Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I have been looking at the legion of the damned in the new sm codex and I am wondering, are they worth taking? Are they useful in games and what upgrades should you run on them if they are worth it. Advice is always welcome

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I can't say I've ever bothered with them really. They seem ok but they don't give you much more offence than that of a Tactical squad. Yeah, they're a lot more durable but they cost a whole lot more too. You'd probably be better served by Sternguard as their ability to drop pod and bring more special weapons to the game makes them more reliable and useful.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I can't say I've ever bothered with them really. They seem ok but they don't give you much more offence than that of a Tactical squad. Yeah, they're a lot more durable but they cost a whole lot more too. You'd probably be better served by Sternguard as their ability to drop pod and bring more special weapons to the game makes them more reliable and useful.
They actually give MUCH more offense than a Tactical Squad due to two keep points, even outside their Deep Strike capabilities:
1. They have Ignores Cover by default, which doesn't seem that great for a squad that can only take a Special and a Heavy until you then realize:
2. They have SaP, and therefore ignore one of the main issues that Tacticals have when kitted for offense: fighting on the move.

That said, it'll depend on how many Bikers and Skimmers you run into that'll determine usefulness. One decent loadout is Multi-Melta/Plasma Cannon, Plasma Gun, and a Combi-Grav.

·
991 Posts
2. They have SaP, and therefore ignore one of the main issues that Tacticals have when kitted for offense: fighting on the move.[\QUOTE] What is SaP?

I think Legion of the Damned are cool, but probably not worth the points. That being said, they are veterans and their invuln save is cool. No unit is COOLER.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
2. They have SaP, and therefore ignore one of the main issues that Tacticals have when kitted for offense: fighting on the move.[\QUOTE] What is SaP?

I think Legion of the Damned are cool, but probably not worth the points. That being said, they are veterans and their invuln save is cool. No unit is COOLER.
They absolutely ARE worth it for the reasons I gave. When you're tackling Scatterbikes or maybe Skimmers or Ravenwing, they'll do what they need to do.

·
991 Posts
Having recently faced Tau with Ghost Keel suits that had a 2+ cover save, I can predict that Flaming Ammunition, which ignores cover, would've been very helpful.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Main downsides I see: no real formation benefits -- they also don't come as an option to any of the good formations. #2 -- not having your firepower on the table turn 1... as much as you're paying for them, i'd take centurion devs every time. Any real upside (cover saves, ignores cover, "relentless") can be gained by either special characters or psychic powers. Oh yeah, and no grav cannons.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts