Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking around in the guard codex and I'm planning to get 2 Regular Leman Russ battle tanks for my army and I was just trying to figure out what side sponsors to arm them with when I was told that side sponsors are a waste of points. I was planning to have both regular Leman Russ battle tanks armed with a hull mounted Hvy. Flamers besides the battle cannon and I was wondering if anyone else had any experience in fielding them like this or are side sponsors worth it?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Well sponsons aren't a waste of points. Sometimes they're not useful, like in a Mechanised army when you want to be on the move constantly. In a Gunline list or a Hybrid list where they'll be holding back then take some sponsons.

-H-Bolter sponsons match the Russ pretty well as it's primarily an Infantry killer. They're not overly expensive either however 20pts is alot in a Guard army.
-M-Melta Sponsons are a bit eh on a Sit back and shoot Russ so i wouldn't bother. They're alot of points for a Bs3 Melta shot.
-Plasma Sponsons are alright, expensive but the range compliments the Battle Cannon. Plus 2 Extra low AP Blast compliments the Battle Cannon. Obviously the Battle cannon can do squat against 2+save stuff but against Marines the tank becomes quite nasty.
-Heavy Flamer Sponsons. Just don't bother. A complete and utter waste of points if ever there was one. (Number 1 on Boraks useless equipment list. Even before PCS Flag)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I plan to run a mechanized army list so I guess side sponsors won't be needed then. But I heard that hvy. flamers are effective because your going to be moving around a lot and there pretty useful if the enemies get to close. So in other words there not worth getting?

·
2,399 Posts
-Heavy Flamer Sponsons. Just don't bother. A complete and utter waste of points if ever there was one. (Number 1 on Boraks useless equipment list. Even before PCS Flag)
But! But you can still pay points for searchlights on some vehicles!

Don't forgetn the hull lascannon as a option - It's good on a demolisher and vanquisher as you get to fire a 2nd weapon (and keeps up with the required AP / adds range)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Well I plan to run a mechanized army list so I guess side sponsors won't be needed then. But I heard that hvy. flamers are effective because your going to be moving around a lot and there pretty useful if the enemies get to close. So in other words there not worth getting?
The thing with H-Flamer sponsons, You can't move and fire both of them and the chances that the enemy will be in range while your sitting still i next to nothing - they'll have assaulted you and killed you. Plus it's generally better to move forward and get one good hit with a flamer than get 2 bad hits with two. A hull H-Flamer is enough.

If you're doing a Mech army, nah, I wouldn't bother with sponsons at all. Keep moving.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I run two in a 2000pt gunline, Hull H/B, Sponson H/B, Pintle H/Stubber. Mostly shoot things for a few turns or leapfrog each other in a measured advance (everybody else is walking after all!)

Don't forget - even after you've calculated every point to the nth degree and done all the game maths going there is still something to be said for the "look" of the thing.

Boxy WW1 style vehicles with guns sprouting from every point just looks IG to me. Leave all that sleek optimised weapon fit heresy to the Eldar & Tau - cursed xenos......

·
Registered
593 Posts
I prefer no sponsons, and with the Hull Lascannon. It's fairly cheap, has some good range, and threat from the battle cannon and the lascannon.

rarely do my russes sit and spit. if they do, they're easy to kill, and firing through cover at targets, more often than not.

I prefer to move for optimal LoS, and use terrain to MY advantage.
so, no sponsons.

If I WERE going to use sponsons, I'd prob. use Plas cannon, they cost, but they kick stuff in the teeth.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would just spend 15 more points and get a Demolisher. You sacrifice range for the ability to effectively engage far more types of targets, and you also get an extra point of rear armor. Going from 10 to 11 is huge when you get charged by STR 4 attackers, which are plentiful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I usually run my russes without sponsons. I find that when I have the sponsons, I feel somewhat pressured to force my russ to sit to make use of them. My friend was watching me play and just noticed I was far more reluctant to move the sponson russ even if moving it would have done better.

I took the sponsons off all my tanks now, and I find the extra points lets me fit in a few extra things here and there, plus having the sponsons and hull LC was a little on the 'much' side.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Plasma Cannon sponsons and Heavy Bolters are pretty much the only things I'd consider. HBs are decent if you need some extra anti-infantry firepower, as you can shoot the battle cannon at a unit and kill off whatever's left with them. Plasma sponsons are a possibility if you expect you'll have to face Tyranids, as it gives you two more shots against MCs and more horde control. Just remember to not be a slave of your sponsons, and move if you must.

·
2,076 Posts
I like to run Heavy Bolters Sponsons and Heavy Flamer hull weapon on my Leman Russ.

If Enemies are far away, my Russ can stand still and spit out 6 extra shots on top of Ordanance, or it can move 6" and fire 3 extra shots.
If Enemies stray very close, hit them with the Flamer.
It also means if the Russ gets it turret knocked off, it can still pose some sort of threat.
20 points are a bit steep, but unless I am trying to squeeze something in, they are usually worth it.

Executioner should be given plasma sponsons to go with its plasma main weapon.

My Demolisher will probably have no Sponsons, or heavy bolters. It will be closing quickly but I still like to shoot as much as I can on the move, and keep the hull flamerfor when the combat gets up close and personal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thnx for the replies so far, and I actually meant only having a hull mounted hvy flamer, not side sponsors so just clearing that up. And I'm currently debating on whenever to get either a Demolisher or a Executioner w/plasma cannon SS.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I'm a big fan of hull Lascannons. Yes it does cost 15pts more, but it is always usefull. It makes your Russ's/Demolishers multi-purpose. I am often firing my Russ's and Demolishers at vehicles, and the Lascannon fits in nicely. Also if the Battle cannon gets destroyed, you still have something valuable to shoot. Heavy Flamer would be my second.

The only time I use sponsons is Heavy Bolters on an Exterminator. Exterminators have the range to sit back and not move on occasion. I personally would never put Plasma/Melta sponson points that you may not shoot. In general tanks need to keep moving.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thnx for the replies so far, and I actually meant only having a hull mounted hvy flamer, not side sponsors so just clearing that up. And I'm currently debating on whenever to get either a Demolisher or a Executioner w/plasma cannon SS.
I'd probably use a hull-mounted Heavy Flamer. You lose little at long range, but it gives everything great close-range anti horde. And IMHO, a Battle Tank with Plasma Sponsons is better than an Executioner with Plasma Sponsons. Simply because the Executioner is so expensive, and really overkill. In the same way, a Battle Tank with Plasma Sponsons is usually better than an Executioner, unless you know you want to move it around every turn, then the Executioner is better. So it really depends on the rest of the list.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I find the executioner to be very effective. Expensive, but it kills things til they're dead. The 5 shots you can get with the SBTs pretty much guarantees you at least one good hit, whereas a bad scatter with your one battlecannon shot can be worrying, even with the sponsons to back it up. plus you get a larger bell curve of what it can do and what it can RELIABLY do which is what I prefer to operate in.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I find the executioner to be very effective. Expensive, but it kills things til they're dead. The 5 shots you can get with the SBTs pretty much guarantees you at least one good hit, whereas a bad scatter with your one battlecannon shot can be worrying, even with the sponsons to back it up. plus you get a larger bell curve of what it can do and what it can RELIABLY do which is what I prefer to operate in.
True, I just don't usually like my units to be too expensive, or a dingle lucky shot will put a huge dent in your army. The Executioner with Plasma sponsons is good, yes, but IMHO it is too much more expensive than a Battle Tank with Plasma sponsons for the difference. It may not seem like that much, but those points can mean the difference, specially if you play multiples.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
To be honest i'm not all that impressed by the Executioner. Compared to the Demolisher it's not all that different. Sure it's got 3 Blast but compared to a big Blast template there's not much in it. The only thing that really seperates the two is strength Vs Range. So to me their about evens in the game but the demolisher is just cheaper by such a big margine that i always go with the old faithful.

Each to their own though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.