Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I was in a battle where one of my units had already assaulted an independent character and they had piled in at the end of the assault phase, surrounding the IC. However, due to the shape of the terrain I couldn't properly place the models in a decent circle around the IC with a decent-sized gap so I placed them round as best as possible. In the next assault phase it was discovered that the base of my IC that wanted to assault was slightly wider than the gap I was able to leave.
If the units would have been placed on flat terrain there would have been ample room for my IC to assault.
In this situation, would my IC be able to assault or would the physical placement of my first unit prohibit the assault?

I have done a rough sketch though my scales have something to be desired:

Basically, #2 in the unit was on the terrain and #4 and #5 were as close to the other piece of terrain as possible. The terrain was not classed as impassable but the physical shape prevented me from standing the models on the terrain.

We did a 4+ to determine whether it was possible after much discrepancy but I'd like to know what others think.

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Terrain does affect the game. If the IC cannot get into B2B, then they cannot assault.

However, if you and your opponent discuss it before the game and agree otherwise then go for it.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
In the Pile-In move after the first assault, did you move the Independent Character first? (P.49 BRB, "ICs and assaults", paragraph 3 line 3). I know that I overlooked this small rule until it came to light when I was reading up on something else to do with ICs and the assault phase; it's well hidden in that paragraph!

Something to bear in mind the next time you go a-huntin' enemy characters ;)

E.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Skar - does this include units that otherwise ignore difficult terrain?

eigle - The IC was completely independent; it can't join units and assaulted in the turn after the pile-in move.

If it makes any difference my IC was a Deceiver & the unit was Destoyers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you need to move your ic first before making any other moves with the unit he joined. My question is can he move through the unit he is a part off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you need to move your ic first before making any other moves with the unit he joined. My question is can he move through the unit he is a part off?
The IC couldn't join a unit.

Kelter - I'm not 100% sure on this - one bit was a short wall ("Urban barricade" as GW calls it) that we don't class as impassable and provides a 4+ cover save to infantry. The other was a tank trap, which we don't class as difficult terrain for infantry and also provides a 4+ CS. It represents about 3'-4' of the remains of a wall, though we've never come across an instance where a unit was standing on it. As illustrated in the picture, one model was situated on the wall, though the physical shape prevented me from placing two of my models in base-to-base to allow a sufficient gap for the IC to assault.
Basically, if the models were physically touching each other there would be a decent-sized gap left open. As the real-life shape of the terrain prevented the models from standing next to each other on the terrain piece, the IC couldn't fit between two of the bases, where the gap had been left.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.