1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post, so here goes.
I'm a long time Wargames player. I've got various armies, some of which are:
Warhammer Ancient Battles: Samurai, Imperial Roman.
40k: Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard Vostroyans, Tau.
Fantasy: Brettonian, Empire, Chaos.
various other armies from different ruleset (15mm etc).

So, I've never played Dwarves, and also have never (strange, I know) played AGAINST Dwarves, although have always been interested in them. I've recently been offered some 2nd hand figures by someone at my club here in Cape Town, and need your advice. It seems a good deal to me, but what I need to know is can a viable army list be created with the figures? I've not gotten the book yet, as it's included in the deal (it's a all or nothing kind of deal). I've broken the list down as much as I know from reading here and on GW's site into Hero / Common / Special etc, but some might be wrong.

The list:
Thorek Ironbrow
3 Dwarf Characters

10 Thunderers
20 Crossbowmen
20 Warriors

2 Cannons
2 Bolt Throwers
15 Slayers, incl Command
23 Ironbreakers, incl Command

2 Gyrocopter
Flame Cannon
Organ Gun

So, is it worth getting, and is there anything else I should start saving to buy - will only be able to buy in June, as this is going to knock the hobby budget a bit. Only thing I can think of adding is 2 Master Engineers.

If anyone is feeling particularly brave, and wishes to give me a rough army list for 2000pts, it would be GREATLY appreciated. If I do the deal, I'll get the figures some time next week.

Thanks very much

Evan Gotte
Cape Town, South Africa.

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I'm not a dwarf player so I'm limited in the advice that I can give you. From what I hear from my friend (who is quite an experienced dwarf player), master engineers are of significant use only with a grudge thrower. Other than that normal engineers will do. I suppose you'll still need the models though.

I didn't know that they had GW stuff in SA.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Yip, we got quite a strong contingent in Cape Town. I think Johannesburg has probably the strongest. I go to two clubs:
One is solely 40K and Fantasy, got about 20 to 30 active members.
Other is mainly historical. Got about 10 to 15 members. Not too bad, considering. There is also a couple of clubs that are tied into a specific shop.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
You could easily make a 2000point list from those figures with the addition of a box of warriors youve got the option to go in a number of directions. Miners, Longbeards (which you can make from the warriors box) and Hammerers all have their fans and uses, and would all be good additions to what you would have.

Id say go for it if the price is right! Dwarfs are great too :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Exactly.

It is a great start, and as Sir Theobold says, with the addition of another warriors set, should make a fine army, with a few options on the rares to boot.

If you like the price, go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.