Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I have the game and I used to play it quite frequently, and I really liked it. I really liked the game play, and it offered a nice change from other similar games. 2 things that I paticularly liked was

1) the connection with warhammer
2) Relic, strategic, and requisition points

Overall I think the game is really good. I'd get it if you're into RTS's.

also this would probably better suited in the game's forum or w/e it's called.

peace man :happy:

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Well, I dont play it all that much now except in LAN games, but the third expansion is out next month, so it gets another longevity boost there.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
And you can get the anthology now too, which has the two expansions on it.

its a good game, in a Starcraft type way- and I can see why it is very popular in multiplayer (although ive only ever played the single player game)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I'm a bit behind the times, as I haven't played Dark Crusade (tho the gf just got it for me for my birthday, gotta love her), but I've played the original and Winter Assault.

Basically, if you're expecting an exact duplication of the tabletop game, you'll be very disappointed, as the gameplay really doesn't resemble it at all, and I don't think that was ever the plan.

It plays pretty much like any other RTS (Starcraft, Command and Conquer, etc.), with one crucial exception: Units can be replenished on-the-fly (lost a guy? Select a unit and replace him), which sounds a little weird, but if you think about it, it isn't any weirder than the infantry barracks from Command and Conquer (or, as I like to call them, the "clown cars") churning out hordes of men. In Dawn of War, you also see, at least on the Imperial side, drop ships coming in to deposit parts and men whenever you build something, which actually ADDS to the realism.

There are also command points to capture, which you then must defend to protect your warbuilding assets. Reminds me of the Battlefront games.

Other than that, it's basically a run-of-the-mill RTS, starring your favorite tabletop heroes. With the "anthology," you can play with Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, Eldar, Necrons, Orks, and Chaos. Only thing missing are Dark Eldar (stay tuned. They're coming out in the NEW installment!) and nids, which I understand requires a shift in the game engine or something to get right, so don't hold your breath.

All in all, it's pretty good. I enjoy it. My only real criticism is it appears (haven't played it yet) that Dark Crusade, the current expansion, has no single-player campaign a la Starcraft or Command and Conquer. Instead, there's an open-ended "campaign" where there's a map, and you have to take one territory after another, populated at random by (insert other race here). Honestly, does NO ONE in the gaming industry care about good old fashioned, single-player narratives anymore?

Overall, though, it's worth it. I hope the monoliths look better in Dark Crusade than they did at the end of Winter Assault, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.