Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
(Un)Official LO Map Maker
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few more people coming to my playing group in the next few days. And they all play 40k. So, I'm up against tau, marines, chaos marines, guard, tyranids, orks and a couple of others that I can't remember. Probs just more marines.

So then I was thinking, what armies are we good at playing against?

And of course, what armies do we struggle against?

Also, the TYPE of armies. Which are we good at (horde, mechanised, gunline, fast, etc)?

Thanks guys. This would be a good list for beginners if they're worried about this kind of stuff.

·
3,395 Posts
So then I was thinking, what armies are we good at playing against?

And of course, what armies do we struggle against?

Also, the TYPE of armies. Which are we good at (horde, mechanised, gunline, fast, etc)?
1) Sisters are decent at all-comers lists, anti-horde and anti-armour without really making list sacrifices. This makes sisters stronger in a 'tourney' setting where players are locked to one list

2) Gunline guard i'd imagine (local guard player isn't very good)

3) Sisters are strongest mechanised. They are a little soft and light on CC for horde (unless playing radical), don't have the range for gunline, and don't have anything particularly fast.
They are generally best when used in an aggressive way.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Because of Faith, sisters can really shoot down anything. What are marines going to do against a flamer/melta and 16 bolter shots that all have the chance to become AP 1? Nothing really. We have plenty of melta to kill crisis suits, plenty of flamers to kill Orks, IG is always a tough nut to crack but we can do it, Nids get eaten alive by flamers and Fexes get mowed down by AP1 bolter fire.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I find it really depends on the build of the army you're facing, and how you're able to use the tools the WH codex gives you to work with. All armies can be a pain to play against.

Forces that can reliably take out 5-6 transports at range are tough nuts to crack. They can usually kill your troops at range too. Those armies usually lack in mobility though.
Forces with a lot of melta can be a problem. Esp. FAST melta.
Hordes with a lot of S4 or S5 rending attacks can be a pain.

I'd say IG and Dark Eldar have to most potential to cause my Mech WH lists problems. Many armies have problems with the Multiple small units builds the WH can put out.

that said, WH aren't easy to learn to use. They do take a lot of practice, and aren't always real forgiving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My cousin plays tau and I just got wiped last weekend. 3 hammerheads and 3 broadsides wiped my exorcists and immolators, kroot hounds are unbelievably cheap and beat anything you have on toughness and initiative. I was hypothesizing that because of their low leadership, I would best be served with some holy promethium and inquisitor powers to scare his hounds off, crisis suits have low Ld as well. Force morale tests on suits. Play aggressive with hammerheads and broadsides, but I still haven't found a sure-fire strategy against tau.

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
My cousin plays tau and I just got wiped last weekend. 3 hammerheads and 3 broadsides wiped my exorcists and immolators, kroot hounds are unbelievably cheap and beat anything you have on toughness and initiative. I was hypothesizing that because of their low leadership, I would best be served with some holy promethium and inquisitor powers to scare his hounds off, crisis suits have low Ld as well. Force morale tests on suits. Play aggressive with hammerheads and broadsides, but I still haven't found a sure-fire strategy against tau.
That's 4 heavy support so his list is illegal. and Kroot hounds are only T4. Crisis Suits = Ld8. Kroot = Ld7 without a shaper, you can usually tank shock them into falling back.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Historically necrons have been a very difficult matchup for SoB - most of our strengths don't mean much against them (oh noes AP1 bolters) and they have plenty of weapons that will smush anything that fails a save.

However - as said - DE and IG are the kings for messing up pure SoB, there is virtually no way to take both armies on head first and both pack the required firepower (and in DE's case CC as well) to delivering army crippling attacks very, very early.

Tau are actually a very easy matchup - they can make mincemeat of excorcists but they will struggle to deal with 30+ battle sisters - faith coupled with a 3+ save means only crisis will do anything and those are always one of the first things any player needs to destroy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2 hammerheads... bad typing. 5 railguns total, penetrating Immolators and rhinos with 83% certainty, and exorcists 50%. Exorcists only have a 16% chance to penetrate, and then there's the cover save from disruptor pods. In my last game against Tau, I failed to penetrate one hammerhead and the other cover saved. He then destroyed all of my Immolators in the first turn.

Kroot hounds have higher Toughness and Initiative than Sisters. And since they come with 10 kroots attached, you got alot of killing to do before you even get to the hounds. Tank shock, Holy Promethium, and Divine Pronouncement, try not to even fight them.

Suits will take a morale test after one dies.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
~shrug~ I don't feel the need to use transports for my battle sisters...I'd rather just take more sisters for the points. If I run them on turn one, they're going to be shooting as many inches as they rolled for the run (so an average of 3.5) into the enemy deployment zone on turn two...with a 3+ save, they can soak up a little gunline lovin, especially since when they get there, they won't be allowing armor saves, and any enemy in cover is going to be bunched up nicely for some flamey death. Even if it takes me two turns of running to get in range of a gunline lined up against the back edge, putting 30+ rapid-firing bolters in range on turn three is game over. If I take the transports and they get popped after one turn of movement, I've paid big points for half a D6 of movement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just played Orks today and tore them to shreds. Lots of flames. I lost 3 Celestians, 1 Immolator and 1 Penitent Engine against dozens of his Nobs, Boyz and his Boss (May they rest in peez.) I flanked with my Exorcist, which made quick work of his trukk's side armor.

Even had less trouble in CC (after I flamed and bolted them) than with Kroot Hounds since Orks have the same Initiative as Sisters, and less than Celestians. I didn't have to maneuver anything, it was almost too easy. He played aggressive CC, I just wailed on him coming in and cleaned up in CC. Power armor saved about 10 wounds for me today.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Orks are strange, the more they mech up the easier they become to deal with primarily due to low squad size (12 orks are easy to kill) but huge mobs are inflexible yet are surprisingly resilient to bolter fire - getting close enough to use flamers is a high risk and high reward move. Get it right and you'll roast 30 boyz, get it wrong and you'll take a charge you will lose.

In my experience it is the shooting ork armies that are most dangerous - they pack tons of rhino killing fire and force you to move first to get those bolters racking up kills - a 20-30 strong shoota mob puts out a metric ton of dakka and with loota or flash gitz (yeah yeah I know the internet hates flash gitz) support they will tear through a sister unit that jumped out of a burning rhino.

Either way there will be huge kill count.

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
~shrug~ I don't feel the need to use transports for my battle sisters...I'd rather just take more sisters for the points. If I run them on turn one, they're going to be shooting as many inches as they rolled for the run (so an average of 3.5) into the enemy deployment zone on turn two...with a 3+ save, they can soak up a little gunline lovin, especially since when they get there, they won't be allowing armor saves, and any enemy in cover is going to be bunched up nicely for some flamey death. Even if it takes me two turns of running to get in range of a gunline lined up against the back edge, putting 30+ rapid-firing bolters in range on turn three is game over. If I take the transports and they get popped after one turn of movement, I've paid big points for half a D6 of movement.
What do you against highly mobile armies?

Seer councils and terminators in land raiders are going to eat your girls alive. Not because they are stronger than you, but because they have the mobility to work on your weak areas. That is the power of mech. You are paying for the mobility.

Eldar with a big council is a great example. He is going to stand off and pound part of your line with templates from the fire prisms to weed you out a bit. Then he is going to assualt with the council. If it is a full council that is 30+ attacks hitting you on 2's and wounding you on 2's. Probably with a reroll. Good luck making all of those saves. You'll make it 2 maybe 3 turns.

Its the ability to choose where to strike that makes mech soo much better. That, and the damage table really is a 4+ invul save for all of your tanks. That is not including smoke or some other cover that you might get.

Lets not forget either than you are only getting 4 more sisters for the cost of a basic rhino.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alternately. What do you have against footslog sisters? Look at both sides, I know you swear by mech (you were the one who convinced me to go mech) and so do I. However, I have won a fair few games walking (well, it was standing still really. Woot for retributors and exorcist combo!)

Not every army is going to have those, especially not in the same number of sister squads a footslog army is going to have. Solution to all is exorcist.

Have you ever tried footslogging? And I mean quite a few times.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Footslogging sisters struggle simply because it robs them of 99% of their strengths when you factor in how faith works and squad loadouts (i.e the special and heavy weapons available).

·
Destroyer of Worlds
346 Posts
Alternately. What do you have against footslog sisters? Look at both sides, I know you swear by mech (you were the one who convinced me to go mech) and so do I. However, I have won a fair few games walking (well, it was standing still really. Woot for retributors and exorcist combo!)

Not every army is going to have those, especially not in the same number of sister squads a footslog army is going to have. Solution to all is exorcist.

Have you ever tried footslogging? And I mean quite a few times.

No. I haven't/don't walk in anything except battles below 1000 points.

And I am touched I have helped (hopefully) your game.

·
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, just checking.

It has helped, but I play both styles occassionally, just for some tactical variety. I win with mech more, and I see the benefits that it holds, but I respect walking at the same time. I find it can be ignored a little on the forums, I know Inquisitor K does it but other than that there aren't many doing it. Which kind of bothers me, that we're stuck with one accepted tactic.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In my brief time playing this game, I have suffered nothing but tragedy using mech. I'm not disagreeing with its usefulness as a tactic, it's just that I have only wasted points taking rhinos or immos so far.

·
307 Posts
I have been wiped playing against tank-heavy Guard and Ravenwing. The massed tanks just sat there and lobbed firepower at me, while most of my force's firepower went to waste. Hellhounds and sentinels took me down when I got close. With the Ravenwing they zipped back and forth, rushing up and obliterating units before they could fire back, and staying just out of my range. Bloody frustrating opponents.

Tau, Eldar and Dark Eldar are hard to catch, but fold easily if you can get to them. Their defences are worthless against sisters firepower.

Necrons are perennially tough. Assault plays a larger part than usual I find, as Necs are actually a bit crap at it, and my Canoness and Seraphim can take them. Arco-flags, zealots and even PE's can do well. If the Nec player is dumb enough to use his monolith for deepstriking I win easily. Under no circumstances should any army ever deepstrike against sisters.

Marines I have beaten in many configurations, both Imp and Chaos. All-terminator, massed devastators, Thousand Sons, BT nutters, space pups, I can beat any of them. The result depends mostly on how many errors my opponent makes. A lot of players I find have no real idea what sisters can do, and tend to just rush at me, or try and sit back. Either tactic plays into my hands, as I favour refused flanks, ambushes and counterattacks for tactics. Well-handled marines are a very tough nut however.

With Tyranids it is really a question of how many of the buggers I can kill before they can get into close assault. Like marines I can wipe a poorly handled army, but a good player can give me a very hard time.

Orks are an inherently weak army, they never give me any trouble.

Really I would say that it mostly comes down to the opposing player, rather than the army (except for orks, they just never stand a chance). I always keep my forces concentrated, while looking for isolated parts of my opponent's force to overwhelm. Sisters are all about the mass attack wiping out the enemy, as we cannot easily withstand counterattacks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts