Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Toy Soldier Aficionado
930 Posts
I was just curious to see if anyone still uses them. If you do I would love to know which temple and which army you throw them into.

There's no need to double-post. If you've forgotten to add something you can just use the Edit function. - Katie D

If you don't use them it is ok to just say "Ah he is a mad man for proposing it"

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Depending on what I feel like doing, the ones I'll use are:
-Eversor
-If I'm using DH or WH, then sometimes I take the Eversor, along with 2+ Death Cults.
-Callidus
-Culexus - Only if I'm playing against a generally low-Ld army, and using a WH Inquisitor Lord w/ Divine Pronouncement and/or Purgatus.

I actually have a Vindicare too, but I don't really use him anymore because I usually would rather spend the points elsewhere.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I myself was toying with the idea of a Vindicare for an Adeptus Arbites force, for fluff reasons. Sniper to take out riot leaders, etc.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
This might sound like a silly question, but which codex do you need to use an assassin?
You need either the Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters Codex, they both have the same rules.

Be warned though, you also need to take an allied Inquisitor Lord (with retinue) to unlock the assassin which, even if he has no upgrades and minimal henchmen, is going to cost you a fair whack of points. Expect that allying an assassin will in total cost you close to 200 points at least.

There are some useful builds for the =I= Lord though, (which will cost even more) but he is generally considered to be pretty expensive for what you get.

Sucks, I know. That's why assassins work much better in =I= armies than allied to guard or space marines.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
They are very expensive when it gets down to it. I have a few assassin models I use almost exclusively for Apocalypse sized games where 300 points really doesn't matter to much.

When you get down to it the only time you should consider taking an assassin with guard is when you have about 300 odd points to burn. Everything they can do ( with some exceptions) can be managed with guard models. Eversore assassins are close combat monsters... so to is a squad of conscripts lead by an independent commissar with a power fist.

Vindicare assassins can kill individuals... Leman Russ demolishers can kill whole packs of tough individuals

Celluxes assassins... well we can't really do that... but we could always hit the psyker with a lascannon or three, tends to work just as well.

Callidus well to be honest I don't know that I have actually used mine, under the old old codex assassins these things where nasty, now they feel almost mediocre. The word in your ear is pretty cool, but the having to ( i think can't remember quite right at the moment) disengage from combat makes me scratch my beard. Yes... I want to jump away all of like what d6 inches so you can shoot me a second time! granted this is a different story if your playing like i dunno nids and theres hoards of stuff really close together...

Unless the game is approaching oh say 3k or over you should think long and hard about taking that inquisitor lord and assassin, just think " How many heavy weapons am I missing out on because of this?"

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Callidus well to be honest I don't know that I have actually used mine, under the old old codex assassins these things where nasty, now they feel almost mediocre. The word in your ear is pretty cool, but the having to ( i think can't remember quite right at the moment) disengage from combat makes me scratch my beard. Yes... I want to jump away all of like what d6 inches so you can shoot me a second time! granted this is a different story if your playing like i dunno nids and theres hoards of stuff really close together...

Unless the game is approaching oh say 3k or over you should think long and hard about taking that inquisitor lord and assassin, just think " How many heavy weapons am I missing out on because of this?"
I'm pretty sure that the Callidus Jump Back ability is a "may" not a "must". You don't have to jump back.

Even in this edition the Callidus is the best assassin, but she's pricey so Eversor is pretty awesome in terms of efficiency. The other two I think are a bit of a waste outside of an =I= army, unless you just want them for fluff in which case knock yourself out.

Both of these two assassins (Callidus and Eversor) are great in my experience for psyching out your opponent. Actually that's one of the only good reasons for taking assassins - they tend to freak people out because of their reputation and rarity. I mean Callidus can deep strike without scattering and then move and fight normally, not to mention messing with your enemy's deployment. And Eversor can assault on the first turn and blows up when you kill him. Nuff said.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You need either the Witch Hunters or Daemon Hunters Codex, they both have the same rules.

Be warned though, you also need to take an allied Inquisitor Lord (with retinue) to unlock the assassin which, even if he has no upgrades and minimal henchmen, is going to cost you a fair whack of points. Expect that allying an assassin will in total cost you close to 200 points at least.

There are some useful builds for the =I= Lord though, (which will cost even more) but he is generally considered to be pretty expensive for what you get.

Sucks, I know. That's why assassins work much better in =I= armies than allied to guard or space marines.

I Don't know about teh Witch Hunters, but Daemon Hunters don't need to take an Inquisitor Lord with retinue. You can take just an Inquisitor Lord, or even just a plain old Inquisitor. But either way, that's still another HQ/Elites slot being used and another Xpts that you're taking only so you can take an Assassin, I'd prefer to use those points on more men lol. But I do use teh Vindicare Assassin on occaisions, and I have to admit, while the Inquisitor sat around and twiddled his thumbs, the Assassin did a good job (this one time, at band camp, he blew apart an Aspiring Champion and caused them to make pinning...the 9-man squad failed it's pinning test and sat there doing nothing, 3" away from my Storm Troopers who were holding the objective that were going to win the game for me lol).

Cheers,
Scott

·
2,399 Posts
I was just curious to see if anyone still uses them. If you do I would love to know which temple and which army you throw them into.

There's no need to double-post. If you've forgotten to add something you can just use the Edit function. - Katie D

If you don't use them it is ok to just say "Ah he is a mad man for proposing it"
I do - I love my Vindicate - I play an armour heavy list and love stripping Lascannons out of squads. He may not make his points back in kills if you put them all next to him at the end of the game, but how many of you points did he keep alive?
Never forget the pinning test - all kinds of mischeif there.

I also have an Inquisitor to accompany him - and what else are you doing with your second command choice? You're a guardsman.
So, that's:
Access to a psychic hood, the emperors Tarot (+1 on the going first roll? look at the cost. hmm hard choice ahead...) and in a rhino with a few chums a plausible counter assault squad (Please note if your henchmen are killed the stat increase they give stays - and there's ones there that do WS, Init, BS etc.)
Heck, mystics in pairs slaughter drop troops (psycannons? not a bad weapon choice if you aren't doing a shooty inquisitor)
Things to note - Your Str & Toughness blow. check mixed unit armour rules.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.