Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Frankly you can paint them purple and yellow stripes and give em frilly shoulder pads if you like, as long as your opponent is aware that you have used a BA army list and he can distinguish Death company for example, there is no problem, in a tourney you woul dbe expected to provide an element of fluff to support this 'Laurence Luellyn Bowen' colour scheme but that should not be difficult

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
You can paint them any colour but then they won't be BAs. BAs are red and only red (except Death Company), but you could paint them how you like and say that they're a BA successor chapter ie uses BAs rules.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well personally i would paint them red, but then you have to think about Librarians, as they are always blue. Your army would look like a librarian army... but if its what you wanna do i say go for it, be creative and make up some fluff as to why they are blue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, but when people mean fluff, they mean stories, not extra rules.

Just say, <enterChapterHere> is a BA Successor Chapter, and use BA rules. Then you can paint em however you want....*****, you could use high elves models, as long as you stick within the Codex : Blood Angel rules.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've always wondered about that... but there is only one instance where paint color takes effect in the game. Ork Wartrukks painted red go an extra 1"- the "Red Ones go Fasta" rule. Other than that, anything goes.

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
Why the heck would you want to pain BAs blue????

I mean that would be like painting White Cosuls brown or Black Templars yellow!

Of course you can paint them any way you like but I don't see the point... If you want to make it stick you could say that they are a Blood Angels successor chapter like the Blood Drinkers and Flesh Tearers and use the BA rules.

IMO that would be cooler...

People always say that you can paint the minis any way you like, and you can, but IMO the fluff is a part of the game as well as the rules and should be repected...

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
I have definitely decided to paint my Space Wolf army a color other than the ugly ugly grey's that GW provides. I might not even paint them grey at all. Since they all have wolf pelts on them, I'll just paint THOSE grey and If they complain at the tourney, then I'll show them that I've stuck to the letter of the law by putting grey on my Space Wolf models. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would say not to be honest. That is there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't paint your marines any colour you like but the allowance for doing that is that the fluff says there are over 1000 marine chapters and within that you can probably cover alomst any colour scheme really.

The defined chapters are special cases really (almost like special characters within an army) I believe that as you get special rules and special allowances when using them you just have to deal with the fact that there are also special restrictions involved too - Imagine if an army had two rules attached to them one makes the army good but the other pulls that advantage back a bit, then imagine if you told your opponent in MY army we use the good rule but not the bad rule that's okay isn't it?

Now before you start saying I am getting my bullet points mixed up here I am not. This is one of those things you look at when you are choosing an army and certainly BEFORE you exchange coin for lead. To make an example I like the fluff and the rules to the Emperor's Children CSM but I hate all of the pastel colours that you in all honesty really do have to use to a greater or lesser extent if you want to collect them - consequence EC CSM are out of the window as a collectible army for me. Same with Thousand Sons - good rules, good paint scheme, poor figures. Ultramarines, nice range of options, nice colour scheme, revolting fluff.

The final analysis says that Space Marines are proud of their traditions and further fluff says that wearing camoflage on your armour into battle is practically a crime so you will get people you come up against - in tourneys too if I remember them correctly and they haven't changed saying "but they aren't SW grey or they aren't red, no, I'm not having that, you have to use standard SM rules for them as they aren't Spacwolves or Bloodangels as far as I'm concerned -Ref!"

It just sounds as if you all are deeper into your colour schemes than your fluff in which case there is no reason you can't just say that your chapters are nth founding chapters who look like Bloodangels and Spacewolves but aren't - maybe a tribute chapter.

Then again you could just cherry pick the best bits from each chapter and make up your own colour schemes but you might (and eventually will) end up having your wings clipped if you come up against more serious players - you could even lose places on the ladder if your opponent can convince the ref you have an illegal army - depends on how seriously you and other people take things.

I'd go with the creation of a new chapter to be honest, it shows original and independent thought and keeps friction down to a minimum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No

You Can't

You can give them a made up chapter's shoulder pad and paint them blue.

But no, blood angels are never blue unless it's a librarian, or the helmet of a devastator squad member.

Feel free to invent your own chapter of course, it just can't be "Blood Angels"

·
Registered
222 Posts
i think the space wolves would also look good in either white/grey, maybe black or maybe brown. i've personally never seen blue wolves in real life but i think the space wolves colors are pretty cool. i would also really like to see some scorched brown marines.

i really liked that blazing orange chaos marine in the chaos codex. i can't really see them as nurgle marines though but i really like that color. what should i do? (what should i do fluffwise also?)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I know someone who is planning to paint his new DA army black and red. As you might guess, I am trying desperately to dissuade him from this foolhardy course of action, but so far unsuccessfully. I warn you that a strong negative reaction is to be expected if you go ahead and mangle tradition by painting your Blood Angels blue. But, knowing you, uniruler, you probably just started this thread to increase your postcount.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey, Deciever, I think I think I convinced him to pant them Black/DA Green. But even if he didn't want to, that's ok. Your army is an expression of your creativity. I think, though, that some players will frown on and even not play with you if your BAs are blue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know someone who is planning to paint his new DA army black and red. As you might guess, I am trying desperately to dissuade him from this foolhardy course of action, but so far unsuccessfully. I warn you that a strong negative reaction is to be expected if you go ahead and mangle tradition by painting your Blood Angels blue. But, knowing you, uniruler, you probably just started this thread to increase your postcount.

Blue was an example...
I actually thought of painting my blood angels gold and white
The reason I started this thread is because I like the rules for blood angels and Idon't like red

You don't know me, Deceiver

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.