Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Assault cannons in 3rd edition just don't cut it anymore...I have yet to find a good use for them. My Terminators seem to do ok with theirs but the dread just falls short. I plan to get a plasma cannon to refit my dread. The lack of range and strength limit the assault cannon...which used to be a meat grinder of a weapon.

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
And I still think it is.
Correct me if Im wrong, but it still fires 3 shots of like the Heavy Bolter, and is stronger by 1, granted it still has its jamming rule, but it always has.

Ok, it may not be the best on 3rd Ed Dreads, but with Terminators, I still think its a good, powerful troop killer. Even more so against Eldar, Guard or any other weak armoured troop unit.

Plus, any Land Speeder Tornados with them armed, are fast attack, which means your getting them right into range of enemy troops.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Toastee, Yeah I agree on Terminators the assault cannon still rocks but on a dread it is overpriced and close to useless. Better to get another weapon. I think the limited range is what kills it for the dread.
I haven't tried any land speeders with em but I plan on adding one to the two standard ones I have already. The fast attack skimmer would better use the now medium ranged assault cannon.

WAAAGH!

·
Normal member Fox D:
3,469 Posts
I dont think it would be pointless having one on if you wanted to purely (Or mostly) use your dread as a bullet magnet, as its a cheap weapon (Along with Twin linked heavy bolters)

I have a friend who uses one of his dreads for this reason. Execpt he takes the TLinked Heavy Bolter, as...
a- Its TLinked
b- Its 3 shots, and no chance of jamming and blowing up.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
in the rule book under the weapons summary and though i like tl heavy bolters more the assault cannon has the power of psychology

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am fine with dread assault cannons, and some people forget how good of an anti-infantry gun it is. It hits on a +3, wounds a space marine on a +2, and has AP4. And it has 3 shots! The likelihood of jamming it is too small to make it an important factor. Just my thought on them.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Epyon
I think my main gripe about the assault cannons short commings was its range.
All your points are valid, and I agree with you. In 2nd edition the assault cannon had a better range, and higher rate of fire. Some times you could get like 7 or 8 hits in one turn...it was wild.

·
Registered
335 Posts
On a slighly different note, I want to get a venerable dreasd but I don't want the assualt cannon given with it. The weapons I would most like to have is either a Twin linked autocannon, Twin linked lascannon or a plasma cannon. What would be the best way to get one of these for the Ven dread?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good point hakbash, but I myself don't find my assault cannon out of range that often, because my stores gaming tables are about 3 by 6 feet. A Twin Linked autocannon would be a better alternative rangewise and has almost as many shots. TEXE2003- Order one off of forgeworld.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
has anyone ever had an assault cannon jam on them in 3rd edition

·
Registered
306 Posts
ive been playing for 3 years and my assault cannon has only jammed 1nces

p.s i always take a twin linked las or a plasma cannon on my dread and if your not getting in range well then use a missle launcher

·
Registered
878 Posts
ragnar blackmane, if you've been playing for 3 years, how come your posts are always so pointless?

I've never seen the assault cannon jam in the 6-7 games I've seen it played.

·
Registered
335 Posts
If you have only been collecting for three years, why do you claim to have all of this. Thats almost physically impossible.

"am am like the #1 space wolf fan i have 2 thunder hawks painted space wolf colors 105 rhinos painted the same at least 1000 guys ( i have 18 las canons and 25 plasma canons) 7 land speeders 30 bikes and 4 land raiders 1 land raider crusaider 15 razor backs and 3 whirlwinds and 4 vindicaters and 2 leman russes 3 preditors 2 of every indepentdant character and4 wolf preists over 50 terminaters 15 rune priest 8 dreadnoughts 40 scouts 3 attack bikes 7 wolf lords and 2 emperors champions

p.s i also have a ork army a tau a necron and a choas and 3 marine armys"

You have also made loads of mistakes on rules (e.g. wolf scouts can have wolf guard terminators leading them). I will stop now before this topic turns into another tirade against you, but next time, don't boast, when you have no right to. (especially with poor grammar skills ;) )

P.S Thats not saying my grammar any better tho, sometimes <_< .

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Actually if you spent $4000+ per year for three years you could get all that stuff. That's only about $350+ per month, every month. Possible, just not likely.

My questions is why in the world you would buy 105 Rhinos and 1000 troops? What's the point? 25 Plasma cannons? <_<

·
Registered
841 Posts
You have also made loads of mistakes on rules (e.g. wolf scouts can have wolf guard terminators leading them). I will stop now before this topic turns into another tirade against you, but next time, don't boast, when you have no right to. (especially with poor grammar skills ;) )

P.S Thats not saying my grammar any better tho, sometimes <_< . [/b]
he made a mistake, so what? does it say anything in the rules 'DONT LIE OR BOAST'? i dont think so, so all im saying is:

let him do what he wants at least hes not breaking any rules

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.