Librarium Online Forums banner
141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
510 Posts
Overtyrant loki this is warboss tiny i have played a fair amount of games agaist ogres and have never lost to them well my poor buddy is starting to get annoyed with his army and i dont want to see him stop playing ogres just cause of me so hear is what i need from you i need a list that can take on a hard hiting orc army and a WOC all cave army woc normaly plays 2000pts i play 2250pts with my orcs hope you can help would hate to see an orc give you big ogers a woopin

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
to put it simply their are only 3 viable ogre lists.

Led by a tyrant: take 2 gorgers a scraplauncher and as many Ironguts as you can afford (after butchers of course)

Led by Skrag: Spam Gorgers and gutmagic

Led by ghark: Couple of Bull Rhinox riders and as many ironguts as you can get.

Simple i know but what it comes down to is you need as many ironguts as you can get after character purchases

·
Registered
7 Posts
well when you count that fact that it doesnt do d3 wounds with no saves. I is NOT a bolt thrower. It just fires as one. same as the Scraplauncher fires as a catapault but does not ignore armor or do double str under the hole.

Reread the Harpoon rules its why hunters suck.
reading the FAQ for ogre kingdoms, you'll see that it's "fired exactly like a boltthrower" in every way. This means that the hunters harpoon crossbow is move-or-fire, does d3 wounds and ignores armour saves.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA...m470847_Ogre_Kingdoms_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

·
Registered
362 Posts
? for The Great OverTyrant Loki!

Oi great Loki, your humble servant of the Great Maw would like to lead his forces against the Puny man knights across the water, what do you advise that I bring with me? So far I figure on...

Heroes:
Bruiser - 164pts
Siegebreaker
Heavy Armour

Butcher - 140pts
x2 Tooth-Gnoblars
Core:
3x Bulls - 125pts
HW & Ironfist
Look-Out Gnoblar (I will join here)

20x Gnoblar Fighters – 40pts
4x Ironguts – 192pts
4x Ironguts – 192pts
Rare:
2x Gorger – 150pts
Or should I bring leadbelchers instead of Gorger?
Are Standard bearers worth the 20pts?
Any other suggestions? Thanks. This is for 1000pts :).

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Oi great Loki, your humble servant of the Great Maw would like to lead his forces against the Puny man knights across the water, what do you advise that I bring with me? So far I figure on...

Heroes:
Bruiser - 164pts
Siegebreaker
Heavy Armour

Butcher - 140pts
x2 Tooth-Gnoblars
Core:
3x Bulls - 125pts
HW & Ironfist
Look-Out Gnoblar (I will join here)

20x Gnoblar Fighters – 40pts
4x Ironguts – 192pts
4x Ironguts – 192pts
Rare:
2x Gorger – 150pts
Or should I bring leadbelchers instead of Gorger?
Are Standard bearers worth the 20pts?
Any other suggestions? Thanks. This is for 1000pts :).
1. Gorgers trump Belchers in a serious way
2. Nothing ogre command is worth the points except the bellower.
3. Tooth Gnoblers are largely worthless. A roll of 2 always fails so they cant help you get your 3+ spells off really. The points are better spent elsewhere. As for the ironfists they are not worth it at all. either a 6+ armor save that only works in close combat or an extra attack for that points cost is pretty sorry. either take Xtra HW or run them naked. My preference is naked. Remember if you use ironfists in any capacity you cant use the ogre club rule.

hope that helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
The points are better spent elsewhere. As for the ironfists they are not worth it at all. either a 6+ armor save that only works in close combat or an extra attack for that points cost is pretty sorry. either take Xtra HW or run them naked. My preference is naked. Remember if you use ironfists in any capacity you cant use the ogre club rule.
I used to think equipping Bulls with an Ironfist and LA was a terrible point sink, but then I turned them into an anvil-type unit (granted this happened accidentaly but still)

3 Bulls
Ironfist
Light Armour
Standard
Trollguts

I found that this unit with a 4+ Save and a 4+ Regen save was able to tie up most things barely getting wounded because of the two decent saves and their decent Toughness with their standard negating the enemies standard that's one less CR you have to worry about. Bellower might also work well in this unit.

What do you think?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Oh great Overtyrant Loki, I have a humble task to ask of you. I want to make small mens cry and need a list to do this. I want to run Skrag but have no idea how to structure my list around him. I was thinking 4-6 gorgers, 2-3 butchers, 1 bull unit, 2-3 gut units, a gnoblar unit, a trapper unit, and a scrap launcher or some man eaters. What are your oh so wise opinions on this matter?

·
Registered
81 Posts
trade your gorgers for a single maneater and other usefull stuff, use him with a great weapon and then get him to hunt war machines and the like.
trust me it never disapoints.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh great Overtyrant Loki, I have a humble task to ask of you. I want to make small mens cry and need a list to do this. I want to run Skrag but have no idea how to structure my list around him. I was thinking 4-6 gorgers, 2-3 butchers, 1 bull unit, 2-3 gut units, a gnoblar unit, a trapper unit, and a scrap launcher or some man eaters. What are your oh so wise opinions on this matter?
I can take this one loki, if you don't mind.

4 gorgers is all you'll ever need in a moderate point scrag list. remember that they are harrasment/tarpit units and not ment to break things other than war machines and (if you're lucky) monsters. keep them as together as two packs of two for the most effectivness.

Generally speaking, you want to keep as many butchers in a scrag list as possible, but if you're having trouble with scrag's unit breaking a lot, a bsb bruiser is a good consideration. Keep in mind however that in doing so you are losing extra power dice. Gut magic works best when spammed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings great overtyrant loki,

I have traveled far and wide, been away from the War(-hammer game) for a long time now. I am returning, but I have a question for one as great as you or any on your council,

Is it possible to have a decent competitive (not OP, just not losing every game either) force using only Ogres? (Or ogre sized units anyway, Yhetees and Gorgers are allowed)

Any advice on what take? Since I'm planning on a lot of conversions this will most likely not be tournament legal, so I can include some riders. (Have my old armies, Lizardmen and Wood elves, for tourneys.)

Fjuri

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
Ogre's are completely viable as an army. They are just low tier. Ive always enjoyed my ogres even if ive been playing Daemons and Beasts of chaos lately.

In fact another member at my gaming club is amassing around 25 thousand points of ogres. When it comes down to it they are a fun list and can still win games if played well.

As for building an army Ironguts are king and the bulk of your points after characters should be spent on them.

Gorgers are incredible and i suggest taking 2.

Scraplaunchers are also very good for their ability to do double work as a line breaker (via impact hits and ALOT of attacks) and dropping nice fat killing blow templates on....... well its good at killing just about anything.

do not slouch on characters/gut magic and avoid the hunter like the plague.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Ill do what i can (which is everything nyuck nyuck) :dance:

·
Registered
2 Posts
tactical advise

dear great over tyrant although i'm a veteran player i'm new to the ogre kingdoms having only played with them three times all three were wins [one purely by the luck of the gods of dice] i taking on the warriors of chaos and feel like i could use a little advice units magic item combos and general tactics also if you know how to kill a unit of blood crushers i would be very grateful [forgive the lack of a halfling my tyrant ate them when i wasen't looking.:thunder:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I think your best thing to take against brettonians is going to be a mix of butchers and leadbelchers. make sure you can face them before they charge, unload the cannons, and watch the units crumble. they will still get decent saves, but the massed fire will certainly take care of that.

Bretts are rarely magic intensive, and as such, your magic will likely go off unanswered. This is where things like toothcracker and the 2d6 S2 attacks come in. The MM will get past the retardedly good armor, and the toothcracker says you can actually take their charge, and not worry too much about losing the combat, as your LD will remain decent.

I know this forum is mostly dead now, but there are some of us still around. I hope this helps you, and good eating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think your best thing to take against brettonians is going to be a mix of butchers and leadbelchers. make sure you can face them before they charge, unload the cannons, and watch the units crumble. they will still get decent saves, but the massed fire will certainly take care of that.

Bretts are rarely magic intensive, and as such, your magic will likely go off unanswered. This is where things like toothcracker and the 2d6 S2 attacks come in. The MM will get past the retardedly good armor, and the toothcracker says you can actually take their charge, and not worry too much about losing the combat, as your LD will remain decent.

I know this forum is mostly dead now, but there are some of us still around. I hope this helps you, and good eating.

Thx for advice !

·
Registered
27 Posts
What happens when i cast a trollguts on a unit that already have trollguts RIP on it? Does first trollgut end before i cast the second trollgut or after i sucessfully cast? In other words: are gut magic RIP as standard rip in this mater or do they get disspeled only when sucessfuly replaced?

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Only when Replaced. Each gut magic spell overides any buff that is in play on the same unit. If its not cast (via dispell of failing) then the old spell remains in effect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
O great OverTyrant! Here my plea! Just finnishing up the touches on my new wood elf army and have been having a great time with them. But my heart aches for my ogres I left behind. They were called Bloth Gorebelly's Sellswords, Mercinaries exdordinare! I had alot of fun building and coming up with fluff and character for the army and I think I got rid of them before I really gave them a chance. Sure Im not going to win every game, but by god ill have fun either way! So here it is my next fantasy army is my revisit to ogres in the form of Bloth and his wandering tribe of sellswords:

Lords & Heros

Bloth Gorbelly- Tenderiser, Gut Maw, Wyrdstone Necklace, Heavy armor, Brace of handguns, Luck gnoblar

Butcher (Battle Chef)- Siegebreaker, Skull mantle, Luck gnoblar

Butcher (Cullinary expert)- Halfling cookbook, Dispel scroll, Luck gnoblar

Butcher (High priest)- Bang stick, Dispell scroll, Luck gnoblar

Core

3 Bulls (Bait)- Bellower

3 Bulls (switch)- Bellower

3 Ironguts (Personal Guard)- Bellower, Rune Maw, Lookout

3 Ironguts (Sellswords)

20 Gnoblar Fighters (Meatshields)

20 Gnoblar Fighters (Snacks)

8 Trappers ( Eyes and Ears)

Special

2 Leadbelchers (LOUD NOISES!)- Bellower

2 Leadbelchers (Fire support)- Bellower

Rare

2 Gorgers (Tooth & Claw)

= 1999 pts

So can I make this list any better? I play a wide range of armies in my area and want to be as competative as possible at the 2000pt lvl. I like to have fun with this army but wouldnt mind pulling a win out once in a while. Also wondering what I could switch around to fit a scraplauncher, or yhetees in there? I havent used either but would love to try. Also what should I do with the butchers as far as placment and tactics? So who would like to help and old Tyrant get off his rump, whip his Sellswords into shape and win some battles for the MAW!?

141 - 160 of 176 Posts