Librarium Online Forums banner
21 - 40 of 359 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Oh great Priest, I have a question for you. Which would you take first in a 1250 point list, the Screaming Skull Catapult or the Casket of Souls? I have read the beginners guide and the tactica. Both seem to have their uses, even at this low of points. But which would you take more often and why?
If I know my opponent, I'll try to stick with something that can counter him. Both the SSC and the Casket can be used in different tactics, situations that will grant you different kinds of benefits.

SSC:
(Good) Very effective "Stone Thrower", can shoot twice each turn. Tough to kill, able to be healed. Enemies must take Panic Tests if any casualty is caused. Skulls of the Foe makes this test even more dangerous for your opponent.
(Bad) Often limited Line of Sight. Small template - few hits. Scattered effect. Chance to miscast.

Basket:
(Good) Gives enemy Wizards -1 to Cast. Light of Death makes your other Incantations to go through. If not dispelled, LoD is a very global spell that can cause much harm to Units. Coldblooded Units get no extra dice.
(Bad) Forces one of your LPs to be stationary. Easy target for enemy "Hunters" - such as Gorgers, Miners, Gutter Runners etc... Costs alot!

That was a rough summary, so don't execute me if I missed something :p

First thing to think of, if you want to decide on only one of these two: Which armies do I face alot where I game? How do they play? Which weaknesses have these armies? What should I be careful with? What can really hurt me? How can I counter that Unit?

When you've answered all of those questions, I'm sure you're close to your own definite answer.

Personally, I like the Casket a little bit more ( though I love them both endlessly <333 ). In a 1250 points Tourney List, I would include him. In a 1000 points Tourney List, I would not include him, sinc it's much more of a problem with points at that level. Basically, the 250 extra points I get encourages me to field a Basket.

Note: I ALWAYS upgrade my SSC with Skulls of the Foe (except from single friendly games when I KNOW that I will face Undead or Daemons).

Hope This Helps You!

//Nagash

Hi I have a question. I am going to be making a 1000 point army (I think the list isn't done) and I was wondering if it was worth magnatizing my skellies arms. I was going to have them be able to have bows or hand weapons. If not what would you choose to make your figures as?

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is your favorite color?
What is the Capital of Syria?
What is..... The average flight speed velocity of an un-ladened swallow?
If I melt dry ice can I swim without getting wet?

What future additions or modifications do you think would be good for the next TK book, which I hear is due early to middle 2010?
----------
If I know my opponent, I'll try to stick with something that can counter him. Both the SSC and the Casket can be used in different tactics, situations that will grant you different kinds of benefits.

Basket:
(Good) Gives enemy Wizards -1 to Cast. Light of Death makes your other Incantations to go through. If not dispelled, LoD is a very global spell that can cause much harm to Units. Coldblooded Units get no extra dice.
(Bad) Forces one of your LPs to be stationary. Easy target for enemy "Hunters" - such as Gorgers, Miners, Gutter Runners etc... Costs alot!

//Nagash

The Basket of Souls?

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Hi I have a question. I am going to be making a 1000 point army (I think the list isn't done) and I was wondering if it was worth magnatizing my skellies arms. I was going to have them be able to have bows or hand weapons. If not what would you choose to make your figures as?
I would go for Bowmen, pretty solid answer. I made the mistake to put different kinds of weapons on my Skellies ( even Spears o_O ), while I today regret that I didn't put Bows on them all :freaked-out:

What is your name?
What is your quest?
What is your favorite color?
What is the Capital of Syria?
What is..... The average flight speed velocity of an un-ladened swallow?
If I melt dry ice can I swim without getting wet?

What future additions or modifications do you think would be good for the next TK book, which I hear is due early to middle 2010?

The Basket of Souls?
A whole lot of questions over there :p Don't know if anyone of them is really serious (except from the Basket-question).

Basket of Souls is correct. Many eggs in one basket. The Basket is so heavy of points that it cannot move... Unfortunately.

Future additions and modifications: I can redirect you to two threads ;)

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tomb-kings/116500-7th-edition-wishlist.html

and

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/tomb-kings/172361-tomb-kings-6-5-a.html

Check them out, and you will probably know alot more :) If you have already seen these Threads, ask me a more specific question ;)

Yeah. Nagash is going as a Tomb King for Halloween, so he's bringing along a basket of souls for his razorblade infested candy...
You caught me flatfooted! It's close to an idea I have :p HAHAHA!

//Nagash

If your playing the rules for low points games (i forget the name, not Border Patrol, the other one, can be applied to 100-500 pt games) then i think you may be allowed to field a single Ush. Alt, you could always ask the kind permission of your opponent in friendly games :)

Haha I knew I should've checked the army book before posting that, yeah I was thinking maybe just fielding one on a friendly game with a mate just to see if I like fielding them before buying more... obviously taking into account slot choices and numbers of them

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Hey Nagash :)
Do you see any circumstances maybe in low points games where it would be worth fielding a single one Ushabti? thank you
I'm pretty sure that Phoenix tried to tell you of Warbands :) It's the title of very small battles where infantry can be deployed in Units of three models, Cavalry with two models and Monsters (and the like, Ushabtis for example) alone. By this way, you can field a single Ushabti.

Haha I knew I should've checked the army book before posting that, yeah I was thinking maybe just fielding one on a friendly game with a mate just to see if I like fielding them before buying more... obviously taking into account slot choices and numbers of them
As a note to you who will start to play with Ushabti: Use four! If you use less, they will disappoint you ;)

//Nagash

I'm pretty sure that Phoenix tried to tell you of Warbands :) It's the title of very small battles where infantry can be deployed in Units of three models, Cavalry with two models and Monsters (and the like, Ushabtis for example) alone. By this way, you can field a single Ushabti.

As a note to you who will start to play with Ushabti: Use four! If you use less, they will disappoint you ;)

//Nagash
Warbands, Bingo! :D What can i say, the High Priest is just too good...

One tiny thing to add on the Ush issue (which i believe is covered in my beginners guide i think), 3 Ush can be good in 1K games, but anything above about... 1100pts, the full force of 4 guys can be afforded easily :)

got a question, wondering how everyone else is playing it. It's been ages since I've taken the casket, and I really wanna start working it back into my lists. With that recent FAQ about MR not having an effect on indirect spells, I am going to assume that the TQ FAQ on the casket trumps this rule however.

It is very satisfying when the casket goes off, id really like to start taking it again.

Last I heard MR does not work on light of undeath.

I'm actually playing a warbands campaign with TK right now and I must tell you. If you are going to take a single model, don't do the Ushabti. Take a tomb scorpion. It's not that much more and the things are absolute beasts on the battlefield. Don't even use ICFB. The things are one of our fastest units. Poison and killing blow, MR(1). These things are great in regular warhammer, in warbands they are nearly unstoppable.

got a question, wondering how everyone else is playing it.

With that recent FAQ about MR not having an effect on indirect spells, I am going to assume that the TQ FAQ on the casket trumps this rule however.

It is very satisfying when the casket goes off, id really like to start taking it again.
Generally where there is any contradiction the more recent FAQs trump older ones (like the TK FAQ specifically), though as a TK player I suppose I would say that wouldn't I? ;) GW are typically either tight lipped about it (since they don't endorse the FAQs as a policy), or -even worse- if you do manage to press them for a clarification then two different people at GW will often give two different answers. :disapointed:

I'm personally inclined to think MR doesn't affect the casket but I would suggest you keep a copy of the new FAQ handy if you're playing in a tourney. If anyone still wanted to argue the point then I would just let it go. It's not a huge deal in any event and the casket is well worth taking these days regardless.

Whatever way you go with this, I would still recommend you dust of the casket and give it a go again.

SOOOUUULS! :ghost::ghost::ghost:

Hi Nagash,

I was wondering what your thoughts on the Blade of Setep is. I'm still new to WHFB but I've played 40k for quite awhile and well... weapons that ignore armor are huge. How do they scale in this game?

yeah, i am gonna give it a go soon, though in my friendly games my bud likes to take a black dragon haha. Last time i took the casket was in a tourney before the MR faq came out, and i didn't get it off in 3 games, and 1 game had malekith, which im never gonna cast on lol.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
got a question, wondering how everyone else is playing it. It's been ages since I've taken the casket, and I really wanna start working it back into my lists. With that recent FAQ about MR not having an effect on indirect spells, I am going to assume that the TQ FAQ on the casket trumps this rule however.

So, Vallah and Wafflebob were quick to answer this question. As for my answer, I would say NO :)

Global effects cannot be negated by MR, though there are people who claims that these effects can be negated (and I totally respect that) by MR. Like the sun is shining on every Unit on the Battlefield, but no one can totally shield himself from sunlight, the radiation etc...

Just discuss it with your fellow WHFB gamers :)

Hi Nagash,

I was wondering what your thoughts on the Blade of Setep is. I'm still new to WHFB but I've played 40k for quite awhile and well... weapons that ignore armor are huge. How do they scale in this game?
Blade of Setep is a very useful weapon. Not only does it negate armour, but it destroys all kinds of Magic Armour at the cost for one attack.

Against some Armies it's worth it, against others it's not. If you give it to a TP, he will not be able to wield an additional Magic Item. In addition to that, he only has Strength 4!

Giving the Blade of Setep to a King might be smart. Sometimes... He has Strength 5 and will Wound most creatures on at least 4+. You have to count the effects between GW and BoS.

GW = S7 = Easier to Wound, negating enemy armour with a -4 modifier.
BoS = S5 = Still good Strength, negating all armour, very good against enemy Characters with Magic Armour.

To decide if it is "worth it" or not, we have to know: Is the basic AS of our opponents 3+ or better? Do they use any annoying Magic Armour pieces?

//Nagash

Blade of Setep is nice, but it pretty much has to go on a king, your prince would be defenseless if he held one. On a king you could take it and a gold ankrha, with LA and a shield. Gives him a 4+ armour and 4+ ward. This is actually a good combo for him on a chariot. But if on foot, that is 95 points of magic items, id still go with the destroyer of eternities and the collar, DoE is easily a top 5 best weapons in the game. I play 4 armies and it is my favourite weapon.

21 - 40 of 359 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.