Librarium Online Forums banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Looks pretty good to me. Most of what i have to say about it is opinion as your list looks very playable.

1. Why all the luck gnoblers on the butchers?
2. I never leave home without a scraplauncher

As stated very solid list and the above is just my personal preference.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Hey Loki, I've decided to return to my original (and favorite) army after 3 years while I amassed several thousand points of lizardmen. I was just wondering if you could take a look at my old list and see if its still considered viable nowadays.

Tyrant-
Tenderiser
Greedy Fist
Wyrdstone Necklace
Heavy Armor
Mawseeker
Luck Gnoblar

Bruiser
Battle Standard Bearer
Sword of Might
Heavy Armor

Butcher
Siege Breaker
Skull Mantle

Butcher
Bangstick
Dispel Scroll

3 Bulls
Bellower
Extra Handweapon

3 Bulls
Bellower
Extra Handweapon

4 Ironguts
Standard, Lookout Gnoblar

4 Ironguts
Standard, Lookout Gnoblar
Rune Maw

20 Gnoblar Fighters
20 Gnoblar Fighters

8 Gnoblar Trappers

Scraplauncher

Gorger
Gorger

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Looks good to me. More bulls then i would personally take but that comes down to personal preference. The shame is while the meta of warhammer may change ogre's don't really have the options to adapt.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I sometimes like just the benefits of the ogre club to the additional attack, so if you want to drop some points it wouldnt hurt to lose the hand weapons on the bulls since they are going to be bait anyway really.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
I've learned to let the XHW thing go. I'm in the camp that bulls should be naked but the reasons for XHW are valid.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ogre noob with quick question, my dam ogres keep getting smashed, my only real glory is a bunch of gnoblers killing a vampire count and causing the entire army to crumble. Thnigs after loosing again me and my opponent swapped armies, nether of us having used the others , which meant i had to use Vampire counts against my ogres and still losts.
He ran them in two large formations, 1 0f 15 bulls with full command and extra hand weapons and the other of 10 iron guts with full command, this was backed up by a gorger, 24 gnoblers, a maneater, two butchers and 1 tyrant. is this actually a good thing to do or not, because i am tempted to try it myself?

·
Son of LO
4,630 Posts
ogre noob with quick question, my dam ogres keep getting smashed, my only real glory is a bunch of gnoblers killing a vampire count and causing the entire army to crumble. Thnigs after loosing again me and my opponent swapped armies, nether of us having used the others , which meant i had to use Vampire counts against my ogres and still losts.
He ran them in two large formations, 1 0f 15 bulls with full command and extra hand weapons and the other of 10 iron guts with full command, this was backed up by a gorger, 24 gnoblers, a maneater, two butchers and 1 tyrant. is this actually a good thing to do or not, because i am tempted to try it myself?
I think your problem lies in how many units you have. Try smaller units. when next editon hits, units of 6-8 will be nice hammers, and use units of 4 for flanking.

Ironguts for your hammer, inexpensive units of bulls to flank or bait with. 2 units of gnoblars are mandaotry at 2,000 points. It will come in time, ogres have a steep learning curve.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think the new edition made bulls the better choice (as long as you are ok with 1 less LD)
bulls with light armor and an iron fist get 5+ AS and 6+ Ward in CC. I 2 means usual strike last no matter weapons but the extra saves and few less points means the units can be very slightly larger and should last longer. That 6+ Ward will soften the scare of war machines. So im sure some are thinking that the bulls are S4 and iron guts are S6, well i petition that, that is more of a non-issue now since 6's always wound. Now im not saying dont take IG's I think the numbers can be lowered though and they should be used as the flankers. 2+ to wound on T4 plus they will take far fewer attacks while hitting the flanks, that sound more like a flanking unit to me! The bulls can now shake off more damage giving you the potential of more stomps. I suggest bulls in units of 6 and IG's in units of 3 or 4. Give it a try im sure a play test will prove my point.

·
Registered
47 Posts
But the ward save is only in CC? so it'll be the same as before no?
thats hilarious I contradicted myself only a few sentences away from the original statement:silly:, let me correct myself It will not help against the war machine scare. But i think the fewer points of the units at least softens the blow a bit.

I still stand by my other statements. But the biggest thing to help against warmachines is gnoblar meat shields. i like groups of 40 the best for steadfast and hoard, id use 3 units, and that means that you have to have 3 units of Bulls so id rather have 3 real units of bulls than 3 units of flankers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Oh Overtyrant Loki, today was Island of Blood day and our local GW gave away presents for the first 20 to pick up/buy their box
Myself, lucky as always had one of the better bonus bags

It consisted of
3 Grave Guard
Empire Engineer
4 Gnoblar trappers
a Butcher

I traded away the Engineer for a Gorger, and now have my first 2 Ogres, my question oh Overtyrant, onsists of: what would be the best way to heaply expand to 1000 or maybe 1500 points, would this be possible by means of a BattleForce, to pitt my newly beloved Ogres versus the High Elves under the leading from a good friend of mine who is totally new, and wants to try my new High Elves ^^

may you always have food and the blessings of the Great Maw
adanedhel

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Oh Great Overtyrany Loki hear my plea, i just wanted know how good are OK now in 8th Ed, & how many attacks would a Butcher & a unit of 5 Inronguts get? (impact hits, their attacks, stomp) thanx. Oh & thanx for answering my question about the Special Characters in the forum i should have read before.

p.s Your wisdom is so Great that you were able to answer 4 or 5 questions that i only just thought about thanx again.

·
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Haha wow. I'm amazed this is still sticiked :beauty: . To anyone who asked questions and still posts here that i did not get to i apologize. I rage quit Fantasy because I really dislike the current edition of fantasy. Also i discovered warmachine which ate my soul for a while.

Just felt somewhat obligated to check on this after the years have passed. Also howdy to all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I'm kind of new to OK. Been thinking about starting collecting for ages and finally grew a pair and bought some ogres.

I've been browsing through the army lists and found a lot of different setups for bulls and ironguts.
I was wondering on deployment.
What would be preferable one big unit of say 12 bulls/guts or two units of 6?
I get the fact that 1 unit of 12 would get a better rank bonus and all, but still... I can imagine there would be circumstances where an extra unit would come in handy.

Thanks for the feedback :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
small units of 9 are very efftive especially since if we run full command our lords and heroes have to deploy on the second rank, that said nothing beats the looks or feel of deploying a massive horde of ogres 6 wide and 4 deep, its big clumbersome but boy does it hard and as said the look on opponenets face is priceless

161 - 176 of 176 Posts