Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been working on a set of rules for small engagements which emphasize tactical movement, an organic timing system, and believable rules for the resolution of attacks. I'm just about done with the basic rules, and, so far, I've gone with a UT-esque theme: teams of characters competing in matches that essentially amount to sporting events--where the sport is killing each other.

There's still work to be done. I need rules for scenarios, and rules for assembling teams, building characters, and giving them equipment. But, I'm interested to know, in the meantime, what you guys think of the core mechanics. To that end, I have uploaded them as a Google document, and they are available here.

As I continue to develop the rules, I'd like to create rules for assembling kill teams for the various 40k factions, and I'd like to create kill-team appropriate scenarios. Kill team was a cool idea, but it just was not well-executed at all, and I think 40k deserves some cool rules for this sort of small-scale skirmish.

If you have time to look this over, I'd really appreciate your thoughts and input, as well as any ideas about the direction in which the game should be expanded.

Arena.

Thanks!

Reactions: Red Archer

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
Hey Left of West,

great effort designing such a game! (Rep awarded.)

I've read through the rules and thought about different situations, but no major holes struck my mind. The system seems to be very valid! I especially like the initiative determination, it is a cute idea. The rules are a little complex for beginners, though, and I imagine total chaos when the entirety of both teams' characters' action tokens are spent on the reaction (like somebody dashing), counter-reactions (where one character again dashes), counter-counter-reactions and so on, to a single action taken. Sounds like hell of fun!

What I am not so fond of is the reserves system, specifically that killed characters can respawn fully healed after they have outwaited their timer tokens. It seems unfitting for the world of Warhammer 40.000 and kill team scenarios. You should consider either changing the background of your game from 40k kill teams to something else, or changing the respawn rules, in my opinion. Apart from that I would very much like to see the stats of some characters and equipment in order to further be able to evaluate the rules. (So that I can judge whether the game is too deadly, killing off characters very very quickly, etc.)

Continue on course and keep me posted on any updates. Good luck, mate!
Red

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! To address the two things you brought up:

Chain dashing is one of the things I am concerned about, and I'm not positive that allowing a dash as a reaction to a dash is a good call. The only thing, I think, that might keep it reasonable is the fact that once you've dashed, you get that dashed token and your options for further reactions are drastically reduced. It might have to be taken out.

The respawn mechanic is also something I'm unsure about. When I started writing the game, I decided I would do a different fluff--something along the lines of Unreal Tournament, a game which I appreciate because it's one of the few multi-player games with fluff that actually justifies what you're doing. Frankly, I think that, in terms of verisimilitude (by which I mean the tendency of the fluff to make the actual games you play believable) UT wins over virtually everything, including (by a long shot) 40k.

I was also worried about games ending too quickly to annihilation.

So, I wrote a respawn system.

But, you're right, it's not appropriate for a 40k themed game at all, and probably wouldn't be used.

I'll write up some stats and let you know!

edit:
I'd give you some rep for your input, but it's still telling me that I have to give more rep to other people, first. So, I'll rep you when I can. =/

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Well executed game system. It seems like a mix between CAV, and 2Ed 40k. I like it quite alot, and I've written a few skirmish games myself.

I think that the next logical step would be to get some characters written up, or a method for transferring 40k stats into Arena stats (a chart or formula perhaps).

After that, a few playtests to make sure that the game is water-tight, and then you're golden. Of course, you could always try to expand this game to replace 40k. Going from the idea of a skirmish game to a more squad-oriented battle.

I like the idea of the reactions, even the dash reactions. It will make a Dash seem like one of those epic, game altering moments. Very cool.

·
resident iconoclast
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reading, Capt. Sarathai! I appreciate your input, and I'm glad you like it.

I'm in the middle of writing up the equipment rules, and some rules for Space Marine teams. I'll let you guys know when they're done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts