Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an idea a while ago about the possibility of us IG players doing a weekly army list challenge type thread series, we have one of the most flexible codexes with a host of different troops and vehicles so why not spotlight some units oother than vendettas ansd chimeltas? The idea would to make compedative lists following a certain theme and points level. Much like a topic of the week, but in the army list section. The idea would to be to get people to look at units and army types in different ways, and possibly find new or more useful ways of using these units and making them and other themes more compedative. The challenge could be more restrictive such as a 2500 point army with 30 Ogryns or less such as a 1500pt artillary company list.

What do you guys think of this? Would you support it? Or if i posted one up would it just be egg on my face?

Looking forward to your replies, Happy New Year

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of themes are you thinking about? like abhuman heavy? Inquisitors?
I was thinking of things like all infantry, a 2500pt list with 30 ogryns, artillary companies, maybe an army with 9 russes, all outflanking (no valks/vendettas)... Anything IG players wouldn't normally consider bringing to a tournament.

The Emperor Protects

·
611 Posts
I was just thinking about this. It's really evident to me now that ALL factions in 40k are going to mech up or die so I was wondering how to make a dismounted IG infantry platoon effective. We know melta vets, Valkyries and Vendettas are effective but I think it would be a real challenge to find ways to make the infantry platoon effective. I've come up with some ideas but right now (I'm done kicking a screaming about my nerfed lists) I think I'm just going to be meching up.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And I assume it isn't just making oddball lists, but the challenge entails making such a list viable, yes?
Yes

I was just thinking about this. It's really evident to me now that ALL factions in 40k are going to mech up or die so I was wondering how to make a dismounted IG infantry platoon effective. We know melta vets, Valkyries and Vendettas are effective but I think it would be a real challenge to find ways to make the infantry platoon effective. I've come up with some ideas but right now (I'm done kicking a screaming about my nerfed lists) I think I'm just going to be meching up.
Blob squads have always served me well, just as a distraction; they will almost never flee and they can soak up so much punishment. With 4+ squads firing at something you might even do some damage.
Mortar support squads arecheap and good to hide on an objective, normally you'd have to get another unit to babysit it instead of fighting but they can do both, in KP games they're better than many other squads because they can hi9t that last model iding behind a building and can hide out of LOS themselves.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are we going to have a set theme for each set of entries? Like, for example, an Ogryn auxilia list, or a regiment recruited from a feral world?

Also, what could be good, might be a short paragraph of fluff to be submitted with each entry.
Yes there will be a theme for each entry, along with rules for how to craft your army and a points level, so that we can better compare the lists posted.

The fluff thing sounds like a good idea, and it certainly will be an option for anyone commenting with a list, however there is a chance I will put some fluff in the thread-starting post, or if p[eople don't want to write up some fluff for this they don't have to -it is a theoretical discussion afterall.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm definetly up for this. Sound like fun

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be posting the first topic up sometime friday, in the Army List section.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The first challenge is up. 1500pt walking armies.

The Emperor Protects

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
HQ
Company Command-Straken, bodyguard, medic, camo cloaks, vox
3 Priests

Troops
PCS-autocannon
Infantry-melta, power weapon, melta bombs, vox, Commissar w/ power weapon
Infantry-melta, power weapon, melta bombs
HWS-3 autocannons
HWS-3 autocannons
HWS-3 autocannons
PCS-autocannon
Infantry-melta, power weapon, melta bombs, vox, Commissar w/ power weapon
Infantry-melta, power weapon
HWS-3 autocannons
HWS-3 autocannons

Total-1500

Plan is easy:
1) De-mech the opposition with oodles of autocannons. AV14 is a problem, but Land Raiders or the dudes inside won't have anything to do with this army consider blob platoons pwn TH/SS Termies.
2) Advance up to midfield with the blobs and dare anything to come your way (check the SW FAQ, we now get furious charge when counter attacking!)
3) Waagh!! Err, For the Emperor!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.