Discussion starter · #342 ·
to clear up what i posted
you are allowed to build anything from anything in the box
so far i have built a SSC , bone giant & a scorpion
the question i have is what would be a better set up
2 SSC ,scorpion
SSC , scorpion & bone giant
2 SSC , bone giant
So... Which armies do you expect to go up against? What will you use, more than the options you've listed above? Best thing is if you make three different army lists, and post them here :) Hopefully, an 8th ed player will pass by and help you with them ;)

//Nagash, 7th ed TK Veteran

Dumb rules question time - can enemy units draw LOS through your own units and trees to see the Light of Death from the Casket?
Yes. It's true line of sight. Anything you can see by stooping over and trying to look as if you were looking through the model's own eyes is considered in the model's line of sight. The casket will even affect units that are in combat if they can see it.

Discussion starter · #345 ·
Well, I want to tell you all that this thread needs some 8th ed stuff added to it. I cannot answer the questions myself, since I'm a 7th ed player, but I rely on the "helpers" for that task ;) However, I'd be sad to see a thread like this fade away... If you have ANY question about anything TK, throw it here and see who might be able to help you :)

As a small note, there are many subscribers to this thread so your post/question won't be ignored.

Cheers.

//Nagash

Discussion starter · #347 ·
why use the name Nagash?,he was a traitor to the tombking nation and one of the most evil guys ever to walk the world!!
Well, that's a more personal question, indeed. I've always been a fan of "evil" characters just because of their clear ambitions and interesting background. Villains, or at least the majority of them, always got a reason to what they do, and it has often to do with achievements for their very ego. When I started to play Warhammer, TK was an easy choice of army since I've always been fascinated of both undeath and ancient egyptian culture. One year later I started to build a VC army and at the same time I started to read Liber Necris where I learned alot about the Great Necromancer. I've also been a GM to different Pen & Paper RPGs for quite some time now, and villains (yes, that's what they are called, even though I'd like to call them "characters with personal goals") are always written in detail.

So when I decided to join the forums, there was no doubt about which name I was going to choose. I have to say that I thought it wouldn't be possible since it's a huge character in WH history, but hey! Check my name, mate. Hehe...

no offence meant
None taken. Cheers!

//Nagash

Yes. It's true line of sight. Anything you can see by stooping over and trying to look as if you were looking through the model's own eyes is considered in the model's line of sight. The casket will even affect units that are in combat if they can see it.
Will it even affect units in CC? I am seriously doubting that, as the light of death is essentially a direct damage spell and the rules are quite clear on the fact that they cant be casted into CC.

What have you got to say to this Nagash?;)

Just one question guys, since I am new at fantasy and I don't really know the whereabouts, I would like to know what is more effective in close combat from our army? Specifically between the TG and the Necropolis Knights. I am mostly going to face skaven and by looking at my army list I can see that I am going to be seriously outnumbered, so I was wondering what from this two you think would me more effective against them or what would be effective at all and should I go for a war of attrition or something else, heard he lost 40 plague monks by just 5 Chaos Knights that is the reason I was thinking of the Necropolis Knights.

Skaven IMHO is a good match up for us. Yes you will be out numbered but close to half of the models will be skaven slaves, which die just as fast as a lizardmen skink...... Any unit that is considered a hammer (necro knights, both sphinx's, Tomb Guard, Ushabti, colossus, etc) will kill skaven by the plenty if they hit their flank (with a frontal charge from a nice big unit of skellies with a prince on board of course).

The main thing you have to watch when playing against Skaven is their hammers and shooting. Warp Lightning Cannons are about as nasty as war machines get in the whole game and these need to be dealt with IMMEDIATELY!!! After that their hammers consist of the Hell Pit Abomination, Doomwheel (which also shoots), Stormvermin w/Screaming Bell and Plague Monks w/Furnace. Usually a Skaven army will bring atleast 2 of any combination of these and these are your targets for shooting/offensive magic. As for war of attrition, a Unit of 50 Sword & Board Skellies with alteast a Heavily Armoured Prince (I'd also find room for a naked Necrotect if you can spare the points) will beat clan rats and slaves hands down, and will tie up any of their hammer units until you can get one of your own in there for support. Beware of Gutter runners, they will make a mess of your backfield pretty quickly (think of SSC and casket) and are good at assassinating magic casters.

Knowing what lists you usually take would help in deciding what is best for you but as a general starter I would avoid chariots, Stalkers, Swarms and heavy ponies. a Necrosphinx is a must to take out the HPA and some nice big blocks of skellie warriors would be a good start. Add a couple of hammers of your own and you should be set.

Happy Hunting......

Reactions: Nagash
From what I know his least contains mostly infantry. To be more specific: 1 skaven leader worth round 475 Pts that grants bonuses to the plague monks and he preffers to keep him a bit further from combat, another unknown but weaker leader who will be leading frontline (if this can be told for skaven), 2 groups of 60 slaves, 2 groups of 40 monks and a large group of 80 monks with a furnace. No cannons or any other range equipment that I am aware of and no hellpitt abomination. He is clearly numbers and he actually defeated the warriors of chaos at that battle, so I was wondering, what is he hiding under his sleeve. After all the game is supposed to be friendly.... But, well,lets just say I'm not going to make it any easier than it should be. his list is around 2600 Pts strong while the one I have posted at the lists is 1500 Pts. To these points if you see I will add a second prince (Destiny and enchanted shield) and a scond lvl 3 light/death priest (whatever suits the occassion), the small scellies will merge in both larger groups (so I get 2 squads of 50 skellies with princes), and I also add a Necrosphinx and 2 small archer groups for wizard bunkers. Since I am low on hammers and I am thinking of using my army as one large anvil, that will have sufficient flank protection by war statuary and I need something unengaged for flank chargers. if I go for the TG (20/full command/banner of Eternal Flame/Halberds), well, they will be absorbeb to the line where I believe the fighting will be the thickest and the Ushabti will try the flanks. If I take the Necropolis knights, then the ushabti will still be for flanks and support, but the snakes are going to have to pull the bulk of the assaults aided by a scorpion perhaps. But except from advice on this lists would you mind telling me if the entombed beneath the sands is worth and if the serpents actually enter, should the have full command or only something specific?

Wow, sorry if I write too much but I get carried away. Cheers! :lashes:

Discussion starter · #353 ·
Wow, sorry if I write too much but I get carried away. Cheers!
No apology ever needed for such a thing as getting carried away. Keep on asking and trying by yourself, or you'll never learn.

Btw, I've been wondering about returning to WHFB for a while now... It may result in increased activity on the forums. Cya..

Cheers!

//Naggy

Hey Nagash! Remember me? :) Thats my question lol. On a whim I decided to re-visit LO today and thought id just drop by and say hello. Good to see your help thread is still going strong, keep up the great work!

Discussion starter · #355 ·
Hey Nagash! Remember me? :) Thats my question lol. On a whim I decided to re-visit LO today and thought id just drop by and say hello.
Ofc, I do remember you, hehe. You were the one introducing me to the forums. Nice to hear from you! :)

Good to see your help thread is still going strong, keep up the great work!
It's still going strong, even though I do not contribute to it anymore.. However, the TK players that keep this part of the forum active also keep this thread active. Thanks for the compliment!

hey i'am a TK starter myself (start playing with WoC when 8th came out)
i've bought pretty decent amount of models allready, but do not know what to take in lower points...

750, 1000 and 1500 points.
what are must, don'ts and/or do's!

like what are the unit sizes you should take, i don't have a clue as with WoC 18 was enough
in 750 points should you take a prince and a priest? cause without the prince those skellies are worthless it seems...
what is preferred in 1000 points? tomb guard or a warsphinx?
and are those chariots worth it?

do you take a lot of archers in lower point games (20 in 1000point games or so?)

i should make some lists and post it in the list section this night.

ow and 1 more thing: what do you think of the faq that you can't resurrect models with the signature spell if you're units are in combat???
that's the most stupid signature spell ever! (specially if you have only a lvl 2 in lower games and roll 4-5 for you're spells... no res for you in combat sir) sight :)

ow and 1 more thing: what do you think of the faq that you can't resurrect models with the signature spell if you're units are in combat???
that's the most stupid signature spell ever! (specially if you have only a lvl 2 in lower games and roll 4-5 for you're spells... no res for you in combat sir) sight :)
Ummmm.... what ? I don't see anything in the FAQ about not being able to res guys if they are in combat. if someone told you that during a game they are probably taking you for a ride

Hi there and welcome,

In a nutshell TK is an army that gets better and better the more points you play, so they can be difficult to play at lower point levels compared to most armies but not impossible.

like what are the unit sizes you should take, i don't have a clue as with WoC 18 was enough in 750 points should you take a prince and a priest? cause without the prince those skellies are worthless it seems...
At 750 pts you are only going to be able to fit in a priest as you will not have enough pts available to take a prince as well, so with that in mind I'd leave the skeleton warriors at home. I'd take a unit of 20 archers for a hiero bunker to give him a bit of protection.

what is preferred in 1000 points? tomb guard or a warsphinx?
This IMHO comes down to personal preference. I usually would go for having boots on the ground (Tomb Guard) but you will need to take into consideration what else is in your army, but if I was comparing what to take in comparison to Tomb Guard I would be looking at Necro Knights as the warsphinx will want to fill a different roll in the army compared to Tomb Guard.

are those chariots worth it?
Yes they are, I rarely leave home without them. Do not under estimate the psychological effect they can have on you opponent. 3d6 S4 impact hits are brutal when your looking to hit chaff or a mage bunker.

do you take a lot of archers in lower point games (20 in 1000point games or so?)
For me I always take lots of archers, usually a unit of 20 per lvl 4 caster and/or hiero and a smaller unit of 10-12 for each priest. In fact archers usually make up the majority of my core choices (I am personally not the biggest fan of large skeleton warrior blocks any more, but that is just me)

Ummmm.... what ? I don't see anything in the FAQ about not being able to res guys if they are in combat. if someone told you that during a game they are probably taking you for a ride
This isn't anything new, the wording of Desert Wind (sig spell) says that it targets all unengaged friendly Nehekharan undead units, therefore if a unit is in close combat it would never be able to target it anyway. If you were doing this and getting wounds back for it the n you have been cheating your opponents. It is a bit of a let down in smaller games but will re-enforce my earlier statement about looking at playing larger games as TK relies on being able to bring back models with our lore attribute and the need to have access to that lvl 4 caster.

This isn't anything new, the wording of Desert Wind (sig spell) says that it targets all unengaged friendly Nehekharan undead units, therefore if a unit is in close combat it would never be able to target it anyway. If you were doing this and getting wounds back for it the n you have been cheating your opponents. It is a bit of a let down in smaller games but will re-enforce my earlier statement about looking at playing larger games as TK relies on being able to bring back models with our lore attribute and the need to have access to that lvl 4 caster.
lol i mis-read his original post, i thought he was talking about the lore attribute when there in combat not the sig spell.
in which case not they don't get the restless dead lore attribute

341 - 359 of 359 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.