Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im prolly starting necrons as ive always liked their models fluff, and in fantasy i love undead. So after a hard battle between picking Nids or necrons i decided for necrons. So just wondering, are they fairly unplayed? Do less people play them than nids for example?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just from my own experience and what I've seen on the boards, yes. They aren't really played all that much, but I have seen about 10 new members in the past week join up. I find them to be very fun, and have a lot of different kinds of army lists. They are even good at cc, if you make a list that works out. (like a wraith wing)

I have 1 necron player (me) and 4 (!) nid players at my club. Well, if you take all the people, then necrons are played 9%. Now there is no way to tell you that there really are only 9% necron players, but that is the way it is where I play.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Necrons aren't a real popular army, but they are still a fair amount of players that play Necrons; my friend being one of them. I think that Tyranids are more popular then Necrons but I could be wrong. This is just from looking around the bordes and in my local area.

Anyway...
Ben

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Necrons aren't that popular, but can be very effective when played right. They are very forgiving and have many powerfull units: Destroyers, Immortals and the Monolith, just being a few.

They are best played shooty, with a Lord or two.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
It seems that no one at my club plays Necrons besides me and one of the staffers and I don't agree with him on a lot of philosophical issues, like having fun with an army vs. making it powerful. I argue that I don't want to take a Monolith and he keeps trying to convince me that I should, for some odd reason... Anyway, many people find the fact that the Necrons are so forgiving of tactical mistakes boring as well as the tedium of painting the models and the low variety of units/wargear choices to take. There's that and the fact that since their army variations are few and far between, it doesn't take long for people to catch on to how to beat them. These are just a few of the reasons but I'm sure there are many more.

Personally, I'm working on another army to use in addition to my Necrons...

·
Registered
656 Posts
-they're fairly unpopular, but more popular than orcs, either inqisition army, any individual marine chapter/ craftworld/ chaos legion, or anything weird like lost and damned, harliquens, or armored company.

-also, a very good army for newbies.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
NiteRabbit said:
It seems that no one at my club plays Necrons besides me and one of the staffers and I don't agree with him on a lot of philosophical issues, like having fun with an army vs. making it powerful. I argue that I don't want to take a Monolith and he keeps trying to convince me that I should, for some odd reason... Anyway, many people find the fact that the Necrons are so forgiving of tactical mistakes boring as well as the tedium of painting the models and the low variety of units/wargear choices to take. There's that and the fact that since their army variations are few and far between, it doesn't take long for people to catch on to how to beat them. These are just a few of the reasons but I'm sure there are many more.
I agree with you, I think playing a competative Necron list would be boring. Your units would be pretty Vanilla.

Correct me if i'm wrong:

Monolith
2 x Squads of 3 Destroyers
Immortals with Lord and Veil of Darkness
2 x Squads of Warriors of 16-17 each.

What else do you need?

·
Registered
214 Posts
If this is your first 40k army, then I strongly suggest 'crons, simply because they are fairly easy to play.
As for popularity purposes go, at my LGS there is one necrons player out of the about 30 regulars!

HPA

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
As said necrons make a good starter army, but when played well they can be sickenly hard, they have lots of abilities other armies dream of.

They are very resilient and have very few (if none) general units (i.e good at everything), they aren't quite as elite than the eldar but sport some amazing units.

At my local GW to my knowledge only me and one other person plays necrons.

Necrons also (IMO) have some of the coolest models and awesome fluff.

·
Registered
777 Posts
For awhile (when crons first came out), just over 50% of the players at my GW store used em'. In my experience, they just get boring to play with after a few months. Their strategy is rather straight forward: Slowly march across the board with a couple lords and monolith (blasting away the enemy with destroyers and tieing them down with scarabs), until you get into rapid fire range and finish the game.

I've seen other armies out there loaded with special units like wraiths, flayed ones, and heavy destroyers, but they just don't seem to do NEARLY as well as armies filled out with warriors and a monolith.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, but as you guys say theyr easy to play and forgiving i have 2 questions.
1: Is it possible to "master" a necron army? Or would one that played them one month be as good as one that played them for 2 years?
2: Are Tyranids less forgiving than necrons?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've Played Necrons long ago, when scarabs exploded and Necron models had the good old "And they shale know no Fear." I was a proud owner of twenty original Necron immortals, and my army's shear weight in pewter could crush a man's ribs if he wasn't careful.

And, with reminiscing aside, no one ever like fighting a Necron army, and have long since curse the day Andy put their rules in the white dwarf long past.

They the kings of Cheese, and rightfully so, who else are you going to have teleport across the table with a bunch of toughness 5 space marines that break down every one without a +3 armour save to their base components?

It's an army that scares and infuriates people, woe to the many opponents of Necrons that have never played against them before. Far to many have I handed over my chapter approved (and now codex), to those disbeliveers of the “Well be back.� That and Necons are terrifying to behold in the shooting phase, as a they are able to gun down things that take three other squads from any other army to accomplish. Twenty S5 AP 4 shots fired with a BS of 4 can murder the toughest Nobs, or Nid warriors, and fifteen S6 AP 4 shots can drag down Greater Demons and Wraith lords.

Its not a matter of popularity, it not a matter of being disliked, it’s a matter of choices. Do you want an army that can tango, has a small amount of models, and make other players ***** like no ones business as they tear out their own hair? Necrons my friend, Necrons till the cows come home and declare thermonuclear war.

P.S. The monolith isn’t worth a mans time, 5 destroyers are better worth the points then that flying box.

Reactions: Neferata

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Piriripak said:
Ok, but as you guys say theyr easy to play and forgiving i have 2 questions.
1: Is it possible to "master" a necron army? Or would one that played them one month be as good as one that played them for 2 years?
2: Are Tyranids less forgiving than necrons?
1:> While I don't believe any army can be "mastered", a Necron army is a quick study, unlike Dark Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks, Etc.

2:> No, Necrons are very forgiving, probably the most. Tyranids used to be less forgiving, but got a great boost in the last 'Dex

·
Registered
777 Posts
Tk-4117 said:
I've Played Necrons long ago, when scarabs exploded and Necron models had the good old "And they shale know no Fear." I was a proud owner of twenty original Necron immortals, and my army's shear weight in pewter could crush a man's ribs if he wasn't careful.

And, with reminiscing aside, no one ever like fighting a Necron army, and have long since curse the day Andy put their rules in the white dwarf long past.

They the kings of Cheese, and rightfully so, who else are you going to have teleport across the table with a bunch of toughness 5 space marines that break down every one without a +3 armour save to their base components?

It's an army that scares and infuriates people, woe to the many opponents of Necrons that have never played against them before. Far to many have I handed over my chapter approved (and now codex), to those disbeliveers of the “Well be back.” That and Necons are terrifying to behold in the shooting phase, as a they are able to gun down things that take three other squads from any other army to accomplish. Twenty S5 AP 4 shots fired with a BS of 4 can murder the toughest Nobs, or Nid warriors, and fifteen S6 AP 4 shots can drag down Greater Demons and Wraith lords.

Its not a matter of popularity, it not a matter of being disliked, it’s a matter of choices. Do you want an army that can tango, has a small amount of models, and make other players ***** like no ones business as they tear out their own hair? Necrons my friend, Necrons till the cows come home and declare thermonuclear war.

P.S. The monolith isn’t worth a mans time, 5 destroyers are better worth the points then that flying box.
Well played good sir. (and welcome to LO). I wasn't going to mention it because I felt it would sound like I was a bad sport, but yes, the crons are the Kings of Cheese, lol.

The strategy you mentioned about teleporting an immortal squad around the battlefield (often refered to as the "flying circus") is DEVASTATING (but then again, so is teleporting a squad of 20 basic warriors around the field). Necrons can unleas a withering hail of fire that can make even space marines run home and cry to mamma!

The only thing I'd disagree with is that the monolith isn't worth it. 5 Destroyers can tear up a lot of the battlefield, no doubt, but the monolith is far scarier to me. With it's ability to allow a squad to, not only transport out of CC, but also to re-roll all failed WBB rolls, you can cause some serious terror. Many a time have I seen a warrior squad get charged by a devastating assault squad, only to have 75% of them get back up, and then rapid fire right into the assault squad that has now been left stranded in the open.

The lith can earn its points back pretty quick. Just my opinion though. Whatever works best for you is what you should do though.

P.S. "why aren't you at your post?" :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aye, im faithfull with crons:D Well i love models, fluff, the fact that theyr like undead of the future and i can imagine a Necron twitching a little saying "We'll be back!..." in a robot voice before falling down even though i doubt they speak that language^^ Thanks for the help guys, they seem cooler than nids. But is one able to be better with necrons or do everyone play them as easy? Or would a veteran own a newbie? Also is it possible theyll get more troop choices and a other hq in the next edition?

·
Registered
410 Posts
A few notes:

Given the Force Org requirements and such, it is considered largely "vanilla" because so much of the required stuff is sucked up in points right away.

- 1 Lord (which will probably have an upgrade or 2 like a Rez orb or Veil)
- 2 Warrior squads of 10
- 1 monolith (It is a good buy)

That's almost half of the points in a 1500 pt aremy and that's the bare minimum.

And given what's left, most often people throw in some kind of Destroyer, and pad their troops more so they don't get phased out.

The Monolith is THE best vehicle out their for its cost, bar none. It will ALWAYS have 14 armor all around (only exception is the Vindicare Assassin's Turbo Penetrator round). Can warp troops around (and can take people out of cc), improved WBB, and a nasty gun that shoots D6 at EVERY unit it's in range to.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've seen many different playing styles for necron, and many people of varying skill using them. The best list I've seen (and played with) is as follows:

1 lord on foot
1 lord on destroyer body
*2 warrior squads with 20 crons in each
1 Destroyer squad with 6 destroyers
1 scarab swarm with 6 bases
1 Monolith

This is between 1500-1850 points, and I have seen it lose twice EVER (and both times were only due to bad rolling)

*i feel that having a fullsize squad for them is a must. Dont forget, if your whole squad is killed in a turn, NO one gets to get back up. Having a fullsize squad makes it VERY tough to kill off the whole unit

The main strategy of this list is to keep the warrior squads marching forward slowly behind the monolith, close to each other and within res orb range of the lord. Meanwhile the lord with destroyer body flies with the destroyers, demoliting targets of oppourtunity (heavy support vehicles and the likes). The scarabs job is to rush forward and tie as many units up in CC while the warriors advance. Once the warriors are in rapid fire range, it's game over.

-----------------

other strategies work, and so do other lists. But it is possible to have an EXCELLENT list and just be a POOR player.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Neferata said:
I've seen many different playing styles for necron, and many people of varying skill using them. The best list I've seen (and played with) is as follows:

1 lord on foot
1 lord on destroyer body
*2 warrior squads with 20 crons in each
1 Destroyer squad with 6 destroyers
1 scarab swarm with 6 bases
1 Monolith

This is between 1500-1850 points, and I have seen it lose twice EVER (and both times were only due to bad rolling)

*i feel that having a fullsize squad for them is a must. Dont forget, if your whole squad is killed in a turn, NO one gets to get back up. Having a fullsize squad makes it VERY tough to kill off the whole unit

The main strategy of this list is to keep the warrior squads marching forward slowly behind the monolith, close to each other and within res orb range of the lord. Meanwhile the lord with destroyer body flies with the destroyers, demoliting targets of oppourtunity (heavy support vehicles and the likes). The scarabs job is to rush forward and tie as many units up in CC while the warriors advance. Once the warriors are in rapid fire range, it's game over.

-----------------

other strategies work, and so do other lists. But it is possible to have an EXCELLENT list and just be a POOR player.
A solid list but FYI for those that don't know. Since the Monolith is a skimmer people can shoot through it to get to your warrs. Likewise though the warrs could shoot through.

The bane of scarabs would be any Str 6 weapon with decent AP (and there are a bunch).

·
Registered
777 Posts
Ah, good point, I actually haven't used that list since 3rd edition. Forgot about the new skimmer rule. Thank you for pointing that out.

As for the scarabs, it is unfortunate if they get blasted (but dont forget thta you can turbo-boost them to make their save invulnerable), but if your opponent spends all turn firing at them, and NOT at something else, then as far as I'm concerned, they've done their part.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I wouldn't really say that Necrons are an unpopular army. I find that they in fact are a very popular army depending on the area that you play in. When I played in Georgia, they were not a big hit. However, when I played in Monterey, California I knew at least four people who played them. Then I moved to San Angelo Texas, and I only ran into one player.

THEN I moved to Korea and literally half of the players here have a Necron army. In fact, we had a tournament once where 50% of the players brought Necrons and the funny thing is that a Ork, KOS army ended up winning. I was officiating the tournament and it was a real pain in the butt to match players up with someone that they hadn't played and make sure that everyone wasn't playing against Necrons all day.

Personal Feelings: I think that out of all of the 40k army lists in the game, Necrons are the most broken. The Monolith is incredibly, ridiculously underpriced for what it does. A Land Raider costs more and is easier to kill, which right away tells me that someone screwed up when they wrote the rules. The "It's the the only tank that they get" excuse is just lame, so don't even bring that one to this discussion.

Second, Necrons get to bypass the whole "you can never reroll a reroll" rule. How? Ok, they fail an armor save and get laid down. Then, at the beginning of the turn they can make a We'll Be Back roll. If they fail this roll, and the player transports that squad through the Monolith, then they get to make the We'll Be Back roll again. That, my friends, is rerolling a reroll and should be banned.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.