Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As self appointed OverTyrant of LO i thought i would create this thread in order to empower Fellow Ogre Players in any way i can.

Short and Sweet. Ask and I will answer to the best of my abilities Having trouble beating a certain army? Rest assured i have faced said foe. Questions about certain items or combo's? Trust me I have tried it mate.

All in all anything you need to know about Ogre's whether to help you play as OR play against feel free to ask

=edit= almost a year later and decided to fix my spelling mistakes. enjoy =edit=

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Blood Gruel the Flatulent and His Deadly Winds

Oh great, OverTyrant Loki, please answer my plea!

My Ogres disobey my every command, losing combat after combat, battle after battle. Please help me determine my unit builds.

Blood Gruel the Flatulent commands the following Ogres in his tribe:

19 Bulls with 2 standard bearers and 3 musicians.

8 iron guts, with two musicians, and one standard bearer.

3 maneaters (who often practice gastromancy instead)

4 leadbelchers

Blood Gruel also commands some lesser beings:
3 Yhettes

a scraplauncher

a slavegiant

80 gnoblars

4 gorgers

How should Blood Gruel assemble his Deadly Winds? What build will maketh their stink hurt the enemy more than themselves?

EDIT: By the way, Phenix has started a thread offering to build armies. I challanged him to defeat the OverTyrant Loki. May the best Ogre win! (I'm betting the Loki)

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh great, OverTyrant Loki, please answer my plea!

My Ogres disobey my every command, losing combat after combat, battle after battle. Please help me determine my unit builds.

Blood Gruel the Flatulent commands the following Ogres in his tribe:

19 Bulls with 2 standard bearers and 3 musicians.

8 iron guts, with two musicians, and one standard bearer.

3 maneaters (who often practice gastromancy instead)

4 leadbelchers

Blood Gruel also commands some lesser beings:
3 Yhettes

a scraplauncher

a slavegiant

80 gnoblars

4 gorgers

How should Blood Gruel assemble his Deadly Winds? What build will maketh their stink hurt the enemy more than themselves?

EDIT: By the way, Phenix has started a thread offering to build armies. I challanged him to defeat the OverTyrant Loki. May the best Ogre win! (I'm betting the Loki)
Well Young Bruiser first problem is To many of those lazy bulls running around. Remember Guts are our best troopers and you should take them in abundance. Sad Fact of life is that those bulls have gotten so fat and lazy that you never ever have call for more then a single 3 man squad. Anything bulls do Ironguts do o so much better.

Slavegiant: While a great centerpeice and a brilliant model they just really have no place in the army. Normal Giants Just suck and die. Slavegiants Suck and Die or Break and Flee. Not to mention that they are terrible at killing large targets due to their different table then normal giants. Compare the Large Target combat list of SLave Giants Vs normal Giants and you will see that Throttle with chain is such a god awefull replacement. Dont forget that a single unit of 20 gnoblars can drop a Slavegiant in a single round of shooting.

Scraplaunchers: Theese are Brilliant mate. Thing to keep in mind tho is they are not a stonethrower that does impact hits. They are Chariots that have stonethrowers strapped onto the back. Drop Templates as you move this puppy across the board and get those lovely d6 str 5 impact hits. Dont forget that the Scraplaunchers is much less vulnerable to str 7 hits inc lose combat as OK are really the only army with a ready supply of CC str 7.

Maneaters: Are brilliant models but overpriced for what they do. Thing to remember if you run them. No matter what setup you use for them make sure that you run a single cathayan longsword. Maneaters are not champions which means YOU sir get to choose which maneater takes wounds. This allows you to use the superior I and WS of said maneater to protect your greatweapon wielding ones. If that comes up as a rule issue remember its in the Maneater Erreta that they all get to fight with their different weapons which means they overrid the normal majority rules. IT also states that YOU choose the model getting hit. All in all It helps them survive.
THey can also make a decent shooty unit for picking off skirmishers and the like.

Leadbelchers: Belchers have a limited use thats for sure. BUT the use they are good for is brilliant. You shoot them at a unit of goblins and you wont be impressed. On the flipside light up a shaggoth and chuckle as you drop it with 2 belchers (rolls allowing of course). It also allows you to ping away at those girly high elves and that annoying ASF rule. HElves tend to be squishy with bad armor and low Unit Strength in each unit. This allows you to really put the hurting on units of greatswords and the like. Belchers also while a bit pricey make excellent alternitives to bulls if you really want to include them (retain ogre clubs and gain Belcher cannons)

Blood Gruel the Flatulent
Tenderiser Wyrdstone+Luck Gnobler + another item of your choice. THis adds up to a pretty standard tyrant.
Tenderiser+ Mawseeker + Jade Lion(reroll failed psychology). My personal fav as it makes light of anything str 3 or lower. You may ask Overtyrant Loki they can still wound me on 6's why is that good. Well my little bull hit Blood Gruel with Toothcracker and anything Str 3 or lower CANNOT WOUND YOU AT ALL. This is the Cure to the High Elf disease.

Butcher
Kit you decide. i suggest Siegebreaker+skull mantle Bangstick+Dispell scroll and a third that is a straight scroll caddy. This gives you an extra spell they have to dispell as well as turning your butcher (who is the equal of any non OK Combat Hero Choice save chaos) into a chariot wrecking machine. Usefull note. If your Siegebreaker Butcher HITS (note hits not wounds) a Steamtank it is immediatly destroyed as it has no I value. This also works on warmachines (usefull vs dwarves as they dont leave it behind often).

Bulls x3 Naked no command. THeese are for baiting fleeing and getting shot to hell so your Ironguts dont.

Ironguts: Cant have enough of em. They are the answer to every problem you have if properly Gut magiced.

Gnoblar Trappers: Take at least the min ammount as they are awesome marchblockers and a general pain in the rump. And even str 2 sharpstuff can bring down kornate Chosen Knights.

Gnoblar Fighters : Great on a flank charge and the bane of any t5 or lower large target. 4 ranks of Gnoblars rapid firing at a giant will drop it in a single turn barring horrible rolls. And even if you roll bad and the giant smashes into your Gnoblars. Well who cares their gnoblars.

Yhetee's: They are love or hate. I hate em. Fragile and get shot to peices. Rather take gorgers and Guts

Gorgers: Never take a single one. Take 2 if you take any. Doubles your chances of getting one on the table turn 2 and wrecking war machines. I love theese so much i run a skrag list with 6.

so what i would make with your above list assuming 2000 points is

Blood Gruel : Mawseeker+Tenderiser+Jade lion + standard non magical kit

Butcher: Seigebreaker + SKull mantle (str 7 mage that braingobles on -1 ld? whats not to like)

Butcher: Bangstick + Dispell Scroll (extra spell to dispel as well as reliable magic protection)

Butcher: Dispel Scroll Dispell scroll (need i say more).

Bulls x3 no upgrades

Irongutsx3 at least 2 unts + all remaining points go here. Keep in mind that several units of three work better then 1 unit of loads of guts. Less chance to lose a bunch to LD tests as well as protection from losing your most valuable units to massed shooting. Place your butchers in with theese guys as they have superior LD to your Butchers and will keep em on the table.

Gnoblar fighters: If you have points left over but not quite enough for ironguts then a unit here is great. Remember trappers and Gnoblars both count for taking scrappies.

Trappers

Scraplauncher

LeadBelchersx2 Great at shooting up small units. You nay take another unit of 2 and a Gnoblar fighter unit in place of a single unit of ironguts. personal preference.

gorgerx2

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions let me know. Im more than happy to help =).

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use Trappers to marchblock and use a stacked flank approach. For example Set all your Gnoblars up on the far right with your Trappers there as well to march block. Set up your entire ogre armada on the left side of the board (and givin the low model count of OK its easy enough to fit them) and roll his battle line up.

Ogre's are fast enough that redeploymant is never an issue.

Now lets take in mind that a canny opponent will spot this and stop your stacked flank. Well this is another strength ogre's have. Double Bluff em. Gnoblars are all down on the right flank. You place your Scrappie Yhettee's and Belchers on the left (note they have fast movement or ranged attacks) He starts dropping his greatswords and the line there. Well thats when your Tyrant and his Gut Hammer unit slap back down on the right and cause issues as most other armies hammer/anvil units CANNOT redeploy as easily as ogre's. Your main issue is going to be Cavalry so make sure they east Bonecrunchers every turn.

If Facing a Larger Dwarven Force the strategy changes dramaticly as they will hang back and shoot the piss right outta Blood Gruel. Throw all caution to the wind and charge charge charge. Anything not tied up in combat eats braingobblers and bonecrunchers. Try not to get your tyrant bogged down in challanges with DWarven Hero's as they are tough and alot of what he tosses at them will bounce. Just make sure that your breaking them with combat res. Yes you heard me Ogre's with combat res. Dwarves usually pack Smallish Anvil units so they can spread enough around to lock anyone out of their Warmachines. So while you are tearing up theese smallish units your gorgers should be hard at work biting stunty heads off while the hard front is all busy. Anvil of doom sucks i know just try your damndest to get a gorger or a seigbreaker to it. Both make short work of it.

For Horde armies. Well theese are problems (skaven are nearly impossible im afraid). As they have the ranks to break you even if you maul them. Concentrate on the subpar LD of Horde armies and Braingobble the hell outta em mate. a Few well placed Panic Checks (at -1 due to skullmantle) can send several units packing. Also Remember that the Skullmantle affects all LD tests. SO Whatever unit said butcher is in is relativly safe as those LD5 Armies cant handle Fear tests at -1. That being Said skaven counter every benefit we have. They are a horde army with decent LD (due to the rank thing) and can shoot into combat thus negating our usuall strategy of getting stuck in so you dont get shot up. Our solution? GNOBLARS. Get those Gnoblars into combat with every jezzail you can get em into contact with. Ratling guns are the same. Trappers Scout for a reason so make sure your at least tying them up.

All in All Ogre's can handle slightly larger forces more easily then other armies due to the fact that said 250 points doesnt get us that much more. Thats 2-3 units worth of points for other armies. Barely covers the cost of a tooled up Irongut for us. You just have to outsmart and outflank.

hope that answered your question

Overtyrant Loki the handsome and wellgroomed

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Dave, one pice of advice. Look at grabbing yourself a single Rhinox Rider. Awesome model and amazing on the battlefield. Make him a Champ too. Thats ofcourse if you decide to continue with Ogres, im working on my version of the a list for you right now :)

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave, one pice of advice. Look at grabbing yourself a single Rhinox Rider. Awesome model and amazing on the battlefield. Make him a Champ too. Thats ofcourse if you decide to continue with Ogres, im working on my version of the a list for you right now :)
Problem is their not legal tho i agree they are great on the tabletop. Always take the Bull Rhinox upgrade.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Oh great and powerful Over Tyrant Loki, i would like to ask 4 questions, for your undying wisdom.

1) Can Maneaters, Tyrants and Brusiers move and shoot with the brace of handguns? I have been called on this as it doesnt state in their rules if they can or cant.

2) Can a Tyrant and Brusier have a Brace of handguns, and a magic weapon?

3) What did Greaseus Gold Tooth tats like when you ate his guts?

4) How do you like the crown that Greaseus left you?

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, Loki. I face Tomb Kings next in my League. How in the hell do I deal with TK?
Short answer. Canny use of Gut magic.

A SIngle unit with trollguts can shut down the casket as the Magic resistance 2+ an additional DD will dispell the whole damned thing. Bullgorger is your friend. Guts with Gorger can destroy on average 5 chariots in a single round of combat (9 str 7 attacks that hit on 4's and insta pop said chariots). Never ever let them get the charge as the impact hits can and WILL hurt you in a serious fashion. But once in combat not much will give you trouble.

So quick breakdown.

Never let them get the charge.

Keep at least a single trollguted unit in LoS of the casket

Keep Urgency from getting off (Gives them free movement/charge/reform)

Ushbati are a pain in the arse with their multi wounds and Greatweapons. Drop em.

The Catapult is a real issue as are any war machine Get gorgers/trappers on this ASAP.

Bone Giants are a joke for OK. Send a unit of 20-25 gnoblars at it and you will get 40-50 shots that hit on 4's and wound on 6's. it can and will drop. and if it doesnt o noes i lost 40 points of Gnobo's

Kill the Herio if you can but dont throw everything away on him. Tyrant is the ultimate character killer so have fun.

Seigebreaker is your Butchers Best Friend.

As long as you dont get charged Toothcracker is more efficient then Trollguts (Instead of wounding on 5's and getting a 4+ save they are wounding on 6's and your getting a 5+ saveassuming Guts) Works out better. Just remember to keep a single Trollgut unit staring at the casket.

Hope that helps and i look foward to your results

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh great and powerful Over Tyrant Loki, i would like to ask 4 questions, for your undying wisdom.

1) Can Maneaters, Tyrants and Brusiers move and shoot with the brace of handguns? I have been called on this as it doesnt state in their rules if they can or cant.

2) Can a Tyrant and Brusier have a Brace of handguns, and a magic weapon?

3) What did Greaseus Gold Tooth tats like when you ate his guts?

4) How do you like the crown that Greaseus left you?

1) Yes they may. no where in the brace of handguns rules does it say Move-Or-Fire in the OK book. Unless that is stated then they may move and fire as normal. Goofy Tidbit but Ogre's have the best handguns in Warhammer currently!!

2)Yes they may. But in Close combat you MUST use your magic weapon. I still take brace of handguns in addition to my Tenderiser for several reason. First they look cool. Second it allows you to stand and shoot in the event you get charged(its saved me more then once). And if you cant get a charge off with your tyrant you can still shoot some poor sap in the teef with a pellet or two.

3) Pink jellybeans. My Thought Gnoblars are still trying to figure out why

4) i use it to store my LO rep now. Im smart enough without that burger king hat and if i were to wear it my posts would become transdimensionaly intellegent to the point no one but me and god would understand them and would therefore be a moot point/. On that Note Gresus is a crappy Special character and i advise never taking him.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You mentioned in your reply to David that by keeping a unit with magic resistance 2 facing the casket you could use their magic resistance to dispell it. I was wondering if this is legitamate as several TK armies ive played said that I couldnt use magic resistance to dispell.

Ive tried to argue the case for it, but they still wont allow it. Has there been a FAQ posted about it. Coz it would really be funny to shove it in their face.:?

·
7,143 Posts
You can, i think its in the TK FAQ. The Casket affects every unit which can draw LoS to it. If any of the units that can see that Casket have MR, then these dice may be added to the dispel roll on the casket. You only add the Highest MR or al potential targets though, they dont stack.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You mentioned in your reply to David that by keeping a unit with magic resistance 2 facing the casket you could use their magic resistance to dispell it. I was wondering if this is legitamate as several TK armies ive played said that I couldnt use magic resistance to dispell.

Ive tried to argue the case for it, but they still wont allow it. Has there been a FAQ posted about it. Coz it would really be funny to shove it in their face.:?
Then they are trying to cheese you out mate.

Page 33 of the Tomb King army book under the rules for The Light of Death state that it is cast exactly like an incantation with a powerlevel of 2d6.

Long story short it is a (albiet powerfull) Bound item and is subject to all the normal protections including magic resistance.

If you really need to point it out hardcore

Page 33 under the Light of Death. Third sentence

No Faq is needed as its clearly stated in the Caskets rules

You can, i think its in the TK FAQ. The Casket affects every unit which can draw LoS to it. If any of the units that can see that Casket have MR, then these dice may be added to the dispel roll on the casket. You only add the Highest MR or al potential targets though, they dont stack.
Is that a challenge to my Tyrantdom. I gutbarge like a beast and im hungry -_- RAWR. Other then that yes you are correct.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To further cement the fact that im always right page 95 of the Warhammer big red book under the rules for magic resistance is that if a unit that has magic resistance is affected by a spell (even if it affects multiple units) you get the magic resistance against said spell. The casket IS A SPELL (Note incantation).

If they decide to still be Stoopid about it tell me Ova Tyrant Loki will Eat dere faces and sleep wit dere wiminz

·
Registered
222 Posts
Im truely amazed at your brilliance Loki.

I just have one point to make about the competition between Loki and Pheonix. You can both most likely write some pretty awesome army lists, but the problem comes slightly later on, when the game is actually played.

One side is gonna suffer from bad dice rolling, and tactics also come into question with this matter. If Davaid is gonna test out each army individually, he would need to fight the same oppenant twice, to make it a fiar test. Or you two get 2gether and have a game of fisty cuffs with the ogre armies youve written.

Sorry is this gets one of you upset. Mainly because a person can write an awesome army list but suffer from really bad luck.

I played a person ranked 17th in all of Europe and i kicked his arse, when i'd only been playing for a month.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Honostly mate im not overly worried for the fact that im notorius for my dice rolling (have had things thrown at me). 2 weeks ago i made 11 out of 12 regen rolls on a single Irongut then proceeded to win combat break and run down a 500 point tzeentch lord and his unit of Chaos Chosen with mark of tzeentch. I know it sounds like a once in a lifetime event but i tend to pull that kinda nonsense off alot (we switched armies and i broke a 15 gut strong Deathstar with my last 5 chaos warriors and won the game).

·
7,143 Posts
I just have one point to make about the competition between Loki and Pheonix.
No competition, i just saw Dave's request for a list, and having just posted my new army list maker thread, wondered if i could give his Ogres a shot. The list i made for Dave is the first Ogre list ive ever written, more based on experiance against them and general fantasy ideas i have as opposed to it being based on Ogre Experiance like Loki.
Obviously a lot in a game can come down to dice rolls etc, the odd unlucky roll can end up costing a whole game. With Dave plying though im sure the tactics will be sound, and he is wise enough to be able to make a decision im sure.
Sorry Loki, didnt mean to appear to be taking over your Thread or anything, ill hush :)

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No competition, i just saw Dave's request for a list, and having just posted my new army list maker thread, wondered if i could give his Ogres a shot. The list i made for Dave is the first Ogre list ive ever written, more based on experiance against them and general fantasy ideas i have as opposed to it being based on Ogre Experiance like Loki.
Obviously a lot in a game can come down to dice rolls etc, the odd unlucky roll can end up costing a whole game. With Dave plying though im sure the tactics will be sound, and he is wise enough to be able to make a decision im sure.
Sorry Loki, didnt mean to appear to be taking over your Thread or anything, ill hush :)
This thread is about me and my postive brilliance. Put it in the form of a question >_<

And on a serious note the thread is starting to derail. The purpose and function of this is for poeple needing help for or against ogre's and i'd like to keep it on task if possible. If you all would like to talk about how great i am please hijack one of Dave's threads.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts