Librarium Online Forums banner

What do you think of Trygons in 6th?

• I would take them without hesitation, just as good as always.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I would probably take them, just not all the time.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I don't think I would take them, maybe on an occasional basis.

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I would never take them, they are simply not worth it.

Votes: 2 7.7%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all.

Guns are the way to go for 6th. Tyrannofexes are almost compulsory, Dakkafexes have become better, heck even Biovores have their worth. With Fleet getting partially nerfed and more concentration on shooting, have our big babies become obsolete? Are they worth it?

They are best used in pairs as a pincer. Are heavy support slots now too precious to use this risky tactic?

I'll be interested to see what the forum thinks:

Post away!

The Warlord
:terror:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm. This is going to be a touchy subject. But I personally think the Trygons are just as good as before. With new cover rules it will be much much easier to get them a cover save and, without the prime upgrade, rage is a great thing! Plus even without the run move on average you will still have the same range on an assault. Plus you can shoot before going in. I plan on running, what I am deeming, a "rage" list. Getting a turn two assault with two squads of raging little bugs, as well as some raveners and two trygons. Did a playtest of this list the other day and ruined a space wolf/blood angel players day. Also flyers don't stand a chance to an iron arm flyrants sweep attacks!

All in all I plan on keeping my two trygons, and using them to full effect! I mean who doesn't love 8 str 6 attacks with reroll hit and wounds?

Quixos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I chose the second option. I like Trygons, if not for their huge number of high strength anti-armour attacks, then simply for their model. It's just so menacing and intimidating, and has been a joy to paint.

I almost always have dual Trygons using the strategy that the OP mentioned, and although I think they have been buffed and de-buffed in various ways, it is still a model I'm going to field regularly.

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Trygons are still very good. If they go instinctive they will get eight attacks when they assault or four attacks at strength ten with smash. The Prime has it's uses too. It's ranged ability is short ranged but it gets loads of shots which will make it good at dealing with any flyers that get too close. Use the Hive Tyrant's old adversary with this and it will get loads of rerolls making it all the better at hitting those bothersome flies.

Do also remember the Tyrgon's hole, the hole it leaves when it burrows up from the ground that is. Using the strategic traits for a warlord and the Hive commander ability and there is a possiblity of controling when and where our reserves show up. We must not forget that the Trygons is awesome in assault. As stated above this edition at first glance (I'm still undecided on this) appears to be very shooty. This will mean that enemies that used to invest in powerful assault units may not anymore. This means if a Trygon gets into their lines it will have free reign to wreak havoc more than it has before. Also fleet isn't as good as before but the improved charge range and the reroll fleet provides for that makes up for it.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Play a Hammer and Anvil deployment and then tell me how good an assault army is in 6e. That's an auto-lose for such an army 1 out of every 3 games you'll play.

I have my Trygons, too. Loved the models, loved painting them. They're stuck on the shelf for the forseeable future. Can't afford to NOT bring guns to the table. A Trygon is just not a quality shooting unit. Dakkafexes and Tyrannofexes beat out Trygons every time. They were better in 5e, too. Now the new edition has cemented that for good. One can only hope a new codex will come out to ease the pain.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I voted on occassional use. As occasional as, say, apocalypse. I always take them in the special formation in apocalypse as they can pretty much take out anything then.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I say no, mawloc are better for points worth, but only because of thier terror from the deep rule. For 200 points, i would rather invest in another tyrant with wings for some extra 30 points or possibly a harpy.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did not use them often before, and I wont use them often now. I have written up a fast-strike list with two in, but I do substitute most of my shooting power for cc. Not yet been able to test it.

I think they are as good/bad as before, none of the changes have really affected them. except perhaps for rage, but I usually took primes anyway. I preffered to spend 200pts on a tervigon or toward a t-fex

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest, if it were between a line Mawloc and a lone Trygon, I think I'd opt for a lone Mawloc. If I had the option to have two Trygons instead of two Mawlocs, I'd take the Trygons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Hmm. This is going to be a touchy subject. But I personally think the Trygons are just as good as before. With new cover rules it will be much much easier to get them a cover save and, without the prime upgrade, rage is a great thing! Plus even without the run move on average you will still have the same range on an assault. Plus you can shoot before going in. I plan on running, what I am deeming, a "rage" list. Getting a turn two assault with two squads of raging little bugs, as well as some raveners and two trygons. Did a playtest of this list the other day and ruined a space wolf/blood angel players day. Also flyers don't stand a chance to an iron arm flyrants sweep attacks!

All in all I plan on keeping my two trygons, and using them to full effect! I mean who doesn't love 8 str 6 attacks with reroll hit and wounds?

Quixos."

Flyrants can't use Iron arm str buffs for vector strike. Says un-modified str stat for the vector strike if that's what you are talking about. =(

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would recommend a Mawlock in every game just in case you get the scenario that makes heavies scoring units. You basically have a guaranteed way to hold something that might catch a few people off guard. It can also secure you a few extra points by having it pop up in your opponent's deployment at t end of the game and/or deny something.

·
Registered
144 Posts
tbh i dont really think trygons are that much different overall. you loose 2d6 str vs veichels, but get str 10 though fewer attacks(averages about the same) you gain fear, hammer but loose furious i buff, poison is better but fleet worse. i dont see much diffference over all. cept when you get charged and you prime gets to over watch with 12 shots...

G

·
As someone said, due to the TftD rule a Mawloc in theory (at least till they FAQ it) can knock a flyer out of the sky.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As someone said, due to the TftD rule a Mawloc in theory (at least till they FAQ it) can knock a flyer out of the sky.
If I remember correctly if the mawlock deep strikes onto enemy units, you use the large blast to determine hits, fliers can't be affected by large blasts.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shinitai said:
If I remember correctly if the mawlock deep strikes onto enemy units, you use the large blast to determine hits, fliers can't be affected by large blasts.
If I remember correctly, I believe we've already had this discussion. It's in one of these threads.

G

·
Ah but in the FAQ it says 'marker', wholly different. I'd have to read that and my codex together and don't have the dex to hand right now. But I'm pretty sure that means it's not classed as a blast....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm going to assume you weren't going for snarky Warlord Vrrmik, I just couldn't find my dex when I posted, and I've missed or forgotten the discussion, sorry about beating a dead horse.

But since it apparently isn't classed as a large blast then I've got no problems with it.
It counjours up a rather nice image too, low altitude flyer suddenly grabbed by a monster from the deep.

·
Shire can't handle me
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shinitai said:
I'm going to assume you weren't going for snarky Warlord Vrrmik, I just couldn't find my dex when I posted, and I've missed or forgotten the discussion, sorry about beating a dead horse.

But since it apparently isn't classed as a large blast then I've got no problems with it.
It counjours up a rather nice image too, low altitude flyer suddenly grabbed by a monster from the deep.
Yeah mate sorry if that sounded a bit harsh

1 - 20 of 25 Posts