Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Thralls are one of the things that make T.S. a good army. They give you the ability to 'machine gun' your psi powers. The one draw back is that they count towards your unit total for the purposes of riding in transports.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Short answer, most people would say yes..

They're very cheap for what they are.. If you burn them up for an extra psychic power, they were worth the points, if they take a wound for the squad, they were also worth the points.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The three most common powers bein' ....

1) Bolt of Change

2) Winds of Chaos

3) Gift of Chaos

And thralls help all three.

With bolt of Change, a thrall essentially makes that power an Assault 2 shooting attack, at a cost of five points. Absolutely worth it.

Winds of Chaos performs like a flamer that allows NO saves. At all. And it always wounds on a 4+ (50% of the time). So, winds of chaos forces lets you lay down a whole 'nuther template of destruction. Imagine being able to flame, hitting models with T4 or greater anyway, then being able to flame everyone who happened to survive. This will kill 2/3 of any given squad (if not more).

Gift of Chaos is a "sniper" kind of a power, which means you can pick and choose which models you want to turn into spawn. Since your selected wizard can only do this once per turn, and he has to roll over enemy toughness for it to work, being able to cast "Gift" twice is great. Say the enemy has T3 ... you go from spawning him 50% of the time to 100% of the time. If you're gunning for an enemy HQ with T4 or T5, this probability increase can be the difference between failure and successfully spawning, say, a space marine chapter master, or even a carnifex.

There's only 1 disadvantage to using thralls ... you can't take a special movement mode (infil or flight). Don't use them for the extra wounds either, it just isn't worth it (IMHO). If you take thralls your HQ should automatically join a squad of Tzeentch marines, and they have plenty of wounds. If you want a CC lord then he should be mobile, so as nice as those extra wounds seem, they will really slow you down.

When I use thralls, I like to drop 1 thrall in a couple different troop squads, with each aspiring champion, and give my aspiring champions Wind of Chaos or Gift of Chaos. Then when the enemy gets into CC (which won't happen for more than a couple of turns, so you only need one or two thralls per champ) your opponent finds out which power you want to cast twice. W

ith eight two-wound Tzeentch marines in front of him, champs with thralls + gift of chaos are very difficult to get to, but they can spawn any model in range. Once an enemy unit has one or two spawns in his ranks, contributing to your assault, it generally loses ... especially if one of those spawns used to be his daemon prince, or something else costly like that.

Sabre

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Yes, it's them (not the dogs) that are the ancient chaos-sorcerer's best friend.

Some argue that the Eye of Tzeentch is as good, seen on the whole game, but only if you are going in a transport I say. Not even then would I avoid taking the one Thrall that would fit in.
The combo Eye/Thralls might be worth it to, that's what I'll try next.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
However, I would never recommend giving Thralls to an IC unless that IC is intended to join another squad. The Thralls take away his IC status, when it comes to shooting (since they count as a unit now and can be targetted normally). It's only worth it on that IC if you put him in another squad, so he and his Thralls can't get shot up quite as easily.

Sabrewulf said relatively the same thing, but it is a very important concept. Thralls could get your semi-expensive HQ killed quite easily if you don't join him to another squad.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Uless im mistaken I believe there are some strategies to using thrall wizards on the Thousand Sons tactica article. By lord of change

·
Registered
199 Posts
On a related topic, can the eye of tzeentch re-roll be combined with gift of chaos? i suspect not but if it could that combo with thralls would be far too tasty to leave at home.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Lost Nemesis said:
It states in the codex that you can only re-roll an armour save, to hit roll, or to wound roll. Gift of Chaos is none of these. So, short answer, nope.
It's not roll to hit?

-Centum

·
Registered
886 Posts
Gift of chaos is not a hit roll, it's simply a roll to determine wether it works or not based on toughness.
The Eye is most commenly used in conjunction with bolt of change, making sure that it hits reliably, and to avoid the odd roll of 1 that causes something to get away from a hit unwounded. It really isn't worth it for the other two most commen powers mentioned by saberwolf. . .well maby for wind of chaos to reroll one of the wounds, but I don't think so.

personally I prefer thralls, but sometimes they just are not practical.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nah, it says "instead of shooting" ...

Another indicator that it isn't allowed ... that combo would be too good. Say you were trying to spawn a Chapter Master (Toughness 4). With no thrall sacrifice, you have a 1/3 chance. With a thrall sacrifice, you have about a 2/3 chance. With one re-roll you have ... well, mathematically a 100% chance of spawning that dude. 3 rolls, with a 1/3 chance each roll. Statistically, you would spawn that 160 point marine HQ every time. Just not fair.

Sabre

1 - 13 of 13 Posts