Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are they a good force I like the new plastics they look awesome AND IF YOU SAY NO DO NOT!! TELL ME TO PLAY SPACE MARINE THEY SUCK

·
Registered
231 Posts
cadians are awesome i think theyre better then the other gaurd armies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Actually, Cadians are ofcourse Cadians - but you're not limited to play them under Cadian doctrines. This is a mistake many newcomers to the IG do, they think the different regiments of the Imperium actually have different abilities and properties - which is pretty much wrong.

I myself use a mix of Cadians (old and new) together with Mordians and play vanilla guard without doctrines.

There's only one army in the IG codex and that is... the Imperial Guard. The rest (like Cadians, Catachans etc) are merely an IG army with doctrines slapped on them. Granted, a few of these pre-made doctrine mixes have more doctrines than a home-grown army would be allowed to have, but that's about it.

There's nothing the Cadians can have which is unique for them, and the same goes for any army - except maybe Catachans in the Catachan codex.

/Phreedh

·
Registered
311 Posts
Phreed: "There's nothing the Cadians can have which is unique for them, and the same goes for any army."

*"A Cadian army of at least 1500 points my be led by Creed" (p.50, IG Codex). No other IG regiment may use Creed.

*Also, a Cadian army can use their 'own' doctrines as given on page 58 of the IG codex. This list of doctrines is unique as it allows the player to use 7 Doctrines rather than 5 to represent their own glorious history. Though you mentioned this already, it is unique to Cadians and therefore noteworthy, as you previously stated that regiments having different abilities was pretty much false. The Cadians apparent ability is to use more Doctrines :)

I believe the distinction we are searching for lies between 'Cadian miniatures' and the 'Cadian regiments'.

We should try to stay on the topic that is 'are the Cadians a good starting point'. I believe that they are a good starting point. Lets try not to confuse the new guy :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
well you are right on creed but you can never ever ever have more then 5 doctines. YEs I understand that in the new codex there are 7 on soem of the other regiments but it states that not all companies have all the same doctines and it is jsut a rule to have only 5 doctines.

But on toipic any army is great to start with as long as you stick to the codex, dont read catachans codex or anything like that. JUst select doctiens you like or in fact dotn pick any. Pick a model you like and stick with it. I love catachans so my army will be a basic IG army with catachan models and some of there doctines.

·
Registered
696 Posts
did you not read what i wrote at all. Any IG army may have them if you wish. If I really liked them I would put then in my catachan army if i really really wanted too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reavered, I never use special characters - had no idea there was a restriction on Creed. I've flipped past that part of both 2nd edt, 3rd edt and the last codex. :)

Anyways, the whole point with my post was "buy the models you like, and pick the list you like - there's no restriction and you're not stuck with anything if you go for Tallarn or Mordian models instead". The Cadian list can ofcourse be used with any uniform.

40k fluff never appealed much to me, so for me it's totally irelevant what models I use together with what rules - as long as it's wysiwyg equipmentwise. Ie, there's no problem to use Mordian models with a Cadian doctrines list. If I'd been a fluffmonger, I'd probably go "weeeell... my army is from a small world colonized by Cadians. They adopted another uniform style, but kept the army composition and doctrines of Cadia." It's a moot point though, as I play doctrine free - with a mix of metal cadians, plastic cadians and mordians. Makes for a rather spiffy looking army if I might say so. :) Doctrines are for suckers! ;)

Finally, regarding the "any models with any rules" statment I made above. I think I need to clarify it a little. I ofcourse do not use eldar models as guardsmen and such tomfoolery... that'd be plain confusing for an opponent. :)

/Phreedh

·
Registered
311 Posts
Youre right of course, there is nothing wrong with substituting models to represent what you need (within reason). For example, my main 40k opponent uses the 2nd edition orks (he has like 100 :( - damn those 2nd edition starter kits) as just about anything he likes besides mega armour Orks! Although, he doesnt use extra marines as a Nob or anything weird like that. The only problem i have with different models is that it doesnt feel right if you are a fluff fan (ME), and Games Workshop staff would burst an organ if you try it in their stores (though i do not play at GW). :eek:

*Remembers that i have been using Last Chancers as Valhallan Guardsmen for a long time*

I think im going to buy some Cadians this weekend :)

It will ruin the all metal Valhallan army i have at the moment, though i am VERY, VERY, VERY short on guardsmen. So i think the sacrifice will have to be made and ill purchase some Cadian guardsmen even if it does make my army look 'weird' :)

lol, thinking about the fluff aspect, i suppose they can be Valhallans who are too hot in their huge coats and fluffy hats (on some more temperate planet), who knows what they wear under those things! :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
cadians are good because they have seven skills and drills but the new ip have five skills and drille to choose from the seven skills and drills;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Reavered@Nov 3 2003, 11:42
I think im going to buy some Cadians this weekend :)

It will ruin the all metal Valhallan army i have at the moment, though i am VERY, VERY, VERY short on guardsmen. So i think the sacrifice will have to be made and ill purchase some Cadian guardsmen even if it does make my army look 'weird' :)

lol, thinking about the fluff aspect, i suppose they can be Valhallans who are too hot in their huge coats and fluffy hats (on some more temperate planet), who knows what they wear under those things! :)
I did the same thing here for my Mordians. Had some metal cadians from earlier on, but in the long run I'll replace all my Cadian squads with mordians and use (all) my Cadians as conscripts. Or a third platoon for larger games or all infantry variants of my army... :)

Besides, the mixing can look pretty good... especially if you use a consistent paint scheme on the two different uniforms and keep them in different platoons.

/Phreedh

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thats a great idea to use the phased out models as conscripts!

They will have a perfect civilian look with their huge coats, and the troopers wearing a 'proper uniform'. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.