Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
this has been going on for awhile now....sigh..

I dont think necrons are cheesy, I just think people dont like a good challange now and then...I do agree with them on some stuff, esspecially about the C'tan, but look at the points, I would never use one....they hate the wbb roll, but it is balanced out by phase out...the guass weaponry is good also...and the major thing i agree with them is that the monolith is underpriced...it IS there only tank...but at least make it cost about 300....

also, I'm not a necron hater, ive got about 1600 points right now and getting probably another 1600 in the future..

-Sephiroth is best-

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
no army is chessy. im not a necron player andi dont feel the necron army is cheesy. i ahve some beef tho. the ctan are just insane. they should have a point limit like only in 3000 point games. how often is a god gonna be walkin around with like a small necron force sent out to kill ppl on planet x.

the monolith is fine cept for 1 reason. WAY TO UNDER PRICED. it is thier onyl tank but it does WAY more then a land raider, like 3X as much beneits then a land raider, but for 20 points less.

they arent cheesy and easily beaten, but there are some stuff i dont like, as is with every army out there. i dont like the fact that basic tau guns are str 5 30" range, but it aint cheesy. i just dont liek it cuz its good. lol.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't think the Monolith isn't underpriced PER SE....... it just seems that way.

Think of it this way......

150 points for SM's is a 10 man squad with no frills.

180 points for necrons is a 10 man squad with no frills.

if you increase the points of a SM vehicle by 150 points, that costs the army 10 bolters.

if you increase the monolith 180 points you cost the necrons 10 gauss flayers, AND take 3 models off of their phase out. (because you round down fractions when determining the 25% pahse out number)

For MOST armies point cost is a simple way to balance a vehicle or upgrade.

For necrons it is not so simple, as the number of models in the list has several ramifications. More points for the monolith means less necrons, and less survivability as a whole, for the WHOLE army.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think they're a good army to start off with. i wouldnt say cheesy exactly but they are really intimidating. the only reason that i would probalby play them is to see the faces of my opponents when my guys wake back up from being killed.

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I totally disagree with Timbo: Necrons are the ultimate in cheese. I'm talkin Monterey Jack with Jalepenos here. My wife kicks my butt with her cron army all the time, and let me tell you, it aint about any tactical skill or anything. Heck, a trained monkey could play that army.... ;)

btw, I'm just kidding. I phase Crons out all the time. You just have to know how to kneecap them good. :D

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Right,
I don't play Necrons
Marines -yes
Eldar - yes
Chaos - yes
SoB - yes
Space Puppies - yes

But not necrons

My son and step son started playing about a year ago, being kids they needed easy armies that they could paint- my step son, at my recomendation, took necrons.

They are quick and easy for him to paint (I spray them black and he dry brushes them boltgun metal)

The army is not overtly complicated, only the lord has any real wargear decisions, no questions about upgrading squad leaders.

Monoliths (I ended up painting his) are potentially over powerful for their points, however, most armies have something like this.

IMHO they are not cheesy, unless I deliberatley bodge up to give him some encouragement, he doesnt beat me, but he enjoys the games, he has capacity to do damage (damn near won a store game of carnage against a bunch of 18YO power gamers)

·
Registered
188 Posts
LordHat, I have to argue against what you said about the monolith ;)
It is underpriced
You said that making a monolith cost more would reduce the amount of warriors taken and reduce the amount of chances of surviving the phase out, but the entire point of a monolith is to be a transport. If there arent enough necrons on the field
People simply won't use it in their army

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hmm, not sure I said that,

but I dont think the Monolith is under priced in terms on how it plays, the particle whip can be devestating, the 14 armour is usefull, the inability of 2dace weapons to take 2 dace is usefull, the teleport stuff is pretty good, but when it boils down to it, my marine army normally has 2 razorbacks and a dread with Twin linked las cannons, the monolith is usually styunned from tuen one and never really does much, this far he has only managed to hit a marine squad once in about 20 games with the ordinance template and the teleport hasnt been used because of stunning and the fact that by the time the monolith is somewhere he wants his warroirs or his warroirs need to get out of somewhere the monolith has been bopped.

On paper it is impressive but in the game it is managable

·
Registered
217 Posts
Originally posted by Uniruler@Nov 5 2003, 05:37
LordHat, I have to argue against what you said about the monolith
He wasn't disagreeing with you Cheredanine, just Lordhat.

I personally think that Necrons Are in no way cheesy.... But I dont believe in cheese so I dont think any army is cheese. :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by Uniruler@Nov 5 2003, 05:37
LordHat, I have to argue against what you said about the monolith ;)
It is underpriced
You said that making a monolith cost more would reduce the amount of warriors taken and reduce the amount of chances of surviving the phase out, but the entire point of a monolith is to be a transport. If there arent enough necrons on the field
People simply won't use it in their army
So what you're REALLY saying is that you don't wanna see monoliths fielded at all.......

But a transport is NOT the entire reason for fielding a monolith. They also need to be fire support platforms. They are the ONLY template weapons the Necron Army has, they only move 6" at a time, AND it's hard to field one and still keep a workable force on the board. Even raising the point cost to 250 points would SEVERLY limit what other choices a necron player would be able to field; remember 10 man warrior units are the MINIMUM size units for our troops choice.

Even at 235 points fielding a monolith is not a decision taken lightly.

PS Cheredanine, the Portal AND the particle whip can still be used even if the the 'Lith is shaken or stunned.......

·
Registered
849 Posts
omg, who said the unholy word stated in this forum? The necrons never were and never will be cheesy!! I mean for goodness sake look at their points cost? Is that cheesy? 18 points for a basic warrior? Is that cheesy? What about the fact that even thou they can come back to life, there are still restrictions on it? Is that cheesy? Well in my opinion, NO THEY ARE NOT CHEESY!!!!! Who ever started that word needs to get a %*%^&% brain check!!! No army in the history of 40k will ever be cheesy! All armies are created equal, and are balanced in power by points cost... grimnar00, glad ur thinking of starting up with Necrons.... Start collecting and show your friends the true meaing of UNCHEEZINESS!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think for three points more than a marine, they got some pretty powerful stuff. maybe too powerfull. for three more points, you get wwb, better leadership and gauss guns. man if space marines do that (like the death company), it would be too strong.

i've seen necrons phased out all the time though. except in large games, the game would usually end (6 turns) before they phase out.

even then, i wouldnt call them cheap........except the monolith and the ctan. tell me somone who can beat the ctan in cc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Avatar of the Bloody Handed god.
I hope youmean with a lot of back up support. A one on one fight between the Avatar and a C'Tan results in one very dead Avatar. Which should work out with the C'Tan costing around three times as much.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.