well it seems to mee that besides a well balenced list you got your army locked and you just knowwhat to do. this is more valuable then any list. If you can't play it you will always loose. It took me a whil to get crons locked I now succesfully play my 1K lith list against my SM roommate after trying different tecticka and list's. Maybe the Sm and nid player need to rethink their approace before calling cheater.

Good luck with your harvest and Don't let them get you down

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Your list is not overpowered at all. From the perspective of someone who played Necrons and now plays Nids, you're miles and miles from a cheese or power gamer Necron list. Additionally, as a point of reference, the 'Nid list you described - especially considering it employs a CC fex judging by your stay away comments - is not a potent one at all, nor maximized in any real way, so it should not be surprising that your Necron can tackle them.

Yer fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any 'cron player who thinks he's too damn tough needs to fight against an Ork army list consisting of two warbosses and five squads of nobs on bikes.

With Powerklaws.
Lots of Powerklaws.

They also have a painboy, which means they're necrons with strength 8 who can move 24 inches in a turn. Eff you, feel no pain.

Oh yeah, even if they don't take a mekboy and get an invul save, ork bikes always confer a cover save. Even Heavy Destroyers aren't all that great against them, despite their power.

Doubtful anyone feels tough after going up against that rapefest.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
That's definitely a fight where you want an orb, monolith or two, oh... and the Deceiver. Ugh, without that, it's a dumb tough fight. But if you can limit your kill zones properly, you should be able to handle it with a C'Tan and a way to get your more vulnerable squads out of combat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's definitely a fight where you want an orb, monolith or two, oh... and the Deceiver. Ugh, without that, it's a dumb tough fight. But if you can limit your kill zones properly, you should be able to handle it with a C'Tan and a way to get your more vulnerable squads out of combat.
Oh, certainly there are ways to "handle" it.

But the point is that it's pretty ugly, even with proper kill zones. One bad shooting round, and you've got SQUADS of the only orks that really count in a battle against 'crons all up in your metallic grill.

So, overpowered? Not when you're fighting someone who knows your army.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.