Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my list is here
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59162

Nobody has responded to it. But my main concern is weather I should use the assassin or use a small deathwatch kill team. To take the kill team I could remove the 120 point assassin and a 65 point infantry squad to give me a total of 185 points. I couldn't actually use a librarian in the squad, but i could have up to about six or seven men in the entire squad. I don't know weather its worth it to spend the points, or if both suck.

·
Registered
598 Posts
it doesn't matter, because you don't have an Inquisitor lord, so you actually can't take the assassain.

That having been said, the kill team would be a more interesting and more versitile choice, but also more expensive.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont know if I can really save more points than the 185. This is the first time I have heard about needing a Inquisitor. Since right now I don't have either the DHs or WHs Codex, I only have a copy of that one page with his special rules. Regardless, I can always put an inquisitor and only have to sacrifice Four men from that one squad with nothing in it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
mist-man said:
I dont know if I can really save more points than the 185. This is the first time I have heard about needing a Inquisitor. Since right now I don't have either the DHs or WHs Codex, I only have a copy of that one page with his special rules. Regardless, I can always put an inquisitor and only have to sacrifice Four men from that one squad with nothing in it.

the inquisitor bit is in the wh and dh codex, and also in the assassain's codex I think

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Assassin's codex stuff has been superceeded by the WH and DH codexes.. and you could take an Inq Lord + assassin for 140-155 points, depending on the type of assassin (assuming no upgrades at all on the Inq Lord).

·
140 Posts
overall the deathwatch are more versatile and better equipped than any assasin. not to mention a lot harder to kill off. I have found assasins to be incredibly powerful and useful if used correctly..but it just takes one mistake or one lucky shot from your enemy and bang.. 100+ points gone

deathwatch on the other hand not only have spacemarine power armour (always a good thing) they have the weaponry and skill required to kick anythigns ass without to much trouble. not to mention that 5 or 6 of them means your enmey needs to allocate more resources to taking them down

·
Registered
598 Posts
Miril said:
The Assassin's codex stuff has been superceeded by the WH and DH codexes.. and you could take an Inq Lord + assassin for 140-155 points, depending on the type of assassin (assuming no upgrades at all on the Inq Lord).
don't forget that the lord has to take a retinue, and you should probably give him a gun (I'm not sure if you added these in already, just making sure). Because of this you really should be careful about taking an assassain, because you really should find an intelligent slot for not only this lord, but also his 3-12 man retinue (personally, I like giving him 3 heavy bolter servitors, 2 chirgueons, and a storm bolter so he can provide a nice bit of suprressive fire or soak up a fair bit of it) Otherwise your assassain will now not only be faced with making up it's own points, but also those of a inquisitor going to waste. For that reason I only sparing take my Vindicare.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I forgot about the retinue, thanks... and thats just the base cost of the Lord + base cost of the assassin. So it'll definitely run you more.

If you want a nice shooty Inq Lord, I find that (from DH)
Inq. Lord, Psycannon
Heavy Bolter Servitor
Heavy Bolter Servitor
Plasmacannon Servitor
Sage
Sage
Mystic
And possibly some Acolytes to soak up hits

Works well. Woe to anyone who gets in LOS with them.. on the other hand, that will also cost you at least 196 points right there.

·
Drills baby.
7,103 Posts
You don't have to take the lord if I remember correctly, a normal Inqusitor is good as well.
You can take a standard, cheap inqusitor with like an power wep/bolt pistol and then an Eversor (which is in most peoles opinion the best assassin, the calidus is just exspensive).
That is aroound 120pts, probably closer to 110, and I can tell you that the Eversor is a cheap unit-killer worth every little point :yes:

·
Registered
598 Posts
yeah, the only problem being that they get pretty pricy. Since you HAVE to have one, you might as well at least try to tool him up a bit so he can make back his points... somehow (how he does this is beyond me, apart from taking a triplicate of heavy bolter servitors I've never had a constructive use for an inquisitor or a inq lord)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HERE IS AN UPDATED LIST:

Doctrines
Independent Commissars, Close Order Drill, Iron Discipline, Drop Troops, Conscripts Platoon

Head Quarters
219 Command Squad
Senior Officer: Power Weapon, Medallion Crimson, Carapace, Trademarked Item, Iron Discipline, Bolt Pistol
Four Guardsmen (Close Combat Weapons and Laspistols): Medipack, Master Vox
Three Sanctioned Psykers
Commissar: Power Weapon, Carapace, Bolt Pistol
110 Support Squads
Three Lascannons

386 Deathwatch Kill team
Captain: Power Weapon, Pistol.
Veteran Marine: Power Fist
Marines: Two Heavy Bolters W/ Susensors and Hellfire Rounds, Inferno Ammo
Drop Pod
Terminator Honors

Elites
120 Two Independent Commissars: Trademark Item

Troops 997
351 Infantry Platoon 1
Junior Officer: Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Iron Discipline
Squad 1.1: Vox, Melta Gun
Squad 1.2: Vox, Melta Gun
Squad 1.3: Vox, Heavy Bolter
Squad 1.4: Vox, Heavy Bolter

446 Infantry Platoon 2
Junior Officer: Power Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Iron Discipline
Squad 2.1: Vox, Heavy Bolter
Squad 2.2: Vox, Autocannon
Squad 2.3: Vox, Autocannon
Squad 2.4: Vox, Missile Launcher
Squad 2.5: Vox, Autocannon
120 Thirty Conscripts
80 Twenty Conscripts

Fast Attack
116 Two Sentinels:Lascannons, Smoke Launchers, Drop Troops

Total: 1848

·
durus
2,771 Posts
As far as what Assassin to take:

1000pts or less take an Eversor. Usually you can find a good infiltrating spot for him to do a long charge, and he is a CC monster.

1500+ pts take a Callidus. She doesn't have to find a good spot to infiltrate, she just "appears". She is such a lovely way to disrupt your enemy that to me she is invaluable. Between the 'word in you ear" and her Neural Shredder, she is NASTY! I won't take a Deamonhunter army over 1500pts without her.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I noticed you're taking 3 psykers, but you're not using the psyker doctrine. The best solution to this is just to drop them (they're amazingly useless unless you invest massive loads of points into them, at which point they merely become mediocre) and spend those points on either adding more deathwatch, or getting a 3rd independant commissar and putting him somewhere clever (perhaps on your HSO, so your vox network runs a ld of 10)

other then that, you've got a functioning list, though if I were you I'd bring a russ or basilisk or more, but this works just fine. The deathwatch and heavy weaponry provide you with plenty of stopping power, and the dw and sentinels provide the actually mobile arm of your army to flank or otherwise irritate foes who see masses of conscripts and assume you aren't going anywhere.

·
140 Posts
i'd say your list ispretty much what you need although to be honest i'd drop the lascannons from the sentinels in favour of autocannons. you have enought lascannons in your infantry and the autocannon is better for taking out troops and medium vechiles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't even think about the psykers as a doctiren point. THe only reason I was taking them was for extra wounds.

My Master-Vox is still running at ten becuase I already have a commissar in the command squad. I guess I would take them out and add some more wargear or another commisar. I wouldn't have enough to make him an independent.

As for the Sentinels, they are tank hunters... thats why I'm droping them in the field. I figure if they take out one tank, then they have been a success.

My biggest concern was weather I had enough lascannons amungst the toops themselves. Thats why I added the missile launcher (there were two, but I turned one into an autocanon).

As for the tanks, I think I have just been scared to use them. I know the guy I will be play testing this list with will destory it no matter what. He has two squads of mariens with two metlas each that come down from a drop pod. Aside from that, he has a four missile launcher devestator squad. I just automatically assume that everyone else would be using just as much heavy weapons as him.

·
Son of LO
5,146 Posts
An inquisitor lord isn't as awful as a lot of people think.. His retinue can make for quite a nice firebase unit.

I'm about to start an inquisition army, and was thinking of using.

Inquisitor, Storm Bolter (optional, you can save 10 points or so by leaving him unarmed)
2 Sages
3 Guardsmen with Plasma Guns
2 Acolytes

150 points

That's 3 BS4 plasma guns a turn, one of which can be rerolled if it misses or overheats.. And you even have a few spare wounds. They will make back monster points if your enemy fields terminators or battlesuits, and can also take down light vehicles. He'll never run away unless you want him to, his troops will hit things very reliably. In short, I think it could be quite a refreshing unit to field.

It's pricey, but believe me, deathwatch kill teams are a points trap, and like all points traps are difficult to use effectively. Think of them as terminators without the armour.

My advice.. If you're going to use one, drop one of the heavy bolters, drop the special ammo and take another veteran with a power fist or power weapon.. you now have a decent enough mincing unit, albeit a very expensive one. Remember the commander has true grit, so giving him a bolt pistol isn't entirely neccessary unless you're desperate for that extra attack on the charge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.