Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I'm thinking of getting together a small VC army for a tournament next year. I was thinking about using empire soldiers painted in Sylvania colours with some bit swapping.

Does this sound viable?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will get some better pics up of my undead for you Swntzu, but my entire army is made up of bits, skeletons, Black Knights, even my Black Coach and Vampires use Empire and Bretonnian bits

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some better pics up of my undead for you Swntzu, but my entire army is made up of bits, skeletons, Black Knights, even my Black Coach and Vampires use Empire and Bretonnian bits
That sounds great!:)

The whole reason that I want to do this is because of the frankly quite disgusting models in the VC range. I quite liked the Army of Sylvania list from Storm of Chaos too.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
Definately, you can also give your Grave guard great weapons with the new book so makes it even easier. Infact the new book gives us a ton of options. You will for example be able to march your army with any vampire nearby so the authoritive nature of the Carsteins is there... though not specificly for Carsteins it still helps the theme abit IMO.

Cheers

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Definately, you can also give your Grave guard great weapons with the new book so makes it even easier. Infact the new book gives us a ton of options. You will for example be able to march your army with any vampire nearby so the authoritive nature of the Carsteins is there... though not specificly for Carsteins it still helps the theme abit IMO.

Cheers
Ace! I can see my list shaping up now. It's a shame that it comes out in a month though :(

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
There is no real source for their colours, but I used dark red and dark purple for mine. That seems to be a common trend of colours used on the Carstein vampires in the army book, and suits them well IMO.

Mixing skellie bits with other armies is a great way to make a unique army, and not too hard either. Go for it! I made my Sylvanians into dead elves, combining with dark elf bits.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts

Cheers
It's going to be really hard to not go haywire with units. It's like a candy shop of rare choices and character builds.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
It's going to be really hard to not go haywire with units. It's like a candy shop of rare choices and character builds.
I believe this will only be a temporary thing till we settle down with the list. Infact I made a few lists based on the rumours and you quickly feel the increased cost in our characters(most notebly with our heroes). Also going too hard on the rare slots will further hurt the list so it is a fine balanced indeed... believe me I´ve seen "wishlists" being so horribly unbalanced due to the "candy shop"-syndrome you describe.

However, if one is sincere with making a themed list you can still adhere to the theme, make use of most choices without straying too far and still make a very cool list.
For example in my opinion the only unit which is out of place in a Sylvanian list are the varghulf, KotBK and ghouls. Still leaves the player will alot of juicy choices. As for items and powers I´d just steer away from the beastly and severed and items such as Banner of Strigois and other items closely connected to other bloodlines.

Like a candy shop you gotta pick what tastes well together cause if you take it all you´ll get a stomach ache :)

It's a shame that it comes out in a month though :(
Could have been worse :p

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I believe this will only be a temporary thing till we settle down with the list. Infact I made a few lists based on the rumours and you quickly feel the increased cost in our characters(most notebly with our heroes). Also going too hard on the rare slots will further hurt the list so it is a fine balanced indeed... believe me I´ve seen "wishlists" being so horribly unbalanced due to the "candy shop"-syndrome you describe.

However, if one is sincere with making a themed list you can still adhere to the theme, make use of most choices without straying too far and still make a very cool list.
For example in my opinion the only unit which is out of place in a Sylvanian list are the varghulf, KotBK and ghouls. Still leaves the player will alot of juicy choices. As for items and powers I´d just steer away from the beastly and severed and items such as Banner of Strigois and other items closely connected to other bloodlines.

Like a candy shop you gotta pick what tastes well together cause if you take it all you´ll get a stomach ache :)
sounds like the same thing that happened after they released the high elves

·
Registered
242 Posts
There was a spread in White Dwarf about the Sylvanian Empire Armies, I shall find it this evening when I go home and which issue it was. They were black, purple and red.
Had banners and the like. Sounds like a great idea, I've seen one or two under the old rules, under the new rules, should be easier to do (hopefully).

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There was a spread in White Dwarf about the Sylvanian Empire Armies, I shall find it this evening when I go home and which issue it was. They were black, purple and red.
Had banners and the like. Sounds like a great idea, I've seen one or two under the old rules, under the new rules, should be easier to do (hopefully).
Any progress on this?

I'm trying to come up with a cheap way of getting the models together. I suppose that waiting for my army book to arrive will be the best policy but until then does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
Just take lots of wolves because Von Carsteins love wolves. In the new rules you can equip grave guard with great weapons so they can now represent sylvanian levy. Other than that pretty much anything goes, though depending on the new fluff things might change. I really can't see ghouls being used that often by the aristocratic vampires. Much of the flavor will come down to how you equip your vampires and especially what abilities you give them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.